Posts by Calaban

I haven’t tried the new reverbs yet, but I’m going to assume they have some basic EQ control.

Try rolling off the low end if it’s sounding like the low end is wreaking havoc.

Add highs to make them stick out, roll off highs to make them take a back seat.

BostonMike and ToneDeaf,

I lived in the Durham/Newmarket NH area for 38 years....just moved to Virginia in January!

I had no idea there were fellow Kemper users near me up there :huh:

Hey : )

I have already done a few selmer T&B profiles in some of my earlier packs.. (Pack 3 and 7?) might be wrong on numbers of pack but I did a few I remember : )

Not too many of them around these days sadly!

Oh cool I’ll check it out....thanks!

Welcome back! I have many of your profile packs and they all sound fantastic.

I would like to see an old Selmer be profiled. I really want the old Syd Barrett sounds from the early Floyd records.

I have a few Selmer profiles from someone else, but they weren’t dialed in the way I like them.

Syd used a Selmer 50W Truvoice Treble n’ Bass as far as I know.

Wishful thinking? Maybe....but I thought I’d throw it out there.

I also prefer a softer attack and I have struggled to find profiles that capture that. I am not sure if it’s a Kemper thing or a profile thing, but one of my band mates noticed it right away when we were doing some recording a few years back. I wasn’t sure if I was imagining it or not but that confirmed to me that I was not.

The ‘pick’ control is helpful but if pushed too far it sounds unnatural to me.

I think a big part of it is that fact that we are hearing a close mic’d guitar sound and we’re not used to that. I also think that most people making commercial profiles tend to prefer a heavy pick attack sound.

I’m an old fart. All I care about is making my Kemper sound like amps from the late 60’s to early 70’s. Modern guitar tones just don’t do it for me. The Kemper pretty much gets me there in a recording setting. Live I’d say it’s about 60%.

I'm absolutely CERTAIN that much of that is user error and the DXR10 I’ve been using. But I also tried a Mission cabinet that I didn’t like very much, so I’m guessing it’s user error.

Maybe the new Kemper Kab will fix the issue.

I’m still happy with my KPA for the most part, I just find it more satisfying in a recording setting than a live setting.

But too much off topic blah blah blah! Try the definition and pick settings as stated above.

Personally I'm fine with the verbs as they are, don't use them a ton. I don't know what all the head-banging is all about over this issue. I'd prefer better OD stomps and FX management, as I've previously alluded to, but the damn thing is great - why all the negativism over some reverbs? In live gig situations (which is mostly what I do), reverb is only to be used in moderation, and we've got great verbs already for them.

Too many complainers here, not enough appreciators imho.

Just my opinion.

Only to be used in moderation?! Hogwash! 8o

I like super psychedelic tones, simply DRENCHED in cavernous vintage spring and plate reverbs, and I use it that way live as it’s perfectly suited for one of my bands.

The Kemper spring Reverb is great so far. Really hoping for a Plate.

Are you talking about using the harmonizer? I’m only asking because I never use it myself so I’m just not sure.

But if you mean the harmonizer, the likely answer is that you’ll need to convert the major scale into the minor that you’re seeking.

How much music theory do you know?

I’ll try to make it simple:

Every major scale (C, A, G, Bb etc etc.....all of them) have a related minor scale that uses the exact same notes.

To find the related minor scale, go to the 6th note of the major scale; that will be the root of the related minor scale.

So for instance, if you want to play in A Minor, you have to ask your self, “What major scale has ‘A’ as the 6th note?”

The answer to that example is the C Major scale: C, D, E, F, G, **A**, B

So on your profiler, if you want to play in the key of A minor, you’ll have to set the scale to C major.

Let me know if this makes sense. I can help more if you’re still confused.

So, you are recommending SSD5 with such conviction, I must consider it, but why do you rate it so highly? In my situation, good quality samples is a must, I only considered EZD because it is generally highly rated. Can you tell me if SSD5 is capable of producing a range of kits (say from big and deep to light and tight)? Your opinion will be much appreciated, thanks.

I have EZD2 and I like it a lot. That said, the sounds are sort of “pre baked” if you know what I mean. They are already EQ’d and compressed and...effected (affected? Both I guess)

I don’t think you’ll be able to strip out the EQ and Compression. You’re stuck with it as far as I know.

I don’t have Superior Drummer or Steven Slate, but I do have BFD3 which I love, and you have the option of using preset mixer and effect settings, or the raw drum sounds (which likely have a slight bit of EQ and compression on the way in when they were recorded.)

If I were you I would skip EZD for your purposes. You just won’t have the control over the sounds that you’re hoping for, even though it does sound great for a “grab and go” drum sound. Go with SD, BFD, OR SSD.

Please anyone correct me if I’m wrong about EZD being “pre baked.” I would like to know if I’ve been missing something!