Posts by Jose7822

Such a device will need to have an excellent remote editor .... preferably a blue tooth to tablet interface IMO allowing anyone with an Android, iPad, or Laptop to have a comprehensive editing capability for the device ..... which should have minimal physical interfaces on it other than stomp switches IMO. To get the cost down, I would suggest either eliminating the ability to profile .... or to offer 2 versions of the foot controller ... one with and one without profiling capabilities. I suppose the device could be edited through USB and only to a PC laptop as a bare minimum though. Very few people are going to be editing rigs on-the-fly at a gig IMO.

Personally, I really like the setup using my rack and floor pedal because it keeps the cables away from my foot area on stage. A dedicated floor unit would need considerably more things going in and out of it which would clutter my stage area more. For me, live sound setup and tear down are the most important features of the device.

Editing through a mobile device is not as convenient as it sounds. We have Firehawks at church and they are a nightmare to edit. Sometimes the app loses connection with the device and then you’re screwed. I rather have the controls to edit from the device itself. Way more reliable and faster if done well.

As for cable management, you could have a company like Proaudio LA (or equivalent in other places of the world) make you a custom snake so you’re just dealing with one cable. They do a great job at making them look nice too! Also, live sound setup is exactly the reason why I bring my Helix to gigs instead of the Kemper. At least in my case, it’s literally grab and go. I’m talking 2 mins tops (and that’s me taking my time).

The fact that must not be overlooked ... Kemper sells all the units they can manufacture in no time. Even after 6 years this device sells like crazy so I wouldn't worry to much about a "need" for a Profiler 2.0 from the business perspective. ;)

The point I was trying to make was that a floor version of the Kemper is likely to be in even higher demand than the toaster, or rack versions, given the success of the Helix. I wasn’t talking about Kemper needing to release a Kemper 2.0 because the current version is not selling well anymore. Not at all! But I can see how it might’ve read that way :-).

Well, of course this is all preference. What I prefer is not necessarily what you prefer, and vice versa. I thought this was a given :-).

Most reviewers believe that the Kemper sounds significantly better than the Helix. Helix doesn't sell more because of its tone, or its features IMO. Helix sells more because of its price.
    If Kemper had a floor model in the same price range as the Helix, I think people would pick the new Kemper way more often than the Helix.

I pretty much agree with you on all counts, except I know for a fact that people do buy the Helix because of its tones. Don’t believe me? Just head over the big Helix thread found in the TGP digital modeling forum and read the myriads of comments about how good the Helix sounds. Line 6 has shown that they can improve the tone quality of the Helix, and they have throughout its lifetime. There are plenty of videos on the latest firmwares to prove it if you’re willing to search for them. Not only that, but many have sold their Kempers in exchange for a Helix BECAUSE of its features and portability.

These days functionality is a HUGE deciding factor for most people when it comes to digital amp modelers since all of the major players sound very close to the real deal. The differences in tone, while they exist, are so small that even I prefer to use my Helix on gigs over the Kemper (and I’m very picky about my tone. But sometimes functionality trumps it).

But definitely, IF the Kemper had a floorboard version at the same price range and similar functionality as the Helix then the Kemper would certainly sell A LOT more. I’m still not sure that it would sell more than the Helix only because Line 6 does an excellent job at promoting their products via the various retailers. But I digress.

Absolutely :)
    I think the issue may arise when/if said editor happens and Kemper rely heavily on the editor which, in turn, could lead to a sub-par experience on the actual unit. All theoretical, of course, but I'd hate for that to happen.

Trust me, the experience is already subpar on the unit when you get past common EQ tweaks and the likes. There are plenty of comments in this very thread, as well as others, about it which is why people are asking for a computer editor. If anything, the editor should expand on the experience. You’ll still be able to do what you can currently do on the unit itself. I don’t see why that would change.

Well, of course you don’t want a Kemper 2. You just got one :-P.

Like I said before, don’t want/need a Kemper 2? Don’t buy it! Don’t need a software editor? Don’t use it!

With all due respect, of course :)

I think the line 6 stuff sounds kinda weak, They are like all the other 2nd rung items out there really... But anyway, we are talking about a Kemper 2.0 here.

You’re entitled to your opinion :-).

The fact still remains, there are tons more Helix floor units being sold every day than Kempers or Axe FX, which goes in line with the need for a Kemper 2.0. Also, I felt the need to clarify misconceptions about Line 6 as a company. But yes, moving on!

That might’ve been the case with Line 6 before. But, since the Helix was announced, Line 6 has been great at communicating with their customers without giving away too much. And their customer service as of late is second to none! They’re really what every company should strive to be, IMO.

Not only that, but the Helix is the most well thought out multi-effects product line in the market right now. The level of integration between the floor unit, the rack unit and the computer software gives their users the ability to transition from a live setting to the studio, and vice versa, seamlessly. The hardware units give you everything you could ever want, to cover pretty much every situation (again both live and in the studio). The only negative it has is that it doesn’t sound, or does profiling, like the Kemper. BUT it still sounds REALLY good! So good that a lot of people have traded the Kemper tone quality for the sheer workflow and convenience that the Helix offers. Line 6 hit a home run with the Helix, and no one can take this fact away from them (if they do then they’re just in denial).

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight. Perhaps Line 6 was the way you describe in the past, but that’s not them anymore. Anyone who owns a Helix can attest to this.

P.S. Before someone immaturely asks, “well why don’t you get a Helix then?”. The answer is, because I already own one since day one (as well as a Kemper). I love the tones of the Kemper, but it’s just not as convenient for me as the Helix is in a live setting. I wished the Kemper and the Helix had a baby. But that will continue to be my wish :-).

You are thinking in one dimension, as in blending two similar sounds. Dual profiles are a must if you’re wanting to blend two completely different sounds, like a clean profile with an overdriven one. You can further shape the sound of each profile by adding its own set of effects. Another example would be combining a synth sound with a traditional guitar tone, which other modelers are currently able to do. Would be nice if the Kemper had these features, IMO.

At least in my case, you misconstrued me. I don’t dismiss anyone’s wants or hopes or expectations. But why should what one user wants stop another user from rooting for this small company to direct its energies and limited resources toward work that addresses his hopes and expectations? That user doesn’t have to buy the floorboard that you want, just like he doesn’t have to use the editor that I want. But he has every right to say what features he’d rather see them devote their energies to developing.

I have zero problems with people stating what they want/need (even if it is something I won’t use). But when you say “...he has every right to say what features he’d rather see them devote their energies to developing.”, you are literally saying “Please focus on MY wants/needs and not that other guy’s”. That’s the selfish part I refer to.

All I’m saying is, state your wants/needs and let the people at Kemper decide what to implement or not. After all they’re the ones with the final word. You do have every right to say what features you wish to see implemented, but don’t diminish other people’s wishes. And yes, stating that a floorboard version, or a computer editor, or dual profiles or whatever it may be, is useless to YOUR way of working is indeed diminishing other people’s wishes.

Hopefully this makes more sense :)

Please don’t be troubled by me expressing an opposing opinion. I have zero sway at Kemper. And btw, I reserve the right to purchase that imaginary device (although I doubt I would).

But if there was ever a sign that CK was interested in creating a floor version, any shred of evidence, wouldn’t there have been some sign by now, some clue?

My hopes and concerns are more in line with Kemper continuing to develop their current device, or if necessary and productive, from a core musical functionality perspective, to release a second version. On the other hand, convincing Kemper to do something that he/they obviously didn’t plan or want to do from day one, that’s not a campaign that interests me.

All I'm doing is expressing my wishes for either a Kemper 2 and/or a floorboard version of the current one. No campaign going on here. If anything, it should give Mr. Kemper a good insight on what people want. As already mentioned, Line 6 and Fractal are doing extremely well with their floor units. I see no reason why Kemper wouldn't do just as good, unless it wasn't priced competitively. FOR ME, it is much easier to take the Helix to gigs, which is the reason why I don't bring the Kemper outside of the studio anymore. Otherwise I would be using the Kemper instead, cause I love how it sounds. This is why a floorboard version of the Kemper would be amazing to have as well.

That said, it does bother me when someone (not necessarily me, btw) expresses their wishes, and others are not understanding of them. Like, at least try to put yourself in their shoes and see why what they're asking would be beneficial for a good portion of people instead of simply dismissing it just because it wouldn't be beneficial to YOU. People can be so selfish, man. If it's not gonna serve you, than just don't buy it (ignore it/move on/etc). Don't need dual profiles? Don't use it. Don't need a floorboard version or a Kemper 2? Don't buy it. Seriously, it's that simple! It's not like your current Kemper is gonna work worse than it has been already.

I see people in various forums ask for stuff I would probably never use and I don't go out of my way to say "Well, that's totally useless to me. I rather they work on such and such feature instead." On the contrary, I see their feature request just as valuable as mine. And if not, I still respect their wishes. That's because I don't assume that our needs are the same. Everyone uses the same tools differently, so we need to be understanding of each other. Plus, as you correctly put it, neither you (nor I) have any sway at Kemper. All we can do is state our wishes (preferably without outright dismissing other people's wishes) and hope they are listening. That is all.

A floor version would not “simplify” my live or studio approach; having to fall to my knee to make on the fly adjustments, the way I had to with a traditional pedalboard, would be a terrible step backwards... for me.

And that's totally fine. You don't want the floorboard version, then simply don't not buy it :-).

For those who do want it, like myself, would be a great addition. I can keep my current Kemper in the studio and bring the floorboard version to gigs. Everyone's happy!

Noooo just saying racks are racks and floors are floors and I like using the toaster, kind of a cool mini amp head, in the studio and live, so for me the whole push for a floor version holds zero appeal.

You said it correctly, "for YOU". Others have chimed in here, and in other threads/forums, about wanting a floor version. Personally, I too would like a floor version of the Kemper since that would give us a simpler, all in one, solution not offered by the head or rack versions.

BTW, thanks Mr. Kemper for unlocking the sample rate limitation! That was one of the things I mentioned on my list of features earlier in this thread for the Kemper 2, but now it is available in the current version.

Much appreciated!

It's an even bigger problem on Windows because Windows doesn't provide an option at all to aggregate multiple audio interfaces into one.
    I don't know what kind of studio you're referring to but every DAW and computer system that I'm aware of only supports ONE audio interface at a time. If the Kemper was your audio interface in the studio then you might have to teach me how you would record anything else (like vocals or drums or bass or a second guitar or keys) at the same time.

I'm quite sure that many people aren't remotely aware of the limitations of audio over USB usage.

Just switch your audio devices in your DAW as needed (Kemper for guitars, multi-I/O Audio Interface for the rest). No big deal. I mean, I do see how this can be a PITA for people using multiple USB audio devices. But this is not the case for everyone.

For my needs, having the ability to record the Kemper via USB (now that sample rates higher than 44.1KHz has been unlocked) would save me hundreds of dollars as I wouldn't have to buy a digital I/O module for my converters. I only really use the Kemper for reamping guitar parts recorded with Helix Native. Currently, I reamp through my Neve preamps, which sounds just fine. But the purist in me really likes the idea of reamping the Kemper without having to go through extra conversion passes :-).

Audio over USB is a pretty useless feature for a device like the Profiler (or the AxeFX or any similar product), imho.People should rather buy an interface with more IO than a bunch of Audio over USB devices and getting serious headaches from trying to combine them (aggregate on Mac) to act like a single interface in their DAW.

I disagree.

I too would like to have audio over USB since I keep my Kemper connected to my DAW computer at all times, so it would be very convenient to have that feature for people like myself, who use the Kemper in the studio. Perhaps this is a problem on the Mac OS, but it's not like that on Windows.

No I won't....Oh damn I have :)
    Serious gonna a leave it because these are requests and opinions. no one is right or wrong here everyone has a different view, which is why this post has become a bit redundant.

I wouldn't say is redundant, but reflective of what people want. It's free research for Kemper, if only of a subset of his users.

:)

I understand, you make some Good points, but selfish? I was just stating what it would take for ME to buy the next version… I was stating my opinion, my needs… I was stating what would push ME over the edge to get another one, understand? :thumbup:

That's my bad then. I incorrectly interpreted your post.

Nothing to see here :-).

Jose, If there was a KPA II introduced, (with superior amplifier tones, I don’t care as much about FX) I would buy it in a second. as I mentioned before, we guitar players are a strange bunch.
    However, If the base amp tones were not changed or Improved, I would not buy the KII.
    I’m in this for the “TONE”, not for 10 FX simultaneously, I only use two or rarely three effects at the same time at the most

You're being completely selfish here and just thinking about YOUR needs. As ColdFrixion said, maybe I need 10 simultaneous FX and not 25 - 30 profiles. My needs are different than yours and viceversa. That's OK. I wouldn't wish for Kemper to neglect your wishes just because I don't need what you need. Let's think about others too :-).

Uhmm...And you really think that your first point only applies to those who don't want a Kemper 2? The moment you buy a digital device you lose money. IOW, I too am losing money and will lose even more money when the Kemper 2 is announced. This is really a terrible excuse.

As for your second reason, guess what? I too want my voice to be heard, just like you and everyone else. For my wishes, the only way some of them will happen is with a hardware revision. I don't care what it's called (Kemper 2, Kemper XP, whatever), but dual profiles, expansive hardware routing, better Sample Rate support, audio interface capabilities, etc. None of these can be achieved without new hardware.

Also, given the features that the competition is offering, I think Kemper should consider releasing new hardware fairly soon. Tone is not all people care about, especially given how close to a real amp the Helix and the Axe FX can sound. This edge in tone that the Kemper has over them is getting smaller and smaller every day. Even today, there are people who trade this tone difference for better routing, dual amp and the recording capabilities found on other units. Just saying.

I know you'll come back, lol.