Posts by timdabel

Thanks Burkhard, I will see if there is anything I can change on the POD. I will also look very closely at the behavior when I press the tap tempo switch. I don't think I can change the way the midi is sent of the HD500, but I may be able to. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

I have been having an issue with the Beat scanner feature and my POD HD500x. I have been running the pod as a midi controller for the Kemper, which has been working fine up until now. Since the beat scanner feature has been implemented, I have not been able to tap tempo during a live performance as the Kemper goes into beat detection and changes the tempo based on what I am playing which may not be what I want it to do.

I don't believe there is a way to change the tap tempo foot switch midi value on the HD500x to fix this issue, but if someone knows of a way, please feel free to share!

After reading some of the other posts, it appears that beat scanner cannot be turned off, which is a bummer considering that I now can't use the tap tempo. It looks like the newest firmware fixed the issue with regards the UNO 4 Kemper guys, but not for others. It looks like I may just have to go back to the older version of firmware to get rid of beat detection for now. Thanks for any help anyone might provide.

I would vote for Variant 2. Even though it is cliche, for my use in creating ambient soundscapes, etc. it would be best. Right now what I do is have a long delay with the delay reverb mix set to be on the delay tails, that way when I swell in on the volume pedal there isn't a huge reverb created on the initial note, just the delayed notes. Having a very long reverb then gives a great ambient effect. Thanks for this feature by the way CK!

I looked at just about everything I could find Midi-wise to control my Kemper before I settled on the POD HD500x. Even though it seems complicated, I really like using my POD HD500x (regular HD500 works too, the X3 won't do all the same midi commands, but would probably work fine too) to do midi switching.

It does everything with just one midi cable, has 1 pedal so it is pretty compact and has a toe switch to switch between wah/volume (if you have a wah setup in the patch) you can program it by creating a preset template, copying that to all the slots (the template I use is setup to control the kemper with midi) and then just tell the kemper which rig to assign to which midi command.

I have been using it with the Kemper for 6 months or so with no issues. The best thing is, it has a real screen which shows the presets (if you enter the names in the POD software) so you know what preset name is coming up instead of just seeing a flashing number. It helps in a live situation so you don't get turned around and press the wrong bank.

Used HD500's are between $250 and $350 at Guitar Center and there are a lot for sale. This combo is hard to beat price wise and performance wise. The really high cost Midi foot controllers like Gordius, Liquid foot, etc. would probably be even better, but they cost so much more than even a brand new HD500x. Good luck with your Midi controller search!

This is good news. I'm planning on using mine at church as well. I am trying to decide if I want to go with the axe II or keep the kemper. I currently have the kemper and axe standard. My issue is that it's missing the ability to use serial or parallel delays like tomlin etc. I like to run a couple delays for swells. I have thought about running the pedals in the loop or in front of the amp with the foot controller when it comes out, but ideally I would like to go pedal free. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I am completely pedal free at the moment. I have a POD HD500 as a controller, I don't use it for effects mostly to keep everything as simple as possible. I would have to check the settings I use for my swells rig, but basically I run a really long, huge reverb with a long delay. It works pretty well. I would like some sort of modulated reverb and something that pitch shifts just the tails of the reverb/delay to get a more synth pad type sound, but it works pretty well for what I need (not doing as much in the way of swells since we added a second keys player that mainly does synth stuff). I also had a tough time deciding whether to get the Kemper or the AXE II. I ultimately decided on the Kemper because of the simplicity and the immediately good sounds I could get right out of the box. These days, I don't really have time to tweak, so I love the Kemper (and I love it for the sounds too!) The main reason I am pedal free is because I had to sell them all to be able to buy the Kemper. Otherwise I would have probably kept my Timeline for more delay options. That one is hard to beat for worship guitarists. I can try to send the rig I use for swells if you want, it is basically just the free AC20 rig that is on the forum with the big reverb and long delay. I play a White Falcon(even though it is cliche worship guitarist, I love it), so you may need to adjust things for whatever guitar you play, but I like the setup pretty well.

I am the guitar player for our church of about 400 (my wife and I are also the Worship leaders). We do all the modern stuff (Hillsong, Tomlin, Brewster, Jesus Culture, etc. - and the classics too!) and I have been using a Kemper for the last 6 months with excellent results (I go straight into the board, but I have the powered Kemper so I power a Crate floor wedge with it for my monitor). I love it! I purchased a POD HD500 to use solely as a foot controller since it is relatively compact, and has a pedal with a toe switch for going between wah and volume. When I was looking for a Midi foot controller, I couldn't find one that can do as much as the HD500 for anywhere near the price, plus as the others have said, you have a backup if your Kemper has any issues. For P&W music it is pretty much perfect. I just wish it could do what my timeline could do with pitch shifted delay tails, but tone wise it is great.

I was using a Morgan DAG15 before the Kemper and was constantly having to turn it down (we don't have a good backstage room to mic the amp and turn it up in) and was always "the problem with the sound" and the Kemper has basically fixed all that. I sold all my pedals (Timeline, Fulldrive, Timmy, Hall of Fame, Boiling Point, etc, etc, etc) to buy it and I am really happy I did. I found the Morgan AC20 profile on the rig exchange and I have basically been using that as my "amp" all the time. Sounds a lot like my DAG15! I think if more church players took an actual listen they would go with a Kemper over their tube amps (especially if their sound guys have any say in the matter!) Glad to see more guys that have a Profiler playing in church, it is a near perfect match.