Posts by joedreamliner787

I had the same issue when I bought mine. Could not get awesome sounds so I bought a SM57 and mic'd up my ENGL powerball II with my EVH 5150 III cab then I bought an eVH 5150 1x12 cab...problem solved and have my engl in a box . I made some profiles that are lead/rhythm live, lead/rhythm studio and both with a delay added. The difference is the studio patch simply bypasses the power head and uses a cab sim. I found you should profile and record your reference amp exactly the way you want without its reverb if the amp has reverb because the kemper reverb works amazingly well. I dont profile my amp flat aka all knobs at 12o'clock. Also the guitars and pickups make a difference IMO so I recorded different profiles some with higher mids and gains for my parker guitars vs my active emg guitars. I have a few of my profiles on rig exchange. Feel free to give them a shot. My sound is remarkably close to my full engl setup. Hopefully this is helpful!

Durwin,
    This is makes a lot of sense and I now I understand how this is being connected without tone sucking the guitar. I really appreciate the in-dept response and this really should be a sticky. A lot of people have Trio+ from what I understand. The reason I went with the powered version is because I love connecting to a CAB to jam on and it would be much easier for me to "hear" how close the tone actually is to my reference rig and also I got the powered unit as a scratch and dent for less than the price of non powered unit new.

On side note I ordered the Kemper Profiler Remote yesterday and I am really looking forward to it coming in!

Thanks for your help!

If there is piece of gear I had to name as being the best investment my Kemper goes to the top of the list. I went with the powerhead because I knew I would be using a cab instead of monitors to play through. You can't go wrong with it and there is so much help and support by the company and the consumers. They stand behind their product and what you to get the most enjoyment out of it as possible!

The quickest, easiest, and least expensive way would be to use a cab block in the Kemper that best approximates the sound of your physical cab and speaker. The other option would require either a second Kemper (to profile your current signal chain) or get your hands on an ENGL to profile through your cab. Personally, I would start previewing cabs in your Kemper to find a good match.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I do have an ENGL Powerball II with an EVH 4x12 cab. I have profiled my ENGL in my Kemper and I love it but I am still unclear on how to connect everything up.

Hi Guys!,
    I would first like to start by stating the amount of help and expertise in this group that everyone contributes too is a big help and thank you all!

My setup: Kemper PowerHead, EVH 1x12 Cab, set of Rockit 6 monitor speakers.
    Here is what I would like to do: When I play with my heavy distorted ENGL patch I have that routed to my EVH cab. How do I through the Trio+ into the loop so it captures
    that sound and plays it back and through the monitor speakers?

Finally is there a way to also patch this through my DAW as well? I typically use the Scarlett 2i2 to my PC.

Any help with this and please include settings that I might need to make in the Kemper would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I'm still in the early, honeymoon phase with my KPA, but I can't say how great it is to hear that Kemper stands by its product like this.

For me the unit is invaluable & truly versatile. It's light and a piece of cake to travel with. I had made two patches from my ENGL one for studio going through any set of monitor speakers and also one with power amp enabled to plug into any guitar cab.

I wanted to update this thread. After contacting Kemper about my situation they issued an RMA and the unit was repaired by AED Electronics in Dallas Texas. I was honest about the situation and explained to Kemper I had disassembled the unit to inspect the broken piece and offered to pay for a new front panel to replace it myself.

I can't thank Kemper enough for truly standing behind this amazing product. Their customer support is top notch and thanks to AED as well! My unit is functioning as expected and flawlessly. Everyone I show the profiler wants one as they can't believe how good it sounds as it sits next to my ENGL Powerball II head which is collecting dust because I stole the soul from my ENGL and it gave life to the Kemper.

Again, amazing customer support behind their product!

Thanks Guys, unit is not under warranty nor do I want to send it out when I am capable of replacing the board myself. LED's are working fine on my unit and I don't want to mislead the mfg. I specifically told them I bought a scratch and dent, I understand this comes with an inherent risk with the lower price point. For whatever reason they cant sell me the front panel I will try and find a salvage unit and unsolder the browse pot from the board and repair mine or try and locate the pot.

Hi Guys,
    I have a Kemper PowerHead that I bought as a scratch and dent a while back. The browse knob was hanging off so I glued in a piece of plastic that was cylindrical and it lasted for a while. Today it finally broke off but sheared flush so there is nothing left for me to attach to. I took the unit apart and realized these knob rather be on their own separate are PCB the are part of the entire front panel PCB with the LCD. I put an email into Kemper asking if I can purchase the front panel because I can replace it myself. I am in the USA. I hope they can let me purchase what I need. Other than that the unit has been fantastic!

Hi all!,
    I just got a Trio+, can anyone give me a tutorial from how to hook this up so it sounds the best including what I need to program in my Kemper?
    Note: I will be sending the Mixer out (bass and drums) to an external audio monitor. Help is greatly appreciated!

So, i did get the UPS tags and they set it up so i had 2 day shipping to and from the repair shop in Texas. This was a huge plus, less travelling my unit does the better. Im sure they only did this because i have a bunch of shows going on and need the unit. Matt from the repair shop let me know that they did not run into the same issue i was running into while my unit was on the bench. They had tested it many times. In the end, they changed some of the internal boards that would cause the problems i was describing and also the PSU (not sure exactly what that is) just in case. I cannot thank them enough for taking precaution and changing the parts regardless of having the issue occur at the moment they had it. Like ive said, it happened to me a few times and then worked and then happened again and worked. Great customer service and huge thanks to Matt and Keith for helping me out. Took a little over 3 weeks but I missed a few phone calls from them and that slowed it down. Can't wait to get my Kemper back tomorrow :)

Hi, Did you get your Kemper back? How is it working if you did? PSU my world of engineering is Power Supply Unit.

Hi,
    I went with the Powehead but I got it as a scratch and dent on American Musical Supply and mine only had a small scratch on the left side of the unit and I saved 482.00USD so basically I paid a little over 100.00USD than the non-powered unit. I took the unit through the full diagnostics in the maintenance menu. The draw back as Ingolf said is that it is mono. My opinion is that people have been recording mono guitars forever!
    I also choose the Powerhead so I can buy a small 1x12 heavy duty 8ohm speaker cab. The speaker cab is more robust to carry around than a monitor for me and all I need to take to jam sessions is my guitar, small speaker cab and my lunch(box) lol.Viabcroce brings up a great point about having more flexibility. Really depends on what you plan to use it for! Either way any Kemper you get you will not regret! The first time I powered it up I was like eh...it has some good sounds but then I started tweaking it the past couple of days recorded my own profiles and all I can say is WOW! If I were to buy another one I would get the Powerrack version as it seems more heavy duty and will fit in a lot of cost effective rack transport cases. I am not a fan of the soft case for the Kemper lunch box version. The knobs on the lunch box version can easily be broken if this thing takes a nose dive. I actually considered mounting some U rack handles to the front of my Kemper so that if it were to get knocked over the U-Bars would never let the knobs hit the floor potentially damaging the potentiometers.

Restarting after having it off for 10 minutes fixed the problem but then after 5 mins of playing it went out again and had no input. Passive pickups and i used 2 different guitars and 2 different cables. Kemper has told me to do a factory reset. If that does not work i will need to exchange/return the kemper :( I have only just started to profile my amps as well and really getting to know this thing. Amazing how it can copy any head. It's not yet perfect but that may be because i am still messing with different mic positions.

Hi, I am hoping I can help and add some two cents lol
    Do you have a Powerhead or regular Kemper?
    Have you done the factory reset yet? If so, did it work? If not, do you know how?
    Do you feel any excessive heat coming from the unit when it shuts off the input on you?
    When the input cuts out, does the display dim or any of the lighting on the unit?
    Have you tried powering it up (when you get input and is working) unplug your guitar from it, wait 15 min or so, plug your guitar in and see if you have a signal or not?
    Have you checked the actual power cord? I am an electrician so I ask because if you have a cord that is damaged internally and if the hot or neutral is damaged it will start to build resistance which could effectively
    overheat the unit. I am not sure if you are in the USA (did not look at your profile yet) but I would try changing the main power cord to rule that out and make sure it is a heavy duty. If you are in the USA and have a pretty awesome amp head that is 50-100W it will most likely be number 12AWG wiring in the cord. From what I understand in the specs the Head/Rack unit (non-powerhead version) only draws max 0.5 Amps and the Powerhead/Power Rack draws max 10.0 Amps.
    Do you have the Kemper Remote? If so, Have you tried making a quick loop track? I ask because maybe a thought would be make a loop track wait for the input signal to go away and try playing back the loop track with monitors connected to the outputs to see if you hear sound...

Just a few suggestions!

~Joe
    All of what you are saying sounds like a heat problem, did you ask Kemper if there is a safety built into the unit that shuts off the input?

Thanks for posting these :)

Of course! It is my pleasure. It is the least I can do for the many member whom share their unique rigs. These profiles I made are my mix between a heavy metal chugging bottom end but with sharp bright sounding highs and clarity for solos notably heard on Yngiwe Malmsteen recordings. I tried to balance these to serve both for rhythm and lead. I leave up to the user to add delays, stomps etc.

Thank you for the comment!

Hi everyone!
    First I must say I love the Kemper and I have only had it for a few days! To really appreciate the power of this unit you really need to profile your own rig! I have mine to the point after a little tweaking that I can not hear the difference between my "Kemper Amp" & My "Referenced Amp" This is my very first profiling and I hope you enjoy. It should be hitting the rig exchange soon but for now here they are attached.
    I have made two profiles: One for a studio setup and 2nd one for everyone who has a powerhead version going into their cab. The difference between the two is I disabled the "Cab" and made a few changes to make it exactly sound the way it does through my real setup.
    This a raw sound, with no effects added besides a noise gate if you want to call that an effect. I am also sharing with you information such as my guitar used, setup and even the settings on my ENGL amp. Here we go! Enjoy guys and feel free to tweak it to your liking!

Referenced AMP Dialing:
    ENGL Powerball II
    Channel 4 (Lead)
    Noisegate on Engl set to full
    Gain: 7.5
    Bottom pushbutton for CH 4: Enabled (gives the amp a more full sound)
    Bass: 6.0
    Middle Boosted: 8.0
    Treble: 5.9
    Lead Volume: 3.0
    Middle Boosted Switch: Enabled
    Master: 2.0

Guitar Cabinet:
    EVH5150III 4x12

Microphone:
    SM-57 pointed to "On Axis" Approx. 8 inches from cone (top right speaker of the 4x12)

Guitar:
    ESP-FR-7
    Tuning: AEADGBE
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY Blackouts 7 String Active Phase II
    Selector: Set to bridge
    Strings: Guitar Boomers custom light 9-11-16-26-32-44-62
    Battery: Brand new 9.6v
    EMG Afterburner: Disabled

Kemper Profiles Created:
    1st Profile:
    ENGL-PBALL II LEAD STUDIO
    This profile I created for a lead studio sound that I personally like. This has the virtual cab, real cab etc. enabled
    2nd Profile:
    ENGL-PBALL II PHEADTOBCAB
    This profile I created with the cab function disabled but I made a few tweaks to make it sound exactly as I hear it through my own cab. I created this specially for the PowerHead version where you are plugging the Kemper directly to a CAB.

Been going through some threads. I personally own an ENGL Powerball II with an EVH5150III Cab. Awesome setup! I want to take my Kemper to jam sessions
    and since I have the Powerhead version I am looking at some 1x12 cabs for ease of portability. So far I have looked at the above named cabs and just looking for thoughts
    and opinions on this. I am also assuming I would be disabling the CAB feature when running direct to a cab correct?