Posts by Der_JD

Welcome! I had the Axe II also (owned it for about 18 months). I had both at the same time for a while but the Axe was just getting no action and I couldn't justify keeping it. The raw amp/cab tones on the Kemper seemed a bit better to me and I greatly prefer the workflow and simplicity of the Kemper, especially now that we have Rig Manager. Also didn't need all the deep effects editing and routing options the Axe offers.

Enjoy the Kemper!

It's true that a lot of modern metal productions don't have a lot of dynamic range, but not all.

My problem with tone matching is the dynamic range when playing the guitar itself.

It's kind of like using active pickups. In my experience, you lose a lot of dynamic range with actives. Everything seems "full on" regardless of how hard or soft you're attacking the strings. I've had the same experience when playing "tone matched" profiles (or patches when I had the Axe II).

For the ENGLs, I highly recommend The Amp Factory's new Engl pack.

5150/6505- I prefer Sinmix's "metal pack 1".

Rectifier- Till Scheicher has some good ones. There's a few nice ones on the rig exchange. I also like Ola's. Still haven't found THE one in terms of the Rectifier yet though.

Roadster/Roadking- I haven't found any that work for me yet. Maybe these amps just aren't my thing.

Really, everyone has different tastes. You just have to search and try different ones till you find what you need.

Yeah, it's a little flabby here too even though I use passives. I turned down the gain just a bit. But hey, works well for the old-school stuff that had that flabbiness!

I'm really liking these. Thanks for taking the time to do them...and for free!

"Fball 30" is just freakin' brutal! Sounds cool doing some old school death metal.

That's one of the things I like best about the Kemper- fussing with IRs is simply not necessary!

I can't begin to tell you how many hours I put in with the Axe II auditioning IRs, searching for IRs, buying IRs, mixing IRs...it was enough to make me sick.

The way it is with the Kemper just makes so much more sense to me- the cab (or IR) is basically "baked in" to the rig. Cab choice and mic placement was specifically chosen by the creator of the rig in order to achieve the desired tone. So much easier than trying to find a "generic" IR that will work with your amp of choice and amp settings with the Axe or software modeller.

I play primarily high gain metal and have the same issues, though maybe not to the same extent as medium to low gain users.

They're fun if you're playing along to an album but they never seem to feel right. They just don't respond like a regular amp profile does.

I used Redwirez some when I had an Axe Fx. They're ok, guess it just depends on what you're looking for. They're fairly raw and work best when you can mix 2 or more together (for example a SM57 + Royer 121).

I've never actually tried using IRs with the Kemper and I'm glad I don't need to. I've found tons of profiles I love as is.

I've been playing with the new Engl pack all weekend but feel I still need to spend a lot more time on them.

Overall, I love them. Great tones with minimal tweaking. I can't say which amp I like most. I like them all. One problem is that while auditioning a profile I'll get stuck jamming on it so it took a lot of time to go through them all- and I stuck strictly to the "lead" profiles since my primary use for these will be high-gain metal.

I found that I preferred to add a boost to most of these. They certainly didn't need a boost for gain (there's gain aplenty!) but I liked using a boost to tighten the low end just a bit before hitting the amp. Also seemed to add a bit of aggressiveness in the upper mids. I used the green scream with drive at 0, tone at -1.5, and level at 1.5 and liked the results. When using a boost, I often decrease the gain a bit on the amp.

I'm thinking that for my purposes (direct recording) it would be useful to drop the mids on the amps just a touch (no more than -1). Seemed like doing this helped the sound to fit better when I was jamming along with a full mix.

That's really the only tweaks I'm doing at this point. Love these profiles. Looking forward to doing mixtests with them soon. I've found that I can judge guitar tones better when I dual-track them with bass/drums and listen back later on.

I'm a big deathmetalhead too!

Hannes pretty much nailed the best ones out there IMO.

The following is what I've been playing with lately:

SinMix- ALL! I have all of SinMix's profiles and love them. They're just perfect with little to no tweaking necessary. Even his "rock pack" can be used for really heavy stuff if you just bump up the gain a tad and do a few other small tweaks.

Fraeggner's 5153

Lothar's EVH rigs- find them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezwm…20%2B%20Aurora%20Cabs.zip I believe I originally found these in a post on SS.org and they're great.

Stymphalian EVH and Marshall 8100 packs

"CHRIS's" Engl Savage profiles (found on RE)

HELL-G's JCM800 KK profiles

TAF- 6505 pack and the new ENGL bundle (just killer!)

I like some of Ola's, Till's, and Lasse's profiles too but lately I haven't been using them much

I also like some of Nakedzen's "tone match" profiles that he just uploaded. They sound really nice and are great when I want to jam to a particular band's tunes. Usually I don't like tone match profiles but these just work!

Awesome. I'll be buying these as soon as they come out!

It includes Engl heads that Axe Fx owners have been begging for for years! It's great to be a Kemper owner!

Now if Andy could do a Randall pack and maybe some VHT/Fryette I'd have every high gain amp that I could possibly want!

I'm pretty picky too but it's rare that I find a profile that I would consider "bad". Every once in a while I'll load one up that just doesn't sound professional- like the person who did it just didn't have much knowledge in micing cabs. Usually, though, it's just a matter of taste rather than it actually being a "bad" profile.

I'd say about half of my most commonly used profiles are commercial. The other half free.

I liked this profile. Bumped up the gain a little and did some EQing for my guitars and it sounded great. Would love one with the "more" setting. Doesn't seem like there's very many profiles of this amp out there. Thanks!