Posts by jabromusic

I've found that pairing the OD pedals with an EQ (and tweaking the mix parameter) can yield some great results. Yeah, it takes a little more work and creativity on our end but the payoff is worth it. I agree that the OD pedals need an upgrade and have faith that Kemper will eventually get around to addressing the issue.

i could care less. my kemper still sounds and feels like a tube amp. kemper doesn't need to keep coming out with firmware update after firmware update because their product is as close to perfect as you can get. that said, i AM looking forward to kemper adding more effects in the next few moths!

Liquid Foot+ 12+ MIDI foot controller for sale. Comes with AC adaptor, a brand new (still in box) pair of Monster MIDI cables and is updated with the latest firmware. Cosmetically the unit is in very good shape although the bottom has a few scratches (you can see them in the picture). $675 + shipping in the CONUS only.

[Blocked Image: http://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/FullSizeRender.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/IMG9636.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/IMG9634.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/IMG9637.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/IMG9638.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://u.cubeupload.com/jabromusic/IMG9635.jpg]

another vote for the liquid foot 12+. i use my KPA in browser mode and have about 20 presets when i play live. each preset is like it's own virtual pedalboard and i have control over all 8 effects on every preset (where i believe you only can control 4 effect slots on the remote). i also like being able to assign different colors AND have the ability to name each button on the liquid foot 12+.

hi everybody,
    well, it happened again. my KPA froze up on another gig. this also happened a little over a month ago. this time it was a little different though. i have my non-powered KPA midi'd up to my liquid foot 12+. my midi cables are basically brand new and are high quality cables. anyways, i powered up my KPA, powered up my liquid foot 12+ and then connected the midi cables to the liquid foot. everything was working perfectly until the power supply for the liquid foot was mistakenly unplugged by another musician. i immediately plugged it back in and my KPA became unresponsive. it was unresponsive to the liquid foot and the front panel was unresponsive when i manually tried to change patches (or anything else). suddenly, the screen changed from the patch i was on and just read "kemper profiler". it was frozen. the crazy thing was that it was still frozen in the state when i powered the unit off.

eventually the unit powered off. i unplugged the KPA and i also unplugged the liquid foot controller as well as disconnecting the midi cables from the liquid foot. i powered the KPA back on and it was responsive when i manually adjusted it via the front panel. i thought everything was going to be OK. wrong..... i reconnected the liquid foot and the freeze happened again. i went through the entire process of unplugging everything and then plugging it back in and the freeze happened again. luckily, the front panel worked when the midi cable wasn't plugged in so i ran out to my car and grabbed a volume pedal and a wah pedal and had to change patches and switch on/off pedals and effects manually the entire night (which is hard to do when you need both hands to play the guitar).

does anyone have any idea why this happened?

i've had my KPA for about 2 years and it was working perfectly up until 2 weeks ago. it actually froze up about 20 minutes before my gig! the good news is that i got it home, powered it up and it's been working perfectly ever since. not sure if it was a power issue at the venue that caused the freeze. i will always bring a backup rig (sansamp flyrig, wah and volume pedals) to gigs from now on

update: just had my first gig since my KPA froze up on my gig last week. everything is working perfectly! i'm hoping that last week's freeze was a 1-time event. i'm still wondering what happened and the only thing i can come up with is that there was something funky in the power at the venue in brooklyn.

also, i just got some neumann kh-120 studio reference monitors to use at home in order to tweak my patches for live use. these things sound fantastic! i got a lot of compliments on my sounds on the gig last night. it seems that the patches translate very well from the neumann's to a live situation through a full PA system

I agree. If it continues I could see it jeopardizing your position. Seems like you are taking the right approach with a backup available at all times. If it were me I think I would have the backup plan plugged in and ready to go for every gig until a time I was satisfied the Kemper wouldn't suddenly crash on me. Even then I would still have the backup readily available if needed.

usually, this particular band has plenty of time to set up and soundcheck so i will just keep my backup rig in my car. if i find that the kemper is frozen on startup i will have about 2 hours between then and the start of the gig. this particular gig was a wedding where all of the events (ceremony, cocktail hour, reception and after party) were in ONE big room. we all got there in plenty of time but had to wait until about 20 minutes before we were supposed to start to set our gear up (PA included). it was a big cluster&*%$. my next gig with this band is tonight so i will report back tomorrow. the good news is that the kemper has been working fine all week at my house. fingers crossed!

Over a stretch of 50 or so gigs, there were a couple of funky moments where the Kemper sort of went into protection mode, rebooting mid-song, due to some overtaxed, subpar electrical outlets. But those were my shows, in a hectic crowded dance party atmosphere. The experience kind of built character, no big deal really. In the scenario you describe, as a service provider, after maybe the second attempt at booting up the KPA, I would've switched to a simple backup like a zoom MS pedal or an amp character pedal. That type of thing can shake you to the core, but night in and night out, most would say, and it's been my experience, that the Kemper is way more reliable than any experience prior, using traditional analog/tube approach. Every time I see a guitarist setting-up a traditional rig, they're always frantically plugging and unplugging pedals seconds before the show, searching for the cause of some random issue. Glad you kept your cool and saved your gig.

i actually have a sansamp flyrig 5 which i will ALWAYS have in my car from here on out. this was a very nerve racking experience and could have been a total disaster if the circumstances were different. it also could've jeopardized my job with this band. the crazy thing is that it works perfectly now at home and i can't duplicate what happened on the gig. hopefully support can figure out exactly what happened

Couple of thoughts, I'm not sure if these are related to your problem but I thought that I would share them just in case.

1) One time when I was using a MIDI controller (before I got the Kemper Remote) and I accidentally misaligned the MIDI cable when plugging it into the controller and IIRC it acted like you described. What happened was the MIDI controller had a 7 pin socket because it supported phantom power, I was using a 5 pin cable and somehow had it misaligned when I plugged it in. MIDI connectors do have a key so you shouldn't be able to do that but somehow I did :)

2) I discovered by accident that if you turn the master volume knob on the KPA while it is booting it won't boot correctly. This makes me wonder if your controller was sending commands to the KPA while it was booting causing it to lock up, I'm not sure if MIDI commands would affect the KPA like turning a knob on the front of the KPA but it might be worth investigating. BTW, I did report this and Kemper support was able to duplicate the issue so I'm sure that they will address it in a future update.

thanks for your reply tim! it definitely wasn't a misaligned midi cable. in fact, i believe i unplugged the midi cables and plugged them back in at one point and there was no change. the midi pedal was definitely on and connected at startup but i always start my rig up like this and it has never froze up in the past

Bummer. 4 years of gigging with mine and no issues so far.
    So presumably there was NO front panel control with the MIDI pedal unplugged??

i'm not sure. by that time we had to start playing and i just had to deal with what was happening. if there was a problem with the midi pedal and the KPA working together i'm guessing that the same thing would've happened once i got home and hooked my rig up

hi everybody. well, it finally happened to me last night. after successfully using my unpowered KPA for the last year and a half, it totally froze up on me minutes before my gig started. just a little background. i control the KPA with a liquid foot 12+ and run it direct into the mixing board for this particular band (we all use in-ear monitors). up until last night, the KPA has always worked perfectly and never given me any problems whatsoever. we were playing at a high end wedding in brooklyn, NY and couldn't really set up until 20 minutes before we were supposed to start playing (the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception were all in the same room and it was a total mess). we usually have a couple of hours to do a long soundcheck and relax a little.

once we were able to setup, i noticed that my KPA was taking a lot longer to start than usual. it finally booted up but was stuck on 1 patch. i couldn't change patches via my LF12+ or via the front panel. i was still pretty calm. i tried to power off the KPA but it was frozen and wouldn't even turn off. still fairly calm. i unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. again it took forever to start up. it finally went back to that same patch. i was getting a signal but again i couldn't change patches at all. i then noticed that the screen of the KPA no longer displayed that patch name. it just said "kemper profiler". again, it was frozen and wouldn't power off. i started to freak out! =O again, i unplugged the KPA and tried a different outlet. i thought that the outlet that i had previously tried might have been funky. the same result happened once i plugged into the other outlet. i was in full freakout mode. nothing was working and my kemper kept freezing and was unresponsive. i was lucky enough to restart the KPA once again with the midi pedal unplugged and just did the entire set on one patch.

luckily, we only had to do 1 set on this particular gig because there was a salsa band and a DJ who were also splitting the night with us. if this band had to do the entire gig it would have been a DISASTER and i could've potentially lost my job with this band (i'm a professional musician and rely on these gigs to make a living). this cannot happen again.

of course, i set my gear up once i got home and everything was fine. the KPA worked perfectly and i was unable to duplicate what had happened on my gig. could this have happened because of bad power at the venue? i was told that the KPA doesn't need to be run with a power conditioner or a voltage regulator. i don't really know what to do at this point. thanks for reading this post and i'm all ears if anyone has any ideas as to what happened last night.

thanks!

jack

p.s. i was running the latest official released firmware for the KPA (not the latest beta)