Posts by Gary_W

Happens for me too.

Your web address in your sig file takes you to the correct web address. The 'website address' you've listed in the main text of your post takes me to FB as well :)

Tbh, if you're just playing in your room, powered monitors with the Kemper will be far kinder to your hearing and your neighbours. But there will probably be a mindset issue for you at first..... If you're using a Carvin legacy in your room and are considering a Bogner Ecstacy for the same purpose then you obviously like something that removes the plaster from the walls :)

I only have a 1x12 at home and, with children's bedtimes, it's been hard to use even that on a regular basis with a 7w valve amp as it makes the windows shake. Incidentally, I gigged that amp in an 8 piece band! At home, I usually used this amp through a dummy load and then went straight into Redwirez impulses so I'm well used to hearing 'guitar through monitors' vs hearing 'guitar through cabinet'. For this reason, the Kemper was an instant hit with me as I wasn't fighting my own guitarist instinct that 'I must have a cabinet with big speakers in it'.

Being able to have the monitor speakers loud (but not painful or antisocial) and getting sweet spots of any amp you like is wonderful.

Have you set the Kemper to be the master clock? Mine does exactly what your sound clip does if my soundcard SPDIF clock is running on 'internal'. Setting the soundcard to external SPDIF fixes it.

Hope it's that simple for you :)

No offensive, but your making a pretty big assumption. Your argument is a company who released a product with an expectation of a 10 year lifecycle of updates didn't create some type of roadmap prior to release to reserve memory for planned future updates. I just can't see that. Especially since David Torn dropped a hint that he was participating in some capacity about adding a looping feature to the KPA.

Yup.

Hence me saying

"So I've put 2+2 together. I quite accept that I may be making 5 - in fact I really hope that my reasoning is terrible on this occasion and that they get one going in a simple and elegant manner :)"

What makes you guys assume the 1000 profile limit is due to the KPA running out of memory? My bet is its running out of the allocated memory to store profiles...

Regarding loopers, love the stuff Digitech has done. But right now I've been using the looper in the Zoom G3.

Well.....

If the profiler has a writeable memory large enough to do looping in a decent manner, you'd imagine this would have been turned on much sooner in the product life than now if a looper was always intended. Otherwise it's been sat there doing a whole bunch of nothing for a long time.

If a looper was not always intended and the spare memory is there, then firmware would (surely?) be able to access that memory to store profiles and would not limit you to 1000.

So I've put 2+2 together. I quite accept that I may be making 5 - in fact I really hope that my reasoning is terrible on this occasion and that they get one going in a simple and elegant manner :)

I have the Ditto Looper - I bought it before I had the Kemper.

With a mono setup, the Ditto is (IMO) an excellent 'dead simple' looper. Sound quality is great (true bypass and 24bit for the stuff it records). 5 mins of loop, overdub, stop, undo once and volume of the loop you're playing back. That's about it.

But it is MONO. The way I wish to use it now is in the stereo fx loop of the Kemper and for that reason it is now not ideal.

One of the Digitech pedals which was due out in July was a similar price / feature set but was stereo. Not clear how the sound quality compares with the TC though.

As to one being built in to the Kemper with a future update? That'd be great but I'm guessing it'd have to write to an external usb for memory reasons. After all, the rig profiles are tiny and we can 'only' have 1000 or so before the system runs out of room if I understand it correctly (forgive me if not - I'm still new!). So if that's the case, I'm guessing the Kemper doesn't have much spare room so where would looping capacity go? Has to be USB I think or not at all. Anyone 'in the know' care to comment?

They do as singles. The bundles are pre-bundled so you cannot mix and match ending with the same amount of profiles within the bundles but of your choosing.

This would be nice. Forget the bundles. Do them for £X for an individual amp. If you buy 10 amp profiles of your choice you get a discount. Buy 20 you get a bigger discount or whatever.

I recently got a load from Andy - I'm very happy with them indeed but I picked singles from all the bundles. The amount I spent was the same as if I'd bought bundle 2..... In that, I would have got 25 different amp profiles. I ended up getting 18, but my thoughts were 'better to get 18 you really want than get 24 where you only want 9 of them......

This isn't me complaining - that is the way the site was set up at the time of purchase and I am happy with what I have bought. It's just feedback that, in an ideal world, I'd like the ability to build my own custom bundle and to recognise that a bit of discount for a bulk purchase that suits me would be nice.

On a wider issue, I would not consider ripping commercial profiles off - I've bought them using the T's & C's of the site and that is that. If I'm happy with the moral position of someone selling me a profile (which I am) then I have to morally accept that it has a value in the same way as any other digital media. It is the same, morally at that point, as ripping off a CD IMO. Just because you can doesn't mean you should ;)

If Kemper sort out the rig exchange such that it's easier to find the real gems (of which there are many I'm sure) then the commercial sites will have less business which will be a shame..... They are not expensive in the great scheme of things for the pleasure they give / convenience. At the moment, I don't have the energy to sort through 3000 free profiles on the rig exchange with little guidance - it is like a library where the books are all thrown in a big pile in the floor. A shame as some of the books will doubtless be on par or better than the commercial efforts. Faced with that, I'd rather pay a few pounds and get something I can easily find that I know will be good.

Gary

Brilliant - glad you finally got it.

I am deeply in love here - did you go for the Amp Factory bundle deal they do?

If not, still go to that page and get the free stuff. Loads and loads of great free ones on the rig exchange too (I think the Morgan 20 is superb for starters).

If your one is one of the pair that came into Andertons last week, mine was the other :)

Mine was at 1.8.x when it arrived. I put on 2.0 then the latest. No idea if I needed both steps and no idea if everything I *should* have is here but it all works at least.

I went for their Ampfactory bundle deal when I got it which was very worthwhile IMO. There are some wonderful noises in the box and the rig exchange without them though so either way you'll have sore fingers tomorrow!!

I connected an expression pedal for the first time today.

I was surprised that you have to globally assign it to either volume, wah or pitch. Is that right?

It really needs to be saved as part of a rig as to what it does - ability to tweak any parameter (and multiple parameters) on a rig-by-rig basis would make sense. I don't really want to have to connect a midi board to do this.....

Reading your question again.... Did you mean:-

a) Which effects have no use

b) Which effects on the Kemper are not of sufficient quality to make you happy.

If you meant (b) then perhaps you are getting upset because everyone misunderstood your question.

If you meant (a) then I think you've had some fair answers already.

If you did mean 'which Kemper effects don't live up to expectations', my honest answer is that I don't 100% know yet as I'm only a few days in. But first impressions are:-

I've raised in another thread that the Fuzz sounds good but does not behave exactly like a vintage fuzz pedal. I've said that I prefer my actual rangemaster pedal (a home-made clone) to the software version in the Kemper but as I haven't tweaked that opinion may be unfair. I've also said that, so far, the mod effects are exceeding my expectations and that I really like the reverbs but a spring and plate would be nice.

So now I've answered two versions of your question :) Is this the way you meant it?

What I mean is that the cranked Bassman profile has quite a bit of noise. But it's unfair for me to judge this vs anything else as I do not own a real Bassman that I can crank so I don't really know how much of the noise caused is due to 'what the real amp does' vs 'what my guitar / lead / environment does' :)

But what does that mean? :rolleyes:

What is "turkey foil"?

Apologies - it is aluminium foil. In the UK, we only really cook a turkey at Christmas and typically it'll be a bird the size of a small house. The only way to cook it through it to cover it with aluminium foil so as the outside is not burnt whilst the inside is still raw.

And you all thought we could only cook roast beef :D

Anyway, the roll of aluminium foil gets called turkey foil here because turkey is easier to spell than aluminium :) It has the benefit of being cheap, available, easy to mould into a pickup cavity and it conducts electricity. So it's what I use to screen a guitar :)

Almost the opposite for me. Seems to pick up every bit of my 60 cycle hum. :(

Sorry if this is a silly suggestion but have you tried the ground lifts? Depending what you're connected to may have a ground loop going on?

I'm an obsessive screener of guitars - all of mine get treated with turkey foil but even so you'll never 100% eliminate it. Noiseless pickups help in this regard but they do sound different in some ways vs traditional pickups IMO. I recently replaced some Fender noiseless in my Tele with scatterwound traditionals. I screened at the same time and my mod has made it quieter :)

As to Kemper vs amp in terms of noise - I've only had it 2 days, but I'm undecided yet whether the Kemper or my amps are louder in terms of hum at equivalent output level. I need to fire up both my amps and record via a dummy load and Redwirez to see what the differences are. I think the noise floor (to me) is more noticeable on the Kemper BUT

1) it has a noise gate which helps for sure but it also draws your ear to the noise when it is there

2) neither of my amps is a cranked to the nuts vintage Bassman which probably suffered noise issues anyway so where the single coil hum ends and the noise due to this kicks in I'm not yet sure due to being new at this

Hi all,

On day 2 of the honeymoon. Not so much playing today as other things in life took over. It's actually summer here in the UK for the first time since about 1976 and I'm enjoying it :)

I've built a few fuzz pedals in the past - one of them is currently connected to my Kemper and it works very well with it. I am so pleased this unit works so well with external pedals. Haven't tried my home-made Fuzz Factory or Meathead yet - that's on the 'to do' list for the weekend.

Anyway. If you have a decent fuzz based on a Fuzz Face circuit, it cleans up if you back off the volume pot on your guitar. This is due to the loading interaction it has with your guitar pickups and it helps you to create some great tones.

The fuzz in the Kemper doesn't seem to do this. I'm actually impressed by it in other respects (I put it on the Amp Factory Bassman (cranked) profile I have and it almost does an octave fuzz thing as it's getting so wonderfully silly). So it's a LOT better than I thought it'd be. But on the cleanup thing? It just doesn't do it.... It seems to stay fuzzing away until you turn the volume to zero and then it just stops. Very little cleanup.

The amp profiles work just like a real amp IMO as far as interaction with your volume pot goes. Is there any chance in a future update that the Fuzz will share this behaviour?

I haven't really played with the other stomp boxes yet to see how they fare in this respect..... Bed needed so tomorrow night I have myself a date :D

Not sure there is any such thing - there are just ones you like and ones you don't.

I think a lot of folks find chorus hard to love purely because it was so over-used in the 80's. I'm enjoying the ones in here, used in a subtle way, but as always you can have too much of a good thing.... to give something a little movement without the potential for cheese, I prefer phaser. Subtle again.