Posts by ancientmariner

I play in a maiden tribute band and have struggled to get the tone i needed. Until recently. I managed to get a proflile of the gk ml250 that they used on 7th son and somewhere in time and it is perfect for tracks off thsoe 2 albums. For everything else i use a jvm profile with little gain boosted with a 1ds stomp box. Perfect maiden tone. Send me a pm and I am sure I could send you the profile.

I have been testing these profiles for Mattfig for quite a while and they are stunning. The be100 in particular is the best i have heard and i have been through alot of be100 profiles. Highly recommended.

Steve

Do consider that the intro in the studio version is also likely triple or quad tracked. The fact I was able to get as close as I did using a single tracked guitar is pretty amazing, in my opinion. I also didn't pick the profile nor have the ability to tweak it. However, I picked ancientmariner's clip because it was well played and didn't sound like it was recorded using a cell phone. I mean, if you listen on really good speakers, you're going to hear differences. It's not a perfect match, but that test simply shows that with a profile that's a little closer and tweaked properly, you can definitely get there.

Thanks for the kind words, i recorded that about 6 months ago as a test to see if i could match the tone and the reverb depth. I had fully intended to quad track it and eq it to get it closer to the original. Dokkens guitar sound was always a bit distant to me, if that makes sense. That profile is a top jimi solodano profile and i felt it had the same characteristics. Your eq job on it is quite remarkable for a single recorded track.

Below is a quick EQ match of ancientmariner's Mr. Scary intro. Both were reduced to mono to put them on an equal footing. Ideally, you want the target track to sound as close to the reference as possible prior to EQ matching and I had no control over that, but all things considered I think the result shows what EQ can do:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

nicely done

i had a go at this tone a while back...using a soldano profile...no post eq and its a single track..i usually quad track guitars so i think i could have gotten it very close...hope thats helpful

I have experienced this with 1960a cabs alot. They are very susceptible to different enviroments. When my bad changed rehersal location recently, I was stunned at how good it sounded with my powerhead, at the previous place it was so harsh and full of top end that i hated it. Live too, from venue to venue there is a big fluctuation on tone, the 1960 cabs seem more susceptible to it than other cabs I have used. In the end I went with a dxr10 and never looked back simply because i wanted more of the profile and less of the cab colouring my profiles.

I learned this the hard way with my powerhead, did a gig a week after i got it and had everything cranked on stage..amp boost at full, profiles at 4 oclock and monitor volume full but was still utterly lost in mix. I was using a 5150 profile and through the pa it sounded epic, through my cab it was non existant. I had scooped the mids on a profile that was already fairly scooped sounding. The next time i rehersed with the band i used thr same profile and ran a mid heavy eq with the bottom end lowered and i spent most of the rehersal turning down to fit in the mix, not sit on top of it. Less gain, more mids and a cut to the bottom end should end your cutting through issues.

Yes that makes sense, thanks chaps. I was also concerned using the main outs would be too hot if i used the other main out to foh. I ususally set the main volume on the kpa to -25db just to be sure i dont hurt the desk. Will there be any noticable difference in tone betweeen xlr/main output and guitar cable/monitor out?

Thanks again.

Afternoon chaps,

Finally made the transition to FRFR with the help of a dxr10. Firstly, the tone is stunning and far exceeds that of my 1960 cab. So in that regard it is a masive step up.

I have a couple of questions about the dxr when used with the Kemper, I have a rehersal tonight so just wanted to check a couple of things.

I am using left main out via xlr from the kpa....should i be using monitor out via a guitar cable to the dxr? From I have read on the forum that the dxr should be set to line and not mic. I have noticed hiss when mic is selected but the unit is silent in line mode. Obviously that is a good thing but there is a considerable volume difference between mic and line. Mic being much louder. Is there a specific reason mic should not be used? As I am a tad concerned I wont be loud enough at rehersal. Also, where should the main volume on the kemper be set compared to the volume on the dxr..should i drive the kemper harder or dxr?

Thanks guys, and apologies if this has been asked a zillion times before.

Evening folks,

I thought I would tap the knowledge fountain again and get some advice please.

So, I am about to order a dxr12 for use at rehersals and for stage monitoring, the dxr12 seems to be the recommended choice for medium to high gain type stuff. I want to ditch my cab completley and stop using the internal amp in the powerhead.

One of the reasons i want to make the transition from 4x12 cab to active monitor, i am not happy with the tones at high volumes through the cab. I find them boomy and sharp with sharp highs and boomy lows. I have tweaked like crazy for a year and still feel like I lose control of my tones when at high volumes. I find this with all the guitars I use with the powerhead. When I record, i achieve the exact tone i am looking for, but when i use the powerhead and cab, the overall feel and tone is one I dont like.

My question is, will the dxr12 allow me to translate the profiles i use to high volumes without harsh highs and boomy lows? Essentially i want to maintain my tone as much as possible as the volume increases. Is this something I can realistically expect from the dxr12 or any other active frfr speakers/monitors?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, I want the wedge to replace my cab, so it's purposes will be to rehearse with it and use it as a monitor onstage without a cab. Weight isnt a concern for me, my biggest concerns are buying something that will handle high gain at high volumes easily. If the Dxr 12 or 15 can do that, it would be ideal.