New monitoring dedicated to my Kemper

• Hello guys,

I plan to buy a new pair of monitors to play my Kemper at home.

Actually i'm playing thru M-Audio AV40 Studiophile (4" boomer) and it sounds not bad but I'm missing more dynamics and more definitions for my Kemper,

That's why I come here to ask you what are you thinkin' about buying a better pair with higher boomer.

I asked Thomann (where I bought my KPA) and they adviced me a pair of Presonus Eris 8 and told me that going to a 8" pair will give better dynamics and definition.

I believe em but I want to know what you're thinkin' about that cause I'm a noobie with monitoring systems.

What about Presonus Eris 5 (with 5" boomer) it might be less good as the 8" one?

I have to mention that it will be entirely dedicated to my Kemper (and playing backing tracks on same time), no mixing or mastering stuff.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_8.htm

Thanks for your help! (And sorry about my english)

:)

Viv

Edited once, last by MrVivz ().

• I'm using the Yamaha HS-8 as Monitors in our Studio/Rehearsal room. I like them a lot with my Profiler, good response and enough push of air at higher levels. At home i'm using Mackie HR824, these absolutely kill with the Profiler.

Open a support ticket here: SUPPORT

Edited once, last by HELL-G ().

• I've already written this, but it might help: the room and monitors' placement can make a huge difference in sound quality.

Muddiness is usually determined by:

• placement over a low-resonating surface (a wooden desk for example, or anything not properly dumped which resonates in the audio range);
    • static waves, determined by the room's shape and dimensions;
    • frequency reinforcement due to monitor's proximity to walls, ceiling and - above all - corners.

To address these issues, and regardless how much you spend for your new monitors, you should (in the same order):

• avoid positioning your monitors on surfaces and objects which vibrate in the audio range. (A wooden block resonates at a much higher freq than a wooden desk, because it acts like a drum, or like an acoustic guitar body; best choice would be proper monitor stands.
      I'd nevertheless use professional dumping tools (such as the Auralex Mopads, which are quite cheap and work very well; but there are others);
    • Try and get the best acoustic treatment of the room (at least in the mid-lows freqs). If this is not possible, place your listening point as far as possible from antinodes (where the sound is stronger). The best way to become aware of static waves in a room is to have a sinusoidal oscillator produce a very slow freqs swap from 20 to 20000 Hz (better if you can fix a freq and keep it steady. There're free ones on the Net).
      The fun begins when you move across the room while a fixed freq rings :D
      If possible, try to place your listening point where you have to deal with the minimum contemporary presence of stationary waves between 100 and 400 Hz;
    • Put monitors far from those bad positions. It would be very instructive to place them in a very different room (or outside) and hear the difference.

While spending money on good monitors is good and right, no monitor will sound good when badly placed in a bad room!
    HTH

• I'm using JBL LSR305 monitors and am extremely happy with their sound in my home studio. Sweetwater had these on sale in February for $225/pair shipped. Best value of any monitors I've seen. IMO there is no need for 8" speakers in a home environment. These guys sound amazing to my old ears :D

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I was just about to answer in a very similar way ;)

- always put monitors on pads
    - especially if they are rear ported, don't place them too close to a wall or even worse, a corner <- I see this all the time

• I understand what you mean about good setting for my monitoring, it's probably great advice but Im not sur to be able to apply all of it,

The room where I'm playing (working) is kinda small and under my rooftop so about the acoustic treatment of the room... Its probably not optimal..

Here's a pic of my "Kemper Zone"

[Blocked Image: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_PFuw_hvVD4/UzkEtxguDkI/AAAAAAAAABY/LiQKobPmt-s/w579-h776-no/Kemper.jpg]

As you can see it's a small space, I got not more than 1,5m between my kemper and my keyboard behind me.

I'm higher from my kemper and my monitoring system cause I'm always stand up while working, but I've bought acoustic pads which allow me to "angle" them to my ears direction.

About the walls, I musnt stick em to the wall because of the "air hole" behind the monitoring? (Sorry, don't know how you call it in english)

Cause on Presonus Eris it's not at the back but at the front.

Thanks for your help.

• Even though the presonous have very good room control options I would have them on stands away from those angled walls even though they are front ported. I have the small e5 ones and they are excellent for the price. There frequency response is more then enough for the guitar but for mixing I need to reference on headphones for anything below a low e on bass. The e8's will cover lower of course but you will have to mix at very low levels. Monitors are all about compromise and you adjust to them unless your budget and space allow.

P.s, I would have bought the JBL LSR that Zap has also if they weren't rear ported.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I use the Presonus Eris E8s and absolutely love them. Can't say that I've had a chance to A/B them directly with other monitors but to my ears they sound like they have a very flat response. My mixes have improved significantly since using them. I've tried KRK Rockits (8") before, which seemed to have a bit of a bump in the lows. The Eris E8s, to my ear, sound at least as good as the Yamaha HS80m.
    They have an amazing stereo spread and they let you hear everything going on in the mix very clearly (and they point out anything nasty).

You might be ok with the 5" monitors in your small room. Can't say for sure as I've never tried them. Seems like the reviews are generally better on the E8s.

• Actually mixing and monitoring the profiler are 2 tasks not different from each other. You want the monitors to process the signal as neutral as possible. Even in a room like this I recommend using a cab stand like this one: http://www.thomann.de/de/millenium_bs500_set.htm
    This will help to optimize listening conditions.