Posts by stevenclements

"...This tiny signal originates in the cochlea and vibrates the ear drum, turning it into a speaker and playing sound back out of your ear. Yes our ears make sound! ....The nuraphone uses an extremely sensitive microphone to detect this returning sound wave, and a self learning engine built into the nuraphone to create your profile"
    If profiling an amp was not enough, now they profile your ears... :D

Interesting, anyway, I wonder if someone tried those headphones.

Yes the ears actually do produce sound... but these distortion product otoacoustic emissions (OAE's)are quite variable on test/retest.

https://academic.oup.com/bmb/article/63/1/223/377500

"While DPOAEs relate to threshold across a population, they are at best a very unreliable and imprecise indicator of an individual's hearing threshold. This is because, unlike the ABR, OAEs are presynaptic responses. Their origin precedes the ‘threshold’ imposed by the inner hair cell's transduction process. Use of higher stimulus intensities increases OAE detectability and can provide useful evidence of residual hair cell activity, but does not probe any deeper into the auditory pathway."

OAE's are related to outer hair cell function

the nuraphone is essentially a form an elaborate EQ... it allows you to adjust the sounds you are presented with - modifying them to the way you prefer it.

Yes when I hear a 2 kHz pure tone at 50 dB nHL it sounds similar but perhaps not exactly how you hear it because one of us may have hearing loss, and yes your perception of that pure tone may be subtly different from the way I hear it; but now we're getting into higher brain function. Which indeed is where hearing really belongs, most notably because you understand with the brain.

So to the original post; yes we all "experience sound differently. We process sound the same (through an undamaged system), and our sense receptors are virtually identical given no congenital or inherited abnormality.

We do hear sounds the same but we perceive them differently especially when it comes to judging what we like. For the most part... if you like the Van Halen guitar sound on a particular song... and you're able to recreate it to a point that you and your friends cannot tell it apart... and you profile it capture it 99.9% as good as the amp/signal chain and it sounds like the Van Halen guitar sound... it's gonna sound like that to anyone else.

Scientific research to back this up?

If you're referring to qualitative differences I would tend to agree, but still a double blind study or it's merely hearsay :)

I don't like country music but sure like some of the guitarists... you may like country music. But I don't think that means we perceive things differently it's merely a higher level decision.

Love my Timeline + Mobius + Deco in the effects loop... but for chorus I really have to say nothing beats the Yamaha UD-STOMP to my ears.

Drayen Labie does it justice

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

if you're recording into a DAW you can put a PEQ on the channel...
    if you're recording to tape you can put a PEQ in an aux send of the mixer or directly on the output of the KPA prior to desk/tape.

having a global PEQ would be nice.

Having a software editor that would allow you to assign the same effects to all your amps or copy your effects and EQ settings from one profile to another or to delve deeper into your programs would is somewhat more of a desire for most... especially in a thread requesting a software editor. :)

I just bought a Rickenbacker 4003s and it all fell together.

Grab some Profiles of a Marshall Super Bass - there's some free ones that will get you there
    The MW-Brit Bass by Michel Wagner is perfect! I just adjusted the EQ knobs in the front to emphasis what you want to get all Chris Squire about your tone and it's great. All the gain all the grit and when you dig in with a pick or even your fingers it's gold

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Pigtronix Infinity Looper: Loop Aging

I would assume that this looper would function really well on the output of the KPA or perhaps even in the effects loop? Typically we loop prior to the amp but it's nice to loop effects as well. So you could use this looper in conjunction with the looper built into the KPA

manual

https://www.pigtronix.com/wp-c…0/SPLManual_2.0_FINAL.pdf

Pigtronix Infinity Looper: Using Expression Pedals

You can use the expression pedal to alter the rate of loop decay as well as loop volume.

The variloop sounds odd but different strokes... what is cool is that you can change variloop by sending midi notes so you could have the loop jump in pitch around in time to your midi clock ~ could be interesting.

https://pigtronix.com/infinity/#instructional-videos

MIDI mapping

MIDI Control Changes (CCs)
    MIDI can be used to control many specific functions of the Infinity via a properly configured MIDI controller.
    Like MIDI Sync, MIDI mapping is always enabled, so that MIDI foot controllers, Ableton, and other devices or software can control parameters of the Infinity Looper.
    A Full MIDI Map is provided. The behavior of individual commands (CC: control change) is broken down into 4 types of control:

Cycle/Toggle
    Any value of these MIDI CC/Note messages toggles or cycles through the available options, changing to the next selection.

Mapped
    The value (0-127) of these MIDI CC/Note messages sets the value of the parameter.

Loop-Assignable
    Specific values of these MIDI CC/Note messages triggers the action for Loop 1 Only (0), Loop 2 Only (1), the currently Armed Loop Only (2), or Both Loops (3).

Switch
    The value of these MIDI CC/Note messages determines whether the message acts like a switch press or delivers specific type (short or long) of switch press.

A value of 0 is not pressed, a value of 127 is pressed. For MIDI controllers that send 127 when pressed and 0 otherwise, this type of command lets the MIDI footswitch act like the buttons (hold for 2 seconds for a long press, or less for a short press).

So you could get DAW software (Cubase, Ableton, Logic etc) to send midi info to change things or better yet set up a midi controller so you're not bent over pushing buttons to get to some of these features. I'm thinking it would be best to map some of these things to a midi controller and affect them from the standing position.

OK... there are apples here and there are oranges and 2 thoughts on a VST of/for this KPA we know and love.

I think some of us, myself included, would love VST control (the apple) of the Kemper and some of the comments in this thread are talking about just that.

Others are thinking of a VST version (the orange) of the Kemper with all the functionality of a Native Instruments Guitar Rig or similar software.. with the associated issues of piracy.

So with that murkiness un muddled....

I would LOVE a VST that would allow me to control various aspects of the Kemper profiles.

• To allow me to save the profile with the song in a DAW for instant recall.
    • To allow me to sync effects (yes I know I can do that now) and mod then with LFO's and save them in the song.
    • To allow me to edit profile's in such a way that I cold not only look at numerous settings in various menu's in the KPA but allow me to cut and paste entire effects blocks into other profiles. Also to allow me to change cabinets or effects with greater ease.
    • Allow me to love my KPA more ;)

Oh... and if this VST ran as a stand alone editor I certainly wouldn't be upset.

mic drop

be well!