Posts by LuizPauloDT

I have been trying to "silently" DI profile my tube amps using a torpedo captor.
    In some situations I got very good results, but sometimes "not even close" as well. But never great, for sure.

In a last attempt to take my profiles to a next level I ordered the Kemper DI.
    I put it in between the amp and the loadbox and guess what: bullseye!
    First attempt, no refining, no post EQing, save, done.
    And it was not an "easy to profile situation".
    It was a TriAxis Lead 2 Yellow pushing HARD a MESA 2:FIFTY power amp, which was one of the "not even close" situations I faced before ...

Now my profiling project is about to start 8)

for what its worth. I am by no means a Kemper expert but all of my DI profile problems were solved by using the Kemper DI. I tried 3 different DI's including a Countryman, a radial and a cheap Beringer but I could never get the DI profiles right. I ran into all sorts of level issues. Too hot or not enough signal. I tried the pads on and off all to no avail. As soon I plugged the Kemper DI into the signal chain everything started working perfect.

I hope it will be the same with me.
    I am trying to improve my DI profiles with the Kemper DI.
    Should arrive this week. Lets see what happens.

Hi!

I have been direct profilling with a Torpedo Captor and I manage to get some very good results. If I profile and go for a walk then come back, I cant tell which is Kemper or the amp. It sounds like the real deal, but not exactly as the reference amp.

However, when profilling I still cant get to the point when A/Bing I could not tell the difference between the profile created and the reference amp, specially when monitoring with headphones.

I tried many different approaches like driving less the power amp or even profilling just the preamp, different levels and so on.

If I get quite good resutls, why am I looking further to improve it?
    Well, I have all my tube gear 4CMed with my Kemper, which is the central nervous system in my rig. Whenever I come up with a tone I like, I want to be able to flip the chickenhead knob to profile mode and capture it, without too much EQing after that (that is the main reason I bought the kemper).

Now after some background, to my quesiton: If I assume that the kemper DI would deliver a better result, could I put it in between the amp and the load box like: Amp -> Kemper DI -> Torpedo Captor ? (using the DI from the Kemper box and the Captor only as the dummy load of course)

:)

Hi!

I have been direct profilling with a Torpedo Captor and I manage to get some very good results. If I profile and go for a walk then come back, I cant tell which is Kemper or the amp. It sounds like the real deal, but not exactly as the reference amp.

However, when profilling I still cant get to the point when A/Bing I could not tell the difference between the profile created and the reference amp, specially when monitoring with headphones.

I tried many different approaches like driving less the power amp or even profilling just the preamp, different levels and so on.

If I get quite good resutls, why am I looking further to improve it?
    Well, I have all my tube gear 4CMed with my Kemper, which is the central nervous system in my rig. Whenever I come up with a tone I like, I want to be able to flip the chickenhead knob to profile mode and capture it, without too much EQing after that (that is the main reason I bought the kemper).

Now after some background, to my quesiton: If I assume that the kemper DI would deliver a better result, could I put it in between the amp and the load box like: Amp -> Kemper DI -> Torpedo Captor ? (using the DI from the Kemper box and the Captor only as the dummy load of course)

Hi,

First of all I would suggest you to check the ammount of gain and compression you have in your profile. I have seen quite a lot of profiles with way more than necessary, which I believe could lead to this problem.

Just came by to leave some feedback on these packs I scored from soundside.de during their summer deal:

80 Mesa® Triple Crown TC50 Amplifier
    73 Mesa Boogie® JP2C
    72 Friedman® PT
    71 Mesa Boogie® JP2C
    61 ENGL Invader II
    29 Diezel® VH4 Amplifier

Some amps like the Invader and the VH4 have been well-profiled inside out (really!)
    Spot on JP2C and TC profiles!
    About the Friedman® PT profiles... well, I never thought that (even) the toaster would manage to capture all the dynamic and responsiviness of such amp! From crispy / edge to breakup clean to crushing heavy distortion on the same profile ... Playing these makes me wanna buy the real amp, seriously ...

Also worth to mention that I really enjoyed the "regular pack" kind of profiles. It makes me feel like Im in the room trying the amps different settings out as the profile naming allows me to "picture" in my head what I am doing when scrolling through the rigs.

Great job Armin!

Regards,
    Luiz

Well... while I DO think there should be an editor, my personal opinion is that it's an exaggeration to say there's a need for one with the Kemper. With my AX8 or any other FAS product, the editor is definitely a requirement with the vast number of possible adjustments. With the Kemper, I don't think I'm mistaken in saying that Kemper (the company) designed the Profiler to not need an editor. I think it succeeds.

That said, the primary valid argument I see for an editor is in the studio where you don't necessarily want the Profiler on your desk, or maybe you want it in a rack where it's not easily accessible.

I feeel it the same way.
    With the kemper I tweak less, play more and have more fun.