Posts by Der_JD

There are so many that I really haven't had time to give every one of them a fair trial, but so far the ones that stand out the most for me are the Awake and Octavarium profiles.

Not really sure why, guess I always preferred DT's earlier work. Awake is by far my favorite album. These profiles are a bit more aggressive than some of the others, which happens to just work better for the style I typically play in.

Here's a new little metal tune I just finished using Sinmix profiles: https://soundcloud.com/der-jd/song-01-sinmix-6505-5150

Nothing super fancy here. I did this one pretty quick. Just playing with ideas and testing profiles. I guess you could say it's in death metal/melodeath style but no vocals.

I used Sinmix's 6505 Heil MXR and 5150 Heil MXR for all distorted guitar tracks. Bass is Merrow's "KM Retrobass" slightly tweaked.

Guitar: Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Passive (Duncan Full Shred and Jazz PUs) tuned drop C
    Bass: Fender Jazz
    Drums: Superior Metal Foundry

Check it out! :)

Maybe I'm totally missing something but all I see is that Sinmix said the TAF profiles "were not what I expected." Where's the harm in that? How you get from that to "putting down other's work" or "agreeing with another's post" about them being obsolete, unusable, etc. is beyond me. Sinmix paid for the TAF profiles too. He's entitled to an opinion. It's not like he said, "TAF profiles are terrible, buy mine instead". Maybe he simply shouldn't have made that comment at all since he also offers commercial profiles but some of you guys are blowing it way out of proportion.

I use the Presonus Eris E8s and absolutely love them. Can't say that I've had a chance to A/B them directly with other monitors but to my ears they sound like they have a very flat response. My mixes have improved significantly since using them. I've tried KRK Rockits (8") before, which seemed to have a bit of a bump in the lows. The Eris E8s, to my ear, sound at least as good as the Yamaha HS80m.
    They have an amazing stereo spread and they let you hear everything going on in the mix very clearly (and they point out anything nasty).

You might be ok with the 5" monitors in your small room. Can't say for sure as I've never tried them. Seems like the reviews are generally better on the E8s.

"This is cool, but every metal band in the world uses a tubescreamer in front of their amp, almost always set with the gain on 0, tone in the middle and level on full. Thus far i haven't found a way with the KPA to reproduce this effect, though i certainly don't deny its possible, very possibly it just needs the right combination of EQ and maybe slight compression. "

In my experience, the controls on the Kemper "green screamer" simply don't work like a real tube screamer pedal. You just have to play with the controls and use your ears to get it sounding similar. Get the controls set right, and I assure you that it functions very closely to a real boost (TS-type) pedal.

Real TS: gain at o, tone at 5, and level on 10 is more like gain at 0, tone at -1.5, and level at 2 on the KPA model (at least to my ears based on my experiences with real boost-type pedals that I've owned).

Everyone profiles amps differently (Different amp settings, different mics, different mic placement, different cabs, etc.). These differences can drastically change the sound of the resulting profile.

Chances are that the way TAF profiled these amps just didn't give you the results that you prefer. It's not a Kemper issue. Most likely, these profiles sound exactly the way TAF had them dialed in and miced.

Basically, you either need to do some tweaking to these (EQ adjustments) or find some other profiles of the same amps that suit your needs better. Personally, as good as TAF's profiles are, I'm not fond of most of the high-gain offerings (without tweaking). The new ENGL pack is an exception (it's really good). I think that has a lot to do with Andy not being a high gain type of player and therefore didn't dial these in with the typical preferences of high-gain players in mind.

Personally, I think if you're looking for maximum tweakability and extreme creativity in terms of building presets the Axe II may be more up your alley. The Kemper offers plenty of tweakability, but doesn't offer nearly as many advanced parameters.

The Axe is more of a "build your tone from the ground up" type of thing. The Kemper is completely different. It's more like "capture the tone of your existing real-life rig or someone else's" .

Some people see the smaller amount of tweakable parameters within the KPA as a negative. I disagree. I find that the KPA is immensely easier to use and it's much faster to dial in a usable tone. There's so many advanced editing options available with the Axe that creating your tones becomes a hobby in itself. I've spent way more time playing and recording since I've gotten the Kemper (I owned the Axe II for about 18 months). IMO, all those parameters just aren't necessary with the Kemper. If a profile doesn't work for you, maybe tweak a little (some EQ adjustments), but other than that I say just move on to another one that may suit your needs better. There are thousands of profiles available covering hundreds of different amps.

I fully understand when people say they prefer the Axe because they need tons of effects, advanced routing options, like the idea of building their own tone from the ground up, etc.
    When people say that they prefer the Axe's raw amp/cab tone, I find myself scratching my head. I just don't get it (unless I know they're aiming for a tone that's not really possible in real life- an artificial tone). 99% of the time, the KPA sounds just like the original amp and cab miced up. With the Kemper, the sound coming through my monitors sounds like it's coming directly from a miced up amp/cab in an isolation room. The Axe just sounds like a really good digital model of a real amp.

Since the release of Rig Manager, I've cut the number of rigs stored on my Kemper way down. I think I'm at around 160 now. Definitely makes startup time faster. Not too sure about any other performance increases as I had no issues even when I had a large number on my Kemper.

I use the Kemper as a recording/practice tool so I have it hooked up to my computer all the time. The vast majority of my profile collection is now stored strictly on my computer and I use Rig Manager to select them when I want to use them.

I agree. This would be really nice. It's one of the few things I miss about the Axe Fx. It offered 3 or 4 different graphic EQs with different numbers of bands and different frequency points.

I can make due with what the Kemper currently offers. Sometimes I'll use a graphic EQ in one slot and a studio EQ in another but having more options would really be nice and could potentially free up slots. One graphic EQ with adjustable frequency points would be absolutely killer!