Posts by ewrath

I too have a DXR10 on (back)order... I plan on using the monitor out (on powerhead/MonitorCabOff engaged) to continue to drive a guitar cab, one of the main outputs to the PA (if and when applicable) and the other main to the DXR (mains set to mono of course) in front of me as a wedge.

Question, can I use one XLR main output and one 1/4 (unbalanced)? It would save me implementing a extra adapter for the Cablesnake I have... I looked thru both KPA manuals, no mention of problem with mixing line types, but...I don't want to blow my Kemper up!!! 8|

Also any other disadvantages?

Thanks for forum support - played 4 shows and got lots of compliments on KPA !!!

There is no 2-way MIDI with the standard UNO, or at least I couldn't figure it out. You simply need to program the FCB to mirror the KPA rig. For example, program an FCB to trigger rig assigned to MIDI PC 1, and then you program all the stomp (CC) pedals to match their state in when the rig loads. Then whenever you stomp on the pedal assigned to MIDI PC 1, all the CC pedals will light up accordingly.

Nice work around! I really like the idea of 3 expression pedals - even if FAMC never get back to me I could put a pedal directly into the KPA and use the the other 2 on the FCB (with the regular UNO chip)
    (( and a decent MIDI interface ;) ))
    ((( and the official editor :whistling: )) )
    (((( and not breaking the chip :pinch: ))))

Thanks both for the advice! - I have a better interface on the way and I might go down the regular UNO path again.... I basically put up this post since after hours/days of trying to get concise info (like a side by side comparison chart, known issues like the interface, editing software recommendations) on both those chips I still ended up having to try them myself. And learn the hard way!

Will, if I understand your tip for syncing the stomp lights, you achieve it w/o the 2 way MIDI?

Thanks again - I've read alot of posts here from both you guys and learned a lot in 3 weeks... I appreciate the sharing of knowledge. :)

I've had my KPA (Power rack) for almost a month. Played a show, got 3 more coming up quick. Sounds good!

I’m currently using a FCB 1010 with the UNO4Kemper chip – my MIDI needs are simple, yet specific. I have a hi gain rhythm “rig” and a version of the same rig with delay and an EQ bump for solos. I also over use a wah pedal (Bad Horsie II) :whistling: For less than $200 USD the Berhinger w/ UNO4Kemper has been a good solution. I also tried to use the standard Uno chip…. More on that below. I’m currently gathering gear for my “perfect” controller set up (I hope).

FCB1010 w/ UNO 4 Kemper chip
    The good: works great, easy to set up, supports 2 way MIDI w/ KPA so you see the tuner on the FCB display plus the stomp LED’s light up in sync. I’ve replaced both wah pedal and tuner so now only the FCB on the floor in front of me.
    The not so good: Expression pedals only will control wah and volume; cannot be edited at all with desktop software (that I know of), so a lot of neat stuff you might think up or see others doing you can’t implement (like assigning the expression pedals to different functions); “Switch” function inactive. The overall size is a little large.

FCB1010 with standard UNO chip
    My experiment with this was a fail – but probably due to mitigating circumstance: A cheap MIDI>USB cable didn’t seem to recognize the chip, Ed’s PC editor referred to it as “berhinger – unknown”. Might also have something to do with XP OS on my PC… but I could, kinda send programing to the UNO chip. The volume pedal function worked fine and I managed to assign the other pedal to delay mix, cc #68, on Kemper but it just seemed to turn the delay on – moving the pedal back to heel didn’t reduce the delay mix… A bunch of other stuff obviously wasn’t working, like the stomp box features, maybe due to cable issue so I decided to quit while I was behind. Broke a leg off the UNO chip removing it ;( so this line of experimenting is finished for the meantime.

The good: A lot more flexible than UNO4Kemper (in theory – see above)
    The not so good: Doesn’t support the 2 way MIDI so you don’t get tuner or stomp box light sync. A lot more work (and obviously) more chance for problems.

I popped the UNO4Kemper chip back in and quickly got back to square one.

I would, ultimately, like to have 3 expression pedals , Wah, Delay Mix, and volume – then I could just use them live and not need to jump around between presets – I find simpler better for me live.

Liquid Foot LF+ JR+ with 3 pedals
    This is what I am now trying to put together … I got a Mission spring loaded so I can have the “touchless” feel of the Morley ( the FCB is OK but I really miss the spring action) and 2 Roland EV-5 pedals, mostly because the footprint; the JR+ and these 3 pedals should fit in a 24” pedal case.

I am already hitting road blocks – it looks like the JR (or any Liquidfoot controllers) only sweep expression pedals from 0-127, one can’t designate a min and max range…? If this is true I’m a bit taken aback since I presumed this would be basic functionality which I believe a lot of controllers have… ?(

Also, just trying to order a Liquid Foot product has been a bit frustrating. The details of the communications are dreary so I won’t go into them here, but I’ve been trying for a week and it’s unclear to me whether I have successfully ordered and/or if I can expect one at any time soon.

That’s all I got folks! My eyes are bleeding from forum reading... I get a replacement KPA this week since the one I have has dead pixels in the display so I'll be busy restoring my sound to the new unit the day before the big show!! (opening for the Dickies at the Long Beach Zombie Walk) 8o

I just calibrated my FCB 1010 (with UNO 4 Kemper)- the wah worked w/o calibration but no go on volume pedal - I don't remember the codes it flashed, seemed like they might have been wrong (or different from manual, anyway) --- it worked out regardless..

My RJM mastermind results in a delay between presets... I'm going to try a FCB 1010, with either UNO4Kemper chip or standard Uno chip... we'll see how that goes (still waiting for chip(s) in the mail)!

I use a Visual Sound Time Bandit to dial in BPM - via one of the 1/4" stereo footswitch inputs on KPA. It's velcroed to top of rack case for easy adjustment. I haven't found anywhere where you can input BPM as a value and/or displayed but I haven't really looked... I think the FCB1010 with 2 way midi might display it on the footcontroller, but not as a value apparently, just some blinking lights...
    this is from the UNO 4 Kemper manual:
    5.3 Taptempo
    When you have configured one of the stomp switches as “taptempo” switch, tapping that switch will
    modify the Profiler tempo. This tempo is displayed on the floorboard by blinking the 3 small dots of
    the 7-segment display"

Unfortunateky delay mix is only possible with the FCB UnO not with the UnO for Kemper.

thanks great ideas. I don't need the volume pedal, could I use that for delay or reverb? go from zero to however much I might need? would I lose the tuner on the volume pedal? Thanks for the time on this stuff.

Hi - This is from the UNO4Kemper manual

"Remark : the Wah pedal can also be configured to adjust other parameters besides wah, but that
    configuration is done at the Kemper side, not at the floorboard side." Since I don't have the chip yet to experiment with not sure what "other parameters" it refers to... ?(

Thanks for the input - much appreciated! I got that UNO 4 kemper on way - I just wish I had a comparison chart so I could sort out what each chip can/can't do... from what I've discovered so far, the UNO 4 kemper is basically pre-programmed but not compatible with any editor, so things like the delay mix, using the stereo foot switch connections, sending two CC msgs with one button, can't be programmed. Whereas the regular UNO chip you have to use an editor to get it up and running but probably has more flexibility once you've done that.

I'll forge ahead with the UNO 4 Kemper altho I really like being able to squash two pedals at once for spot leads - cuts way down on the tap dancing and obviously smooth since you stay in the same preset. There are lots of distractions on stage when I play (zombie dancing girls, devil bunnies, etc.) so like to make it fool proof...

Unfortunateky delay mix is only possible with the FCB UnO not with the UnO for Kemper.

Hi - I've been struggling to sort out all these little FCB1010 programing details (like above).... I even asked Xaivier if there was a comparison chart but he didn't think it was warranted - but seems like I keep uncovering information... is there an online resource or good thread besides the manual(s)? I'm a Midiot so hard for me to even phrase my questions in technical terms so a layman's chart would be awesome...

I got my FCB1010 yesterday, waiting for Uno4 Kemper chip to arrive - but seems like the regular Uno chip (w/ an editor) might better sense for some of the things I want to do.

Thanks!

The gig went great - only vocals thru PA so didn't get to check the full capacity of the KPA but it was loud enough thru a marshall straight 4 x 12 (16 ohm), altho it was almost all the way up on the master Volume! I will have to adjust the "power amp booster" a little more... easy to carry, easy to set up and dead quiet between songs. I'm just using the stock "KM - Dimisery" rig, with an EQ boost and bit o delay on solo's. We didn't get a sound check but I did record the show from with a handheld in the audience - the tones were good! The biggest compliment was nobody asked what happened to the previous lead guitar player... so I guess I passed the audition.

My pal had me over to do a quick demo Sunday - it was easy to go from main output of KPA into his system, flip thru a few stock presets ("Sabbath" ended up being used) and knock it out... his studio is on second floor so again so easy to carry, set up, tear down... his interest was piqued as he's sick of his Line 6 Pro.

My FCB1010 got delivered today and Uno4Kemper chip is on its way so looking forward to streamlining some more.... considering I've had the KPA for 10 days I think it's going pretty well. My unit does have a few dead pixels so I'll be swapping out for another when GC get it's order in... so I haven't messed around with all the profiling features or rig sharing, or gone deep into making my own rigs but looking forward to that, for sure.

Rock on!

Show tomorrow night! Feeling pretty confident about the KPA's performance, at least at rehearsal (again last night) it's sounding good. I haven't had time to reprogram the mastermind so I'll be having to stay on one rig and using to IA buttons to engage boost and delay - I've managed so far with only falling over once!

I have FCB 1010 coming and ordered the Uno for Kemper chip since seemed like a good idea - altho looks like no editor for Uno for Kemper chip? Still hoping to be able to go from primary rig to boost and delay sound with one stomp, doesn't seem like the UFK can do that w/o an editor... also unclear whether the stereo 1/4 foot switch functions on the KPA can be utilized with the UFK chip/ FCB1010 combo. So maybe the standard Uno chip w/editor is the way to go to access advanced features. ?(

I'm really hoping the FCB 1010 doesn't exhibit the time lag between Program Changes that the mastermind is - then I can just have a different rig for lead... or program one exp pedal for volume, other for delay mix.... I will keep updates coming!

I will try tonight.

Well I didn't --- but managed with a footswitch for delay and another for the boost - sounded pretty good! Bandmates liked it, no noise - that's nice. Only spent 15 seconds EQ'ing to the carpet covered rehearsal room. Used on board 600 watt amp thru early 80's straight Marshall 4 x 12 with mix of 25 and 30 watt green/blackbacks. My other band jams tonight so I will delve in some more... so easy to set up, nice n light, big pluses!

It still sounded like me playing - I guess one always dials in "their" sound regardless of the amp, in the end - not sure if that is exactly a "plus" but I sure can't blame the KPA for any shortcomings last night.

Looking forward to the gig!

Welcome ewrath! If you're trying to turn the delay on/off then use CC 26 (cuts tail) or 27 (keeps tail). These are documented in the reference manual, page 71. You can set the controller to issue two CC's together.

Thanks man! I contacted RJM directly - they are very responsive - got reply :

>>"Unfortunately, the Mastermind can only send one CC per IA button. A
    possible workaround is to create presets that don't send PCs, only CCs.
    If you go into edit mode, you can set each PC to "---" which means don't
    send anything. You can do this by pressing the 2 / PC/CC Number button
    until you get past 127 (or 128). The next press will get you to "---"

I will try tonight.

I contacted RJM directly and I got a response in about 3 seconds... ! They have always been great with customer support at RJM, even before I bought my mastermind so +1.

>>Unfortunately, the Mastermind can only send one CC per IA button. A possible workaround is to create presets that don't send PCs, only CCs. If you go into edit mode, you can set each PC to "---" which means don't send anything. You can do this by pressing the 2 / PC/CC Number button until you get past 127 (or 128). The next press will get you to "---"<<<

I will try this tonight - report back tomorrow.

Simple questions folks ( I just posted it another thread but you guys seem knowledgeable) can the 1010 (or any device) send two CC#'s from one foot switch?
    I'm using a RJM Mastermind right now but get a big lag between Program Changes so setting up a lead sound with same rig plus boost (in X slot) and delay isn't option. I try to stomp on both IA buttons I set up on mastermind but it will only recognize one at a time... maybe an expression pedal to control a couple parameters? - used to use an ART Ultrafoot back in the 90s to do that...

Thanks - first gig with Kemper this Saturday!

Hi - new guy but have gig in four days so eager to get my Kemper up and running... I have a RJM Mastermind and I am hoping to engage both a Boost ( I set up an EQ in the X slot) and Delay, with one button on the Mastermind - the obvious choice of just sending PC to switch to a rig with the effects on doesn't cut it since there seems to be a rather long time lag in switching (I've noted others having similar problems on this forum but haven't found full diagnoses or solution)

The DELAY has a volume parameter but it's only 4 db - not enough.

The INVERT function (CC# 16) doesn't include delay (or reverb). So I set up two buttons in Mastermind Instant Access mode hoping I could just crush them both at same time but it will only send one CC at a time. :pinch:

My MIDI skills / knowledge is basic so any input is appreciated!