Posts by Amaze-B

I have only been paid as a worship pastor, but I do know that other larger "mega" churches will and can pay some musicians. I played for several months in a large church where they had 2 session players who played keys for Michael Jackson and electric guitar for Ray Charles. Our team suspected the keyboardist played the Thriller intro... so these guys were getting paid, but some of us weren't. Plus what I noticed is that the paid guys would be given prepared materials from the worship director, and could literally could come in, sight read the notes and just play as if it was no big deal. True pros - especially compared to my sorry @$$ (who needs a LOT of that reverb and delay to make up for my shortcomings, haha).

Love the responses guys... I appreciate all of your feedback. I wrote in frustration because my setup was glitching out on me, but I realized that I could update my HX Effects to 3.0 too. So now, I’ve got my beloved warm and edge of break up Michael Britt Dumble profile on my Kemper, the huge ionosphere reverb, the glitch delay and other reverb from the HX (also I like the Valve distortion) running into my Mod Duo that has about a million reverbs and delays.

It’s overkill, but it does the job for me even though set up is a B. I’m considering going to the Stage too, but I also love my toaster regardless of my setup. I might just add a Stage to my setup and finally do a dual amp thing haha.

Hey guys, I'm a long time Kemper owner and user. Up until now, I've been pretty much a fanboy of Kemper and I believe the tones just cannot be beat. I'm a huge fan of the delays, verbs, and drive releases that Kemper has provided over the years for free... I'm a super Kemper evangelist!

I never thought the Helix had better tones, although, the all-in-one floor unit was much better than my current setup (Kemper toaster, HD500 as midi controller, other pedals) and is superficially better than the Kemper Stage. Up until Helix came out with 3.0, I thought I'd rather not upgrade to the Stage or the Helix from my original toaster, but my setup is getting more cumbersome to haul around for church recordings (due to the pandemic).

So for all of your Praise and Worship guys out there, how do you think the Helix 3.0 compares to what you can do with the Kemper? I just want to hear some opinions - especially on the Helix 3.0 release.

Tone-wise, I'll never be completely convinced that Helix is better, so I'm not asking for that. I'm mostly asking for the other variables.

Looking forward to hearing some intriguing discussion!

Thanks Burkhard, I remember you saying something like this in another post I responded to. Thanks again for explaining again... I think why I was led to ask the question (again?) was because I was using the new reverbs before the previously stated OS version, which was 5.7.x. I was using Natural Reverb, which was already in existence. I believe an even newer reverb was introduced which may have fixed the freeze issue... but I'll tell you, I loved that bug haha. Sounds so glorious when you can do that.

Ok, so I know the Remote can utilize that functionality based on your responses, but can the Kemper Stage also take advantage of that functionality too, or is it not NRPN capable? I was thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade from my toaster... so this would be the perfect excuse to do so!

Thanks Burkhard! I have been trying to figure this out for ages, so I'll give this a try. On that note, I must say that prior to OS 6, or what ever came after 5.7.2.14219, everything was working fine and it was working with the new delays and reverbs. I believe OS 6 had an even newer reverb and that's what I wanted to try out when I noticed the old functionality wasn't there anymore. I'm guessing it's because something was applied to all the reverbs that changed the settings?

In any case, I'll try your suggestion and let you know how it works out.

After OS Version 5.7.2.14219, I noticed when triggering CC #35 with only a delay on, you could no longer activate a reverb and play a line over the looped delay with the reverb intact. When turning on reverb, the playable signal is now only dry. I used to be able to put on a reverb for a wet signal on top of a looped delay pad sound. I then downgraded to 5.7.2.14219, which worked as it used to. However, I eventually upgraded to 6 and was disappointed to learn that I could no longer play a lead line with some reverb on while the looped delay was active (which created a pad sound). I hoped the problem was resolved with the 7.5 update, but it doesn't seem this has been brought up. Note that I am using an external midi controller (Line 6 HD500).

It would be amazing if someone could fix this issue in the next update as it allowed for such full sounded ambient guitar playing. I never had a problem with overload or clipping even with a 30 second reverb trail. Thank you!

Thanks JAC and Burkhard ! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. In actual practice, I've found that I only need the freeze for delay to create a decent pad sound and then leave the reverb on for noodling purposes. Maybe I'll try getting everything set back up again in the latest OS. Thanks for the helpful advice, as always, Kemper Community!

Using OS 7.5 beta here; the legacy delay and legacy reverb don't have a freeze option, so they can be used for the ambience. So it's possible to use an external footswitch to control the freeze in a delay/reverb effect place in (for example) the mod slot, and have a normal delay and reverb running as well in their traditional slots.

However, the fancy delays and 'verbs all have freeze.

It makes a difference, if you control Freeze via Effect Button I-IIII of Remote/Stage or via an external button, e.g. the toe switch of a Mission Engineering pedal.

External buttons control Freeze globally, so in all effects of the Rig currently loaded. There is no way to assign an external button to Freeze of a particuar module.

The Effect Buttons I-IIII can be assigned to Freeze in a particular module.

Thanks guys. I use an external midi footswitch and I had to revert to the older OS because I could freeze the delay or freeze the reverb separately depending on which one is on. So for example, I would just start with just delay, press freeze and then it would repeat the delay. And then I would turn on the reverb so that any noodling I do would have the reverb.

I tried with OS 6 or 7 and once I turned on the reverb it would freeze it, so I had to go back to a version that did support separate freezing using an external midi footswitch. I don't have the remote and am playing on an old toaster. Is this still the case with the 7.5?

Appreciate your feedback guys!

I have freeze applied to just the delay, so it freezes the delay sound only so that when I play on top of it, I can still have reverb on that adds to the ambience. I believe after OS 7 or 6 they may have changed the way things froze, so I had to revert to an older OS.

Amaze-B .. I totally Agree , we need to have this option .. like individually freezing a reverb chord and play guitar over it, with another reverb/ echo that is not freezed .. and being controlled from another switch on a Midi controller, as I don't want to use up some of the 4 precious Effect Buttons I-IIII

Kemper ... can you please make this possible ?

Hi KBSAT, try installing Firmware 5.5.2.13463... with that one, I was able to freeze the delay and then keep a reverb on while picking... The only problem I had with that was that every time I switched to that particular profile, the infinite switch would always be on. I CC# assigned that and the freeze to different switches, but had to always turn off the infinity when I switched to that profile.

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware and this functionality was removed, so I downgraded back.

Hey guys,

I used a version of the OS that had separate CC# codes for delay freeze and reverb freeze. I had a stomp switch assigned to the delay freeze, and a separate button assigned to infinity... I was then able to freeze the delay only, and then still have a reverb while playing over the delay, which was pretty cool. After OS 5.7.4, this is no longer active.

See Freeze/hold reverb with remote for more info on this.

But I basically want to be able to have the option of separating out the delay freeze and reverb freezes like you guys posted. I'm thinking we are a quiet minority, however, and Kemper has bigger fish to fry...

Thanks for clarifying Burkhard... I had been using a previous OS and I was able to get it to freeze a delay to have a base layer, and then I was able to use a natural reverb while picking... it sounded super lush. Is there a chance Kemper will bring back the separate freezes for delay and reverb?

I agree. I’m from the P&W world where dual amp rigs are everywhere and I just don’t see the need. I get killer tones as is. The short version is: it sounds a little more exciting in your in-ears/headphones. The effect is largely lost on any audience or congregation.

Also, pretty much all of those dual amp rigs involve a stereo board in front. If you can’t completely reroute the signal chain in the Kemper to do this, it would be for nothing. That is what dual amp people are looking for.

I'm from the P&W world too - didn't realize that it was exclusive to us, but looking back, I can see it!

I use a stereo rig just to get my modulation and delay effects in stereo - it just makes it wider IMHO.

That being said, does anyone know if you can SEND in stereo and RETURN in stereo? Or, does that not make any sense because Stomps A-D are summed to mono still? Would be cool if Stomps A-D were upgraded to stereo... really this only applies to ambient nerds like myself :)

I have a THR10 and it's a great little amp. It's perfect for bedroom playing and you could even use it in a small cafe/room live performance. I actually used my THR10 as a monitor for my unpowered Kemper (using the aux input so it acts like a FRFR speaker) for a while until I needed something that could handle louder volumes. I found that using a MBritt Dumble profile through my THR10 was so incredible and warm-feeling. But without the Kemper, the THR10 is still a solid, cost-efficient buy. That being said, you are stuck with the tones in the THR10.

If you want the ability to get any amp sound along with amazing delays and reverbs, then I'd say get the Kemper.

I'm going to get up on my high horse and talk a little about Kemper Version 2: Like you, I was also worried about when a new updated model would come out... but this was back in 2014. The guy I bought it from (I bought it used and it came with some profiles from the guy) told me that if you look at the Virus synth that Kemper made prior to the Profiler, they only made 2 versions of it with many many years in between and just kept on releasing new firmware updates. That has held true for the past 5 years. See, I came from buying Line 6 products that came out with a slightly tweaked multi-effects board every year or 2, so I was stuck in this old way of thinking.

Kemper is not about literally capitalizing on every opportunity to make money - which is a weird concept to me as an American! They really want to put out quality products and when they reach the limits of their hardware, then they will make an updated version. But really, what is the next level for Kemper? They've been able to squeeze in incredible FX updates and it's still the same unit. They don't need more processing power, really, as the magic is in the profiling process and what it does to steal the soul of any amp.

Finally, cost. I could be fine with the tones in the THR10 - they are pretty nice. Doesn't have the full effect of a Kemper, but it's perfectly passable for a bedroom player. But I thought, how can I make the most out of what was just over $1600 (used but was in mint condition)... why, get a profile of the most expensive amp out there... so, instead of shelling out $20,000 to $50,000 on a Dumble, I got a $30 profile of an amazing Dumble instead. So, there you go, the math adds up.

Here's another thing about cost: I got my Kemper for $1600 in 2014 and it still sells for around that price used today. It's retained its value. If I wanted to get rid of my Line 6 HD500, I would maybe be able to recoup $100 for it if I'm really lucky. Honestly, the Kemper is the one piece of equipment I've owned that has had the most return in value and has held that value.

Finally, if you really are about playing and convenience, you could check out the Boss Katana Air. I hated the tone out of that speaker, but the wireless module is super convenient. It's actually perfect for noodling around on, especially if you're a bedroom shredder (you'll probably like the shrill tones of the Katana Air). Otherwise, you just can't beat the versatility of the Kemper and you have to think of it as an investment that is going to have great returns. Good luck to you!

Thanks Burkhard that's what I figured too. I am pretty sure the HD500 as a midi controller is sending the message to turn on the infinity because it turns on Infinity for both my delays. I have fiddled with the HD500 settings to ensure that it's not activated, which it doesn't seem to be. However, I suspect that it's some sort of bug in the HD500's software. I was mostly wondering if someone else came across this weird error too.

Hey guys - I don't post here nearly enough, seeing as how I use the Kemper live at least 2 times a month in a church setting.

I've been absolutely loving the new Kemper reverbs that came out and I was glad to have met the team at NAMM in Anaheim (btw, you don't get this from watching all the NAMM Youtube vids - but you don't realize what it actually smells like at NAMM. Answer: WEED 8))

I've been playing around with adding the new reverbs and delays to my set using Browse mode, but also using the HD500 as my midi controller - which has worked out great so far (except the added weight). I've gotten to the point where I've gotten everything pretty much the way I want it, however, I just can't seem to get it so that when I switch to my new profile that it doesn't automatically load the delays with the Infinity switched on. Does anyone else know how to solve this? My only solution is to just not change rigs and have it so that my Infinity and Freeze functions are off by default since I haven't changed rigs. But if I do change rigs, then when I load this one, the Infinity is already on and I can't figure out how to get it to not be on by default (yeah, I know - I'm doing a lot of ambient stuff, of course).

Another question - have CC codes been assigned for the Reverb Freeze yet? In the original Reverb release thread, a kind fellow user pointed out that CC35 would activate the reverb freeze, but it only worked for delay.

Any help is much appreciated!

I'm also using the HX Effects and it's pretty versatile and amazing. My guitar goes into the HX Effects mono, where it goes through compression, the Minotaur, and an overdrive pedal... then I put in a stereo FX Loop, which sends it back to the Kemper starting with Stomps A to D (which are all mono effects) then it hits the amp and cab and then the stereo effects are added for the Effects section of the Kemper. Then it goes back into the HX Effects and I have a series of stereo effects that I take advantage of in the HX (tape delay, reverbs, and then the looper). However, with the release of the new Kemper reverbs, I'm finding that I don't really need the reverbs from the HX Effects anymore.

The best part of the HX Effects are the mono effects I use in the front (comp, boost, and overdrive) and the fact that the footswitches are labelled. It's a great tool to use with your Kemper, but honestly the new reverbs are better on the Kemper now.

These are all the pros... the biggest con is just using the 4- or 7-cable method so it makes it slightly less convenient. However, for the versatility, the HX Effects pairs well. I wouldn't go with the HX Stomp unless you need the Helix amps (which you don't) or fewer buttons (why?!) or a smaller footprint (but more money). Go with the HX Effects, but I would also check out the new reverbs in addition to the already great Kemper delays. It used to be that Line 6 delays and reverbs were better than almost anything out there, but the Kemper ones are superior now IMO.