Posts by wacker

Hi all,

i need some help to optimise my workflow with RM.

Whem i have to reamp DI tracks for Bands, i do a quick preselection of suitable profiles, but do also some tweaks to them (gain, amp EQ, maybe another cab, etc) and do then a "snapshot". So i do avoid the complex "save as" process with renaming. I can't also overwrite the profiles, because every band and every guitar require another adjustments of profiles.

When i have enough alternatives (5-6 Profiles), i can go to "Quick" and filter the selection again and maybe re-adjust profiles and store them again as "snapshot". All that procedure is very convenient and pretty fast.

Now with Rig Manager the first preselection phase is even faster. But the second one, when i am already in the "QUICK" List, is still the same: i have to reach to and use Kemper knobs to switch the preselected profiles in the "Quick" list, the head is not in the monitoring position, etc pp.

Now the question:
    how do You solve that problem? How can i do adjustments and get that modified profiles instantly in RM, without saving and renaming them on Kemper with device knobs?

I think, one of the simple solutions would be to program the next RM version so, that on the Profiler it can see that temporary "QUICK" folder. When i tipp "Snapshot", Kemper must store that temporary, since i could not get my adjustments in tte QUICK list or isnt it so?. If yes, there should be no problem for RM to see that temporary folder. Then i can rename it, drag it to a lokal folder or preview it without to reach for knobs on Kemper.
    Another solution would be the own function of RM to make their "QUICK" list. For that it must be able to read the momentary profile configuration and store it anywhere, where i can see and use it.

What do You think about that?

Best regards
    Alex

So, yesterday i solved my problem :) The solution is not logical at all, but it worked :P -

The "Windows Updates" service has to be active, then the driver installation happens without any problem. My comupter ist not connected to internet, so no Updates were downloaded or installed :D:D:D

It seems, Windows blocks the Kemper driver installation, when this service is deaktivated. Logical? As logical as Windows himself 8o

After the proper installation i deaktivated it again. Until now RigManager works korrekt with the Kemper device.

Best regards
    Alex

I have a similar problem on my Win7 64bit system. In device manager i can see "Profiler", bur the drivers are not properly installed and so the connection does not work. On saturday i have send log-Files, that Kemper Support asked for, to them. Maybe today they can find out, what is wrong with my system :).

Best regards
    Alex

G String, thanks, but it does not help me at the moment :)))

I know, that the installer contains everything needed for kemper installation. In other case it would not work on every other mashine.

But on my computer with my OS it does not work properly. So i have to search for a possibility to find out, where the problem is. If you can show me, where the installer should store the driver dll, i can prove, if it is there or not. If you give me the right dll, i can also prove, if the driver dll from installer gets "broken" by installation process (Windows problems, permissions, etc pp). So i can isolate the problem and may be solve it.

Beste regards
    Alex

Hi to all,

i red the posts in this thread, but did not understand, what to do 8| . May be You can help me with my problem.

Today i tried to install RM and connect my Kemper to the computer. But it seems, Windows can not install the driver for the Kemper properly. Rm does not see the Kemper.

My system: German Win7 Prof 64bit, RM version beta 2 64bit, Kemper OS 2.3.2 beta (Kemper does work on its own)
    In the Device Manager i see the Profiler, but the info says, that it does not work properly, no drivers are installed. By "Treiber aktualisiern" (renew drivers, sorry for my english), windows says like: "found driver software, but during the installation an error occured. The device does not work properly".

Do You know, how to install the driver properly? How to check the dll (or .inf or ini ?? no idea, what is the right one) and where to find that one? May be i can install the proper driver derictly with the right dll file or somthing similar?

Best regards and thank You in advance
    Alex

One more Info: i have no internet connection on the computer for music production. And there wont be one. So the problem has to be solved directly, with files and installers, that i can trasport via USB flash drive.

The Smolski signature profiles by Chris H are very good

The mic-Cab choice/position are (imho) the week place in those profiles. And as soon as you change the cabinet for, lets say Tills one, you "loose" the personality of the ton stack of the amp. Did anyone tried to set the same cab (Tills) to profiles of the same amp with different ton stack settings? they get very close to each other, although with the original cab (profiled with the amp) they sound very different.

So for me it would be more heplful to get profiles of the amp with right mic-cab choice/position and use them as they are (with small tweeks) instead of having profiles, where i have to change the cab for a foreign one, although i do that very often to get the desired ton, but would love to have the fitting profiles as a whole. I dont want to end up with almost identical sound on every album, i have to mix/reamp.

The second mp3 clip sounds almost of to good to be true. Is it kemper or real? It's sounds very real and very professional.
    please share!

because of the very good playing and testy music :) Give them a Pod and it will still sound professional :P

btw, jonwormwood, the limiter stage on the master overdrives/distorts on the drums (spec. on the low end rich bass drum) a bit too obvious. Mix is really cool. Playing and music - no comments :thumbup:

Well, it seems like you've already made up your mind.

No, no, really, dont understand me wrong. When i had already made a decision regarding my main question (Bundle IV vs NG for metal), then i really would not bother people here.

and all in all - having paid for profiles several times - i'm not sure i see a good reason to do so.

For me, it is not the money, why i have asked my question here, instead of buying all the packs and try it myself. It is the amount of the profiles i may never use in the future, when they are not the right ones for me. At the other side, nobody knows, what is right for me. So i asked for personal/subjektive opinions of people, who owns both and works at the same style of music.

Just EQ the thing. That's precisely what the profiler controls are there for

You surely already tried to fix the wrong mic position/choice with EQ, did You? If yes, no other explanations are needed.

Hi, Thanks for the answer!

i have already listened/worked with all the free profiles you listed. Thomas van beek profiles are indeed very good, but not all. 2 of them are my favorites. "Thumas" und "okstrat" have also done very good profiles. There are also some very good VH4 profiles bei Dirk Gooding. Keith Merrows pack ist not my cup of tee. This is not the amp tone, i personaly like. Fluffs pack is great regarding the amps, but the cabs+mics are also not 100% my taste. I can switch the cabinets for the Till Schleicher ones. You are right, threre are tons of possibilities for free.

BUT! What i am searchng for, is a very versatile set with absoltue stabile results. I dont know, if You play only for You, or also work for other people. If You play only for You, than there is no problem to find a bunch of free profiles, that You (Your guitar) are happy with. When You work for others, you get every time another/variable input as material (different guitar, different strings, different DI Box for tracking, different arrangement, etc pp....). And setup, that worked yesterday perfectly, could not work at all today. And often it is not an absolute other amp, that is need, but the variation of lets say cabinet, often even a variation of the amp controls, mic+placement would do the job perfectly. If you have only the free profiles, you have unicums! 1 profile, that either works perfect or does not. If you take another profile of the same amp (another owner), than it can sound absolute different due to other room/cab/mic/etc pp. But you were searching for small variations to fit the sound. Free profiles can lead you very fast to the desired result, but can also let you search for a while without any success.

If i get a set of profiles for 1 amp, but a lot of different amp controls and mic positions/combinations AND (presupposition) i know what i have to change in the current settings to get the desired ton, then i am a lot faster at the finish line.

Sure, when there is a profissional at work, he can get a pro ton with almost all sort of input (free profiles or payed, it does not matter). But we all are different and consider different approach by the work.

Best regards
    Alex

PS: thank You for the link with the single track from NG pack. It sounds the way i like it.

Hi all,

i need some help on my decision. I am searching for good profiles for use in studio work (mainly reamping the DIs for the bands). So the profiles should be versatile for use with different guitars etc... The music style is very often metal (core) und rock. Now the question:

One of the profiles i will buy definitely, is the VH4 from Soundside. I also need good "standard" metal amps like 6505 (5150), Recto, ... So it would be very tempting to buy Armins Bundle IV (specialy with the Summer discount). But are this profiles very good for metal? The VH4 is definitely on the list because of the overall versatility of this set. But the rest?

The alternative would be: to buy only VH4 set + Northern Gateway Metal Bundle. in the price there is almost no difference. Would this be a more proper set for metal and heavy music? In the NGP sound examples i hear a lot of the tracking room, but there are only the mix examples, no separate guitar tracks. Can anybody give me a small sound clip with only 1 guitar (mono) and absolutly no postprocessing and fx's?

People, who own both and make the same style of music, can You please share Your experience regarding my question?

Thank to All in Advance

I also had an still have this problems, when going SPDIF. I corrected the clock settings in my RME Multiface II Settting Dialog and the most clicks are gone. BUT, when i select another profile i get clicks in the first 3-5 seconds. Then they are gone and i can reamp without any troubles. But the initial clicks (small pops) just after loading a profile are still there.

The problem with multimics is almost always the phase between them. I have had many trackings, where the phase shift was as small as 2-4 samples (at 44,1) and the mids and highend were messed up. But 2-4 samples are 15-30 mm. When you close mic the same LS, then the microphone near the cone center is often a bit more far away, then the one near the edge (because of the geometry of the membrane). Unless you KNOW that or take the grill off, it is easy to overlook that. And its not as obvious in the tone. When you record 2 separate tracks to DAW, you can later control and correct for that (an so hear the difference between 100% korrekt phase and this small phase shift). But when you mix it instantly on a desk (to send the mix to Kemper), you have no control more. So it is VERY easy to overlook that :) Result -> a profile/sound, that can get very good, but can also get not as good (and often bad), as with only 1 mic, properly positioned.

So for me multimicing for profiling should only be done with precontrol on the DAW. Position mics, track a small piece, control it (phase shift and fader proportions). If everything is fine, go to Kemper, if not, correct the distance and take another try :)

By far micing + close micing the story gets even more complicated :)))

Reamping box between KPA Send and RM Input would serve as impedance "converter" (sorry for a bad english). But you should test the levels first. It could be, after the reamping box it is to hot (regarding to the used transformer).