Posts by Michael_dk

Great with a "just bass" sorting setting.

But really, where's the "just guitar" one?

Also, I tagged all my bass rigs with the "bass" tag before updating. The firmware wiped these tags so I have to do it again. Where do I report this potential bug?

EDIT: No, the bass tag is still there on the rigs - but they don't show up when "just bass rigs" is active....

I'd rather say that alterations induced by a digital device can be less obvious by ear.
    No doubt any digital device imparts the sound its own personality, but for most users differences are often negligible. It depends on the application as well.
    Also, chances are that devices placed in the same price window use the same components/chips/algorithms.

I remember the days when they used to say that all the CD players sounded the same :)

Well...A CD player DOES have a D/A converter, so it's not apples to apples...

Sounds like a digital clocking mismatch to me. I've not got any experience with setting up the Kemper using the spdif output as my interface uses optical spdif (SSL Nucleus), but have you followed the spdif instructions in the manual?

Cheers,
    Sam

Either that - or you've just discovered an AWESOME synthtar! :)

I'd go with the clocking mismatch - I've made the mistake before and pulled out some hair from my already receding hairline before figuring it out. Check the clock settings in Mix control.

OK, so aliasing can also happen in the DA stage?

What I really was after, I guess, is whether the aliasing can occur BETWEEN the two conversion stages (rather than IN the conversion itself).

Otherwise, if the aliasing is not in the AD conversion stage, then going SPDIF out should be aliasing-free, I guess...

Funnily enough, I was setting my DI+ reamping chain up yesterday, using only S/PDIF. Setting the reamp sense to the opposite ("negative") value of the clean sense, and everything in the box/on the interface at unity, I got the perfect signal. I used the "constant latency" option in the output of the Kemper, and shifted the reamped track 4.9 seconds. Flipped the polarity of one of the tracks, and voila... Perfect cancellation. So it CAN be done :)

It could also be a good idea to get the amp up on a chair or something, to keep the floor reflections a bit away.

Maybe you know this already, but I would suggest starting out by finding the best sound using just one mic, and then using the other mic to fill out "what is missing" from the tone. Also, phase coherency is important. I've heard of someone using a method where they crank the amp with no cable plugged into the input, then flipping the polarity on the second mic and moving it around to where the hiss from the amp sounds the thinnest. Then, when you flip the polarity back to normal, you should be in a spot where the two mics are more or less in phase.

I've never miced up a cab, so this is based on hearsay only :)

Whatever you end up with - I'm REALLY interested in if you're going to throw the profiles up on the rig exchange of that particular amp :)

It seems to me that the Avalon needs a speaker connected still, so there seems to be no dummy load in that one.

I would probably look at a THD hotplate (may need t purchase used), or a Palmer DI. I've heard good things about those, but haven't tried them myself. Both of these are amp attenuators with line outs, I think. Also, beware of internet advice :) I'm really not sure what the best route is. Some people swear that speaker interaction is needed. Maybe they're correct, maybe not :) Couldn't hurt, I guess, if you can crank the amp without neighbours complaining.

The "virtual cabs" in the Kemper is actually the combination of the power stage of the amp and the cab. I think all other "cabs" are IRs, which are basically just an EQ curve, as I understand it - so they don't capture any interaction.

Hi

Not sure I can help, but thought I'd ask whether you make sure to give the duplicated rig a new name (like adding "2" on the end of the name or something)?