Posts by raunch

Hi,

just wanted to say I bought this one earlier this morning and I just spent a good hour and half noodling around.

What can I say? I absolutely love this profile and it may as well be my favourite so far. There's not a ton of gain on hand but the actual tone is really good. He captured the Hiwatt pretty well, wow...back to playing :)

I'm in a similar position. Since I bought my Kemper I haven't even touched my AC30 once. I don't play live any more and the Kemper covers all the AC30 tones I could ever want. My wife tells me to keep it but I'm back and forth about it. Mine is a AC30cc2 and has some bugs (cracks and pops sometimes).

I guess we have two alternatives: 1) keep it and leave it at that 2) keep it for a few months, profile it and sell it off.

The first alternative (1) means you'll have a box collecting dust in the corner that someone else could be using and the second alternative (2) means you won't have this amp to play around with (live and recording).

Mine will probably fetch about 600 EUR....so I'm back and forth about the effort.

Thanks!

Kinda figured it wouldn't be possible. I guess VH1 is a "studio" tone anyway. Now I just need to learn how to play like Eddie!

Here's what I did in case anyone is interested: Basically I took some Rock Star stems off youtube that captured what I hear in the VH1 tone. In my DAW I added a Kemper audio track and recorded the beginning of You Really Got Me. Then I EQ matched with the original YRGM stem and adjusted to taste. Voila, near perfect VH1 tone. I say near because I was using my Les Paul. It's the closest I've ever gotten.

Hi,

it's very early in the morning here and I can't sleep.

Is there are practical way of taking say a Marshall profile and a recorded tone and eq matching them in a DAW and then dropping the EQ matched frequency output into the Kemper? Yesterday I cracked the Van Halen I tone by EQ matching it with a stem file in my DAW and would like to use the EQ in my Kemper.

Thanks!

I bought my Kemper in April or May of this year. I went out and bought a ton of commercial profiles. For me the honeymoon phase is over and now I just see the Kemper as my main tool. I haven't thought about getting another tube amp, really. (Although I may get a 3 Monkeys one day).

It's kind of like when you buy the ultimate power tool. You have have it and use it daily. It checks all your boxes. As a recording artist, I just needed something like the Kemper since I started.

Now that I have the guitars I want and the amps I want my GAS has moved over to effects and plugins, argghhh! I'd love to find a cheep H3000 SE or get ever Waves plugin there is. :wacko:

You can have me and the producer behind Big Hairy profiles dial in and profile the same amp. Same mic. Cab. And still there may be enough difference, in how we set it all up, to make you much prefer one profile over another (other times tones are very similar, but that's not the whole story).

^^This! This! THIS!

In my humble opinion, when you buy a commercial profile you are buying 25% the amp's profile and 75% the production skills of the person profiling. People tending to neglect that a lot in my experience.

Another thing I would like to add, in my experience, tone = tuning and timing 75% of the time. That is why you can find top-notch player getting amazing tones from a Gorilla solid state amp, or BIAS or a can of beans.

Remember music is about feeling, timing, tuning and a lot more, not just the amp or custom shop guitar. And btw, those percentages I used are probably wrong, it was just to demonstrate a point. :thumbup:

Oh, yes I did it, I'd tried all the outputs with my monitors, with an amps and with a cab (to the Speaker output). There is no difference between them each time.I made some recording pluged in SPDIF : These rigs come from the KPA from origin :

I can understand that that is not everyone's tone for sure. It wouldn't be mine if that matters.

That being said, there are differences between tube amps and the Kemper, plus some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others.

In your example, I'm not hearing anything like a cheap transistor amp and I grew up in the 80's, so I know what cheap sounds like haha ;)

As Dimi84 said above, you may not be digging the "original amp tones" (and as I understand it, how the original amp was mic'd up) but you may not be digging a certain frequency in the profiling as well. There are discussions on this forum about that. You may not be digging the mic'd up tone vs the room sound. That is just something you may want to consider as well.

As a reassurance, I wasn't entirely happy with the factory presets. And if those were the only ones available I may not have kept my Kemper (*). That being said, there are a lot of very very usuable tones on the Rig Exchange/Manager. And there are many great commercial profiles out there.

(*) Tones are subjective and the presets are great for sure, so I'm not knocking them

Hope that helps.

Ok, I've rested "Rig" (Power on+button "Rig") and it's better. For the moment I'd just test the constructor rigs and some of the Rig Manager.
    But I really don't understand the enthusiasm of the Kemper owner's cause I found all these sounds not really fantastic (Lake of Bit [or Teeth - don't know the word] and no tube sensation). Amplitube 4 has better sounds - To me !
    The only real amp I have is the Jet City 20. And what I heard from the Rig Manager is far from the real one (Testing with the same real cab).
    Maybe I had to carved all my own sounds...Quite disappointed :(

The Kemper basically just makes a snapshot of a recorded tone. So if you're not making your own profiles you are basically just taking someone else's take on their recorded tone. This is really evident with all those BE100 profiles out there, i.e. even though it is the same amp, they all sound very different from each other depending on how they were mic'd.

Sounds like you are happy with your Jet City 20, so do go ahead and try out some of your own profiling.

I recommend surfing the Net for Kemper pre-made profiles you love. Download or purchase those tones and try them out for yourself. That might give you another perspective or fresh ears to judge your own profiled tones in a different way.

Hope that helps!

But as I said, at some point it gets too creepy when i receive texts from racist insults to mockery from people I know are from here, even if I don't know who exactly. It take away energy from being creative with the limited time most of us have. I don't need this.

I think those people know who they are and should have the balls to private msg you and apologize sincerely. Let's keep this forum clean and helpful. Everyone's opinion is greatly valued but there has to be a certain level of respect.

I wish you well, Dimi. See you out there!

I'm in a similar situation as you. I play at home. Record at home. Have kids and an office job, so time is limited. Plus I live in a unit.

I tried a ton of amp modellers. I had BIAS. But once I bought a Kemper it was over there was just now comparison. GAS for Amps is absolutely gone. I haven't looked back at all and I haven't touched my amps since I bought the Kemper.

There are people here with much better ears than mine but for me the Kemper nailed it.

Also, new v2 patches are going to be released this week for the Soldano, Bogner, Demeter, ADA, and CAE.

That is very cool. I have all of those profile packs so I looking forward to that!

I picked up your Supro profile pack a while ago as well. It isn't that well know really and I wonder why that is? I really like it, Michael and I think I heard you mention somewhere that this particular Supro gets a fair bit of use in your clients' recordings?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the UK800 but that JMP-1 sounds very tempting.

Congratulations! The production is great and I'll give it a full listen once the kiddies are in bed.

Producing a full album has been a dream of mine for ages, I've just started on my "3 years" voyage. Is there anything in hindsight you can advise me on?

I've never heard of it, but I think you're talking about this pick:

G'Day,

yep, that's the exact pick. Thanks for posting the picture.

The thing is, if you rotate the pick 90°, you can use the side of the pick and use the bumps to get that U2 tone. They're meant to keep you from losing your pick but they can really add to the tone and bring out the pick attack. This pick is fun for funk, too.

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for taking the time and making the effort to do these profiles.

Currently loaded in my Kemper I have your ADA, Fish, DMTR and Slo profiles. After first receiving my kemper I bought them immediately but have only rediscovered them lately. I initially liked them but quickly gravitated towards many free profiles. After noodling after for a few months with my new toy I decided to get back to work and that is where I believe your profiles really worked for me.

Firstly they really fit into a mix and work really well for me when guitars are doubled. There's not much messing around with these profiles at all. Another plus is I found these profiles are interpretations of tones you will hear on albums done by a top-notch producer/engineer and that lets you carry over some reverb or eq settings to other profiles. They serve as a great anchor or benchmark for adjusting tones of other profiles. The tones themselves are stellar.

Michael, I hope you continue making these somehow, really appreciate the effort. I will be getting more, that's for sure.