SoundSide Bundle IV for Metal?

• Hi all,

i need some help on my decision. I am searching for good profiles for use in studio work (mainly reamping the DIs for the bands). So the profiles should be versatile for use with different guitars etc... The music style is very often metal (core) und rock. Now the question:

One of the profiles i will buy definitely, is the VH4 from Soundside. I also need good "standard" metal amps like 6505 (5150), Recto, ... So it would be very tempting to buy Armins Bundle IV (specialy with the Summer discount). But are this profiles very good for metal? The VH4 is definitely on the list because of the overall versatility of this set. But the rest?

The alternative would be: to buy only VH4 set + Northern Gateway Metal Bundle. in the price there is almost no difference. Would this be a more proper set for metal and heavy music? In the NGP sound examples i hear a lot of the tracking room, but there are only the mix examples, no separate guitar tracks. Can anybody give me a small sound clip with only 1 guitar (mono) and absolutly no postprocessing and fx's?

People, who own both and make the same style of music, can You please share Your experience regarding my question?

Thank to All in Advance

Edited once, last by wacker ().

• Hi!
    I've got the Soundside Bundle IV pack and the cleans are really nice but for metal and rock it didn't sound right for me.

If i where you i would try out the free user-made profiles and metalpacks before buying lots of expensive profiles.

First you have to try out "TOTW 6" and "TOTW 7". i think they sound awsome in a mix without any mixing. search for them in the rig exchange. TOTW 6 sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…=UUiAKprQWHhbcgHq58vvcblg

Second you have to try Keith Merrows metalpack. sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZuTao0gXQ. to download go to SUPPORT on the kemper site. then in category chose "rigpacks" and look for "Keith Merrow Signature Rig Pack"

then you have to try fluff's metalpack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…20Kemper%20Amp%20Pack.zip sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?f…er_embedded&v=GMDrUuD_mb4

I havn't tried the NG metal bundle but it sure sounds nice in the demos. I found a solo, mono guitartrack like you asked for: https://soundcloud.com/tonyschumacher/evh-iii-red-e1-solo

have fun and good luck! :D

• Hi, Thanks for the answer!

i have already listened/worked with all the free profiles you listed. Thomas van beek profiles are indeed very good, but not all. 2 of them are my favorites. "Thumas" und "okstrat" have also done very good profiles. There are also some very good VH4 profiles bei Dirk Gooding. Keith Merrows pack ist not my cup of tee. This is not the amp tone, i personaly like. Fluffs pack is great regarding the amps, but the cabs+mics are also not 100% my taste. I can switch the cabinets for the Till Schleicher ones. You are right, threre are tons of possibilities for free.

BUT! What i am searchng for, is a very versatile set with absoltue stabile results. I dont know, if You play only for You, or also work for other people. If You play only for You, than there is no problem to find a bunch of free profiles, that You (Your guitar) are happy with. When You work for others, you get every time another/variable input as material (different guitar, different strings, different DI Box for tracking, different arrangement, etc pp....). And setup, that worked yesterday perfectly, could not work at all today. And often it is not an absolute other amp, that is need, but the variation of lets say cabinet, often even a variation of the amp controls, mic+placement would do the job perfectly. If you have only the free profiles, you have unicums! 1 profile, that either works perfect or does not. If you take another profile of the same amp (another owner), than it can sound absolute different due to other room/cab/mic/etc pp. But you were searching for small variations to fit the sound. Free profiles can lead you very fast to the desired result, but can also let you search for a while without any success.

If i get a set of profiles for 1 amp, but a lot of different amp controls and mic positions/combinations AND (presupposition) i know what i have to change in the current settings to get the desired ton, then i am a lot faster at the finish line.

Sure, when there is a profissional at work, he can get a pro ton with almost all sort of input (free profiles or payed, it does not matter). But we all are different and consider different approach by the work.

Best regards
    Alex

PS: thank You for the link with the single track from NG pack. It sounds the way i like it.

• Well, it seems like you've already made up your mind.
    The question is whether a VH4, Mesa Recto and Roadking, MarkV, Dark Terror and Modena are good amps for a metal production, and i believe you can answer that for yourself. ^^

For what it's worth, i agree with The_Bass_Ace - Pete (Okstrat) has a site, and personally i'm waiting for the next batch which should contain profiles of his VHT CLX.
    He usually does consistent work from what i've heard the new batch is one of the best i've heard.
    Nakedzen has a bunch of good Mako and Recto profiles, Tills cabs is a must and i'm working on a metal-oriented cab pack as we speak, and all in all - having paid for profiles several times - i'm not sure i see a good reason to do so.

Other than that, customizing a tone to an amp would be more convenient, consistent and effective via post and pre-processing.
    Just EQ the thing. That's precisely what the profiler controls are there for.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Well, it seems like you've already made up your mind.

No, no, really, dont understand me wrong. When i had already made a decision regarding my main question (Bundle IV vs NG for metal), then i really would not bother people here.

and all in all - having paid for profiles several times - i'm not sure i see a good reason to do so.

For me, it is not the money, why i have asked my question here, instead of buying all the packs and try it myself. It is the amount of the profiles i may never use in the future, when they are not the right ones for me. At the other side, nobody knows, what is right for me. So i asked for personal/subjektive opinions of people, who owns both and works at the same style of music.

Just EQ the thing. That's precisely what the profiler controls are there for

You surely already tried to fix the wrong mic position/choice with EQ, did You? If yes, no other explanations are needed.

• I don't know how you define "metal", but of course the VH4, Roadster and Rectifier from Bundle 4 are excellent metal-monsters. They got everything you need, deep mids, a lot of gain and nevertheless clarity, they are also very authentic compared with the real amps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Bundle IV is our Metal bundle.

Yes, the best way to check it out is to buy only one pack and if you like the profiles to upgrade to the full bundle later.
    In this case you can choose one pack from any other bundle for free.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de