Posts by jb1336

For sale, the official Kemper Foot Controller Pristine condition, no Box but I'm pretty sure I have the manual (although I may not)

Not sure if I have the original cable but If I do you'll get that + a longer one I bought!

looking for £300.00 GBP

I'll ship it in a Thon Rack case either 3u or 4u (your choice) this is a freebie in tip top condition, but still a freebie so if you don't like the case you can flog it.

James.

SHORT VERSION:

- Using Aux in with guitar through headphones

- can't get aux in loud enough to be heard over guitar

- is there a way to turn the guitar down in the headphones? as I already have the Aux maxed

LONG VERSION

So basically I use my Kemper for IEMs live and run my vocals from our Focusrite into into the back of the Kemper so I can get a mix of the click from Ableton, the guitar from the Kemper, and my vocals, and have it all come out of the headphone output.

I'm using the Aux in (alternative input & return input) to recieve my click & vocals from the focusrite running ableton live

while the click is nice & loud I literally can't get the vocal loud enough to be heard over the guitar, even with the aux in on max.

any way to turn the guitar down?

You might try to find a better/different size tip for your iems to better cancel outside noise. If the iems themselves seem like they aren't loud enough (in general, not necessarily competing with your cab) you might look for a small headphone amp like Fios to boost them to an appropriate level.

I have ACS custom mounds that fit like a dream, weirdly the issue seems to have resolved itself, no idea why but not complaining! Appreciate the advice though

Save yourself a LOT of trouble and just get a cheap mixer and send your Kemper signal and the monitor mix to that, then take your headphones from that mixer. You can't really use the Kemper as a mixer/monitor in the long run. It's pretty pointless. Not to mention the fact that you have to dig through menus to control just the basic headphone level. All you need is like a $39 (or your local currency) Behringer Xenix 502 mixer or something similar and you are set.

I have a mixer built into my rack with the FOH and KPA going into it. I also play keys, so all 3 signals come into that mixer, then the mixer out goes to my (wireless) IEM transmitter. Since the KPA has both XLR and TRS outs, you can send the XLR to the PA and the TRS to your personal IEM mixer. You can easily control the individual levels for yourself from there.

J

for whatever reason the volume issue seems to of resolved itself! Curious still as to why you don't think the Kemper is a suitable long term solution? Is there a certains(s) limitations that you know it has that make it unsuitable?

I think "ad1" just refers to "first point on the agenda" :)

If your AUX level is too low in relation to the guitar - turn down the rig volume instead :) This of course has to be done for each rig. I don't THINK there's a way to do this globally without also affecting the aux level.

ah man that really sucks! I have a whole set sorted with my band, god knows how many rigs!

anyone else know if there's a better way to bring my aux level up or my guitar level down to headphones only?

ad 1. parameter "Aux In >Headphones" in Output Section.
    ad 2. no, if you leave "Aux In >Monitor" at 0.

The picture doesn't show how you send you guitar signal to FOH. Hopefully you don't use a microphone in front of your guitar speaker cabinet. You should use MAIN OUTS via XLR to FOH. In this case you need to make sure, that also "Aux In >Main" is cranked down to 0. Otherwise you create feedback loop.

what does the ad1. ad.2 section mean? I don't get wheat you're telling me to do?

I managed to get this working just fine, but can't seem to turn the level of my guitar sent to headphones down?

I've cranked the aux to headphones as loud as I can get it, but the guitar is still far louder?

You should find them in the Envelope section of a midi clip (click the tiny circled E) rather than in the automation parameters list of a track. Select a CC number then automate it within the clip.

Or try my Kemper device for Max4Live (see thread here), which exposes the relevant CCs for automation right from the track view. I have to admit I haven't used it in a while as I now use a different workflow for automation, so I hope it still works. :)

(And of course, make sure your midi track outputs to the correct midi channel etc.)

I think the midi output is set correctly, I mean the Kemper responds to programme changes so I assume it must be?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I'll try and keep this nice & clear:

- I play guitar through a powered Kemper Rack & traditional Cab
    - we're running our own IEM set up through ableton
    - this produces a mix which includes the click, backing track & my live vocal
    - I intend to send this mix to my kemper and balance it with my guitar through the headphone out

Hello @Calebhurst, check my second post in this thread for an overview of PC and CC numbers. They're also in the manual!

If you aren't already using Performance Mode, I would advise you to do so for live use. It allows you to arrange profiles in groups of five with quicker switching between those five. Also, in Performance Mode, you can use CC#50-54 to switch between profiles within a performance rather than Program Changes.

I get PC Changes, I get what. #CC changes i need to use to change profiles within a performance, but I have no idea how to programme #CC changes on Ableton! is it literally just an envelope automation? doesn't seem to work for me, I have to use programme changes

I haven't done this in Ableton for a while, but as far as I remember, Program Changes are tied to individual clips. So, for each Program Change you should create a separate midi clip (either in Session mode or in Arrangement mode). In the clip view, in the Notes Box, there's a section marked "Pgm Change" that has a "Pgm n" value (where "n" is a number). Set "n" to the Program Change value you want, and this will be sent out every time the clip launches. I don't think you need to do anything with the "Bank" or "Sub" values.
    [Blocked Image: https://ableton.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/205077069/midi_prgch.png__289x210_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg]

For Control Changes, go to the clip view again and enable the Envelope Box (by clicking on the small "E" button in the bottom left). There, select "Midi Ctl" in the top drop down menu, and then the CC# you want to control in the bottom menu. You can then draw the values in the notes window.

Ah thanks man this is perfect! some knowledgeable cookies on this website.

I recently purchased a Kemper and of course i fell in love with it! I have used Midi program changed before (when i had my axe fx) and strongly enough i think my fluke i was able to do program changes on it. NOW, with the kemper i am just stumped.

very interested in this, didn't even know it was possible, we run ableton live and I play using a Kemper, curious to see if anyone has a guide on how to set this up