Posts by jimification

+1

and just in case there's time...since there is stereo potential, how about a stereo pitch modulation tremolo like on the Magnatones? (I believe it's something like two different trems (one on each side) running out of phase with each other)

Hello, I am selling my 9 month old mint condition silver (white) unpowered toaster. It's mint condition, boxed with all manuals, bought from guitar guitar 9 months ago and never been out of my home studio. I'm in Sussex, please get in touch if interested, you can reach me at jimification (at) gmail (dot) com thanks! Jim

Hello,

I'm looking to sell my white, unpowered Kemper toaster, bought 9 months ago from Guitar Guitar and only had light use in my small home studio, so is absolutely mint, with all packaging, manuals etc.

Ideally I'm looking to swap for a rack version, as I'd like to build it into a small combo but a swap is less likely, so can sell this one for funds to buy the other.

Not sure about price - whatever would be a "fair" price for both parties given the age and condition really - if you're interested please get in touch and we can discuss....I'm based in Sussex and you can reach me at jimification (at) gmail (dot) com (surely the bots are onto that trick by now....)

thanks for looking

Jim

Well I have to say, this is a very nice present indeed, thank you very much KPA team!

I'm really impressed by the way they have been implemented, too. It's very sensible to allow wider ranging use of many parameters, rather than having a specific "reverse delay" or whatever. Actually par for the course for KPA - you guys have a very well thought out process for everything.

Also thanks for including the "hold" function, that was one of my favourite things on the Timefactor. The presets have been very useful so far to get a nice taste of what lovely things can be done. I can only imagine what is possible with this flexibility combined with mutiple slots... 8o

Again - big props for this - thanks!!!

One thing they could do with the Kemper 2 is to allow profile makers to create 'mega' (for want of a better term) profiles that contains multiple profiles of an amp, each with different settings. So, instead of having 12 profiles for different gain and mic settings on a particular amp, you would just have one mega profile, and adjusting the gain dial would essentially morph between each sub-profile.

I really like that idea :thumbup:

Coincidence @Rescator ? ;)

User rmpacheco just uploaded new Morgan AC20 rig:

He's going to have to work quite hard to top the first one! ;)

btw: I expect everyone knows but as one of the admin's here kindly pointed out - it's worth copying the eq stomp settings on that Morgan rig - they work really nicely with some of the other amp profiles!....(though my current fave is the free Lonestar profile from Mbritt).

Now that we can have multiple delays it's also nice to play around with using the delays to make a room sound too. I found a nice sound by adding a slapback delay in front (150ms or so) then severely choke the bandwidth control to kinda mimic "soft furnishings" soaking up treble in a room :D What also worked really well on this delay is turning ducking the other way (negative value) (thanks Kemper guys for allowing this!) - so that the delay is present when you're playing but not when you stop, this just fattens up the sound nicely as if you were playing in a room but you don't get the giveaway "ringing" when you stop.

But I would like to say a big thanks for the Space function - this REALLY helps us guys who play on headphones a lot (along with pure cab) - thank you!

Just to add one more opinion from an "amp in the room" guy (I only had the Kemper about 4 weeks now).

In buying the KPA what I was looking for was something like a more flexible and practical tube amp for home playing, something that didn't have to be cranked and that I could plug headphones into late at night and that I could also use for home recording.

I was never quite happy with modellers through monitors / FRFR before, so made a bit of a leap of faith and went for a 25w stereo Camplifier and stereo 2x10 guitar cab to use with the KPA).

It took me a bit of trial and error to find some profiles that really clicked but four weeks into it, I will say flat out this is the best bit of guitar gear I've ever bought by some margin. In fact I freaking love it!

I don't have any problems with "fizz" like the OP, though. Given that I'm using a 25w stereo Camplifier too, I'm wondering if it's either just personal taste in sound / profiles or speaker differences? With my setup I find I usually actually boost the treble and presence a bit on most profiles (as an example with the bridge pickup on an EJ strat with the Morgan AC20 profile I bump them up by two or three lights worth each) I'm usually playing at relatively low volumes and it's possible that my speakers are somewhat quirky as a filter as they're actually Fender Vaporizer speakers. I will probably upgrade the speakers to some WGS or similar soon, so will report back if I have any fizz or other issues.

Interestingly, I assumed that the merged profiles would work better than studio types into a guitar cab (I always turn the cab section of each profile off when playing into the real cab) but a lot of the studio profiles sound just as good to me (good work by the Kemper guys on the cab seperation code, I guess!)

To answer the original question - Yes, with a guitar cab, I think it's absolutely fantastic for "amp in the room"

I can't believe the massive difference in opinions. How is it possible that one person can hear the same profile as too bright and another hear it as too dark? It's pretty crazy how differently we all hear things :) Maybe other gear comes into play such as speakers, mixers, guitars etc. Still I always find what works for me also works no matter what speakers I'm using. If anyone would like to try my profiles I'm giving away a free 80's Marshall JCM800 with Keeley SD1 profile on my website http://www.bigsunstudios.co.uk :)

Indeed! One of the things that has impressed me most about the Kemper is how radically different my different guitars sound through the same profile.

I'll grab your 800 profile tonight, thank you!

This thing is incredible.

It is... I've only had mine two weeks but as I start to "home in" on the profiles that really do it for me it just gets better and better. I still don't know the operation of it very well, though, because as soon as I switch on and select a favourite amp, two hours have gone by!......

I only got this last night but my new favourite is Top Jimi's profile(s) of a '78 Marshall Superlead modified by Tim Casswell. I'm really more focussed on clean / breakup playing these days but for some good old classic "80's rock monkey hour" fun these profiles are just outstanding - I only picked up the Les Paul to try them for 5 minutes but ended up jamming on them for hours :) They sound really nice with the amp gain backed off and I bet they would be amazing double tracked with some serious rock riffage.

There's an interesting history to this amp (the original version, that is, though this is apparently an identical circuit) - I believe it belonged to an LA amp rental company and was used on Appetite for Destruction and by George Lynch no tour. In fact I read a funny interview with Lynch where he said he liked that particular amp so much that he kept trying to buy it off the rental company but they wouldn't sell it. He said he even tried to return an identical looking Marshall head in an effort to poach the "Casswell" but the rental company noticed and demanded the original back :D

Has anyone ever tried HD800's with the KPA? I had some a while ago but sold them before I got the Kemper (very recently). They were a bit too clinical for me for relaxed music listening but the soundstaging was pretty amazing and I bet they'd sound really impressive with the KPA's space feature... (full marks for Kemper for including that, it makes a huge difference to me for headphone playing)