Posts by karlic

Interesting what you say about direct profiles. When I tried this I got odd results in the high end of sound from a distorted preamp. Also the bass was not accurate. Is it a case of what DI box you use to some extent, or is that secret?

Will you update the JSX for merged?

That is why I am not keen on the idea of a beep in the profile. If you buy profiles, then you would never be disappointed with demo restrictions. However, this would allow others the change to find what they want without buying blind.

If none of these ideas prove useful to Kemper or profile makers, maybe the Choptones approach would be something others look at. In their youtube demos they often have a section with just guitar on its own in mono and double tracked. For me a full demo is affected hugely by the bass guitar tone.

Brighter profiles in distorted tones that work in a mix are often too bright for live application. At volume the Fletcher Munson effect means you need a bit more mid range and less highs. The Britt profiles are darker than most, so probably sound good live.

The Rocktron Velocity is not bad for a 1u, but you really need the 300 for enough headroom at volume. 100w on the Rocktron is not the same as a tube 100w. If you are on a budget, the Marshall 8008 (160w total) has a linear switch to make it a flatter response. Both are stereo, but I am not sure why you would want one if you already have a powered Kemper,

Not entirely true. Merged profiles work better with impulse responses and they're more authentic in that application than using a studio profile. This makes the Kemper more accessible for those who use IRs if they're coming from different platforms.

I don't quite get this. Surely you would use a studio DI profile for this and then add an IR. One output could go FoH and the other to a guitar cabinet without IR. Am I missing something? I understood a merged profile to be a DI merged with studio profile to calculate the difference and separate the cab.

Personally, merged profiles were a brilliant development for me live. If there is a tiny difference between merged and studio, it would never be detected at a gig. I love having that authentic sound through a 4x12 on stage and my engineer gets what he wants out front. Bypassing a cab on a studio profile always made a very harsh sound at volume.

Some of us will never satisfied in that eternal search for a slight improvement in tone. That is part of the enjoyment for me in playing guitar. Whether using a real amp, or buying and creating new profiles, I love it. The perfect tone is just around the corner.

I haven't got a powered version. I just use my power amp and a cab. When travelling to festivals, plug into the fx return of an amp provided.

All these 2.4ghz systems seem to have complaints about dropouts. My experience is that they are fine in most situations, but troublesome whenever I try to play a somewhere like a festival. The airwaves are jam-packed with all sorts of wireless activity and the range becomes very limited.

My old Sennheiser Evolution never had problems, although it is probably illegal after by now.

I know what you mean about a guitar speaker. My front of house guy is happy with the sound from DI, but I still use a 4x12 with merged profiles to get the right feel on stage. That is, I use in ears, but there is weight missing if I don't have the speaker in the background too.

It starts to sound like you are someone who needs to make their own profiles if you have access to the gear.

Why not look at other profiles. I'm sure that M Britt are great, but they don't suit everyone. For me, they are very different to most other commercial profilers.

The other thing is that you will almost certainly need different tones live to those that work in the studio mix. To create the illusion of power over small speakers and headphones requires a different approach to pumping it out live.

Every live setup I ever had took at least six months to get the best from, so never give up immediately.

The top end on high gain profiles is a difficult balance sometimes. A profile that sounds appealing on its own, will often be way too dull in a busy mix when other instruments are in. Then I find my tone on an album is too bright for live and the presence needs dealing back when played at volume.

It is a fine balance between enough brightness and a profile that is too razor sharp. For me, Reamp Zone gets this about right, but it will different for everyone.

I'm not sure you should be compromising tone to compete with other instruments. In any case, it is hard as a musician playing a single instrument to judge what is coming through at the right levels.

Our FOH engineer let me know what levels were wrong for the first few shows with the Kemper.

OneEng1 nailed it for me when he mentioned less gain. At high volume it can sound messy. Also I found some rhythm sounds for rock or metal that sound good in a studio mix often are too bright live.