Posts by JSB

I've got a simple little tweed champ clone, that I want to get the most out of, in terms of capturing all of the sounds it can produce at the different volume settings.

I have both an sm57 and e906, that I'll be making volume-setting based, duplicate-profiles with. The champ has 12 volume settings, how many profiles should I take to get the most complete range of snapshots/profiles?

When using the Kemper DI to create a Direct Amp Profile, is it just as important to capture the many different volume settings too?

I do have a rolling chair, but this cable was bought and immediately stuck in a case, because it's longer than I need at home. I don't think I ran over this particular one :/.

One of the ends of this cable does seem loose, I tired to plug it in to a looper and it acted dead. I haven't tried this cable again after tightening the ends. I'll try it again.

I had this same problem for a long time too, a random artifact, crackle or pop. What finally fixed the problem for me, using Windows 7 x64, was theses two things:

Go into Power Options>Advanced Settings> and change the Processor Power Management, Minimum setting, from 5%, to 100%. This stops the CPU from trying to save power, at the cost of performance. This one made the most difference for me.

If that doesn't solve all of the noise, try disabling your network adapter temporarily. I have a shortcut on my desktop, to my LAN adapter, I right click and Disable it when working in the DAW. Sounds crazy, but this stopped the artifacts that seemed to happen on schedule, as if every 37 seconds or so, I'd get a crackle or pop, that I could nearly set my watch by. Disabling the LAN, while in the DAW, fixed this problem for me.

All this sounds like a huge hassle, and it was, but when I finally got that glassy clean artifact-free DAW, it was worth it.

Update: The problem turned out to be my barely used 20', 1/4" guitar cable. The Output/Sound from the KPA, was playing through the Champ, with this guitar cable, it was definitely working, and still works fine with instruments. Not sure why the KPA hates that cable, but duly noted.

With a shorter guitar cable, I was able to profile the Champ, on a setting less than three, so yes, the KPA can profile very quiet amps.

Let the fun begin! Thanks guys.

@nightlight, yes I can play through the KPA, to the Champ, I definitely have audio. When I start the profiling sequence, I hear the process go for about 10 seconds maybe, then it throws up that error and stops the audio, every time. I've tried turning the Return Volume up to 0.0, same error.

The recommended test is to hook a guitar cable straight from the send, to the return, with nothing in between, then try to profile. I can do this, that works.

Later today I'm going to try a Cloud Lifter I have here, to see what that'll do.

Thanks for the replies.

This is the first time I've tried to profile anything in nearly three years of owning my KPA. I keep getting this error, whether it's a Direct Amp profile, or Studio one:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/LaQunZ6.jpg]

I'm using a newly built 57 Tweed Champ clone. I have the cabling setup correctly, a 1/4" cable from KPA Direct Output/send, and an XLR to the Return Input:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/qb7oRUb.jpg]

I've tried both an sm57 and a e906:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/gQSFVgx.jpg]

I even tried the Kemper DI, same error:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/qGHAhfK.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/GGp63Vm.jpg]

Is the problem that my volume is just too low? I can't profile a 5W amp on 3, because it's too quiet?

EDIT: I did run a standard guitar cable 1/4", from KPA Send, to KPA Return, the profiling did complete successfully in this configuration.

I too was wondering what the draw was with the strobe tuner, I could never figure it out for some reason (there was also a firmware flaw a while ago). It wasn't until I tried the Peterson, that was 100% accurate, that I understood how it worked.

If the grid is spinning to the left, you are flat, if the grid spins to the right, you are sharp. The ideal, or in tune visualization, is when the grid is stopped, not moving right or left. This makes it easier to see, from any distance, once you realize how simple it really is. New strings really make it hold tight.

I'd used a bubble tuner for 20+ years, I'm glad to say I won't be going back to it. It made me have a tendency to tune sharp and second guess myself. Loving the rock solid feel of the strobe now.

To get the new Spring Reverb preview, you'll want the new beta firmware.

When you download the latest Rig Manager, make sure in the settings, that beta options are checked, so that beta version of FW and Rig Manager, will be offered to you also.

- 3) I have a Ditto loop pedal. If I connected this via the FX loop - is that all I have to do, or do I need to set anything up in the menus?

- 4) Lastly, and I realise this isn't in the same vein at my other questions, but what headphones do you use with your Kemper?

Thanks all!^^

Is your name a reference to The Office? Both of those series were great.

For the looper, you can use it inline in your input to the KPA, or use the KPA effects loop - for the most true by-pass. If your looper is noisy. it would sound better in the KPA effects loop, as you can shut it off totally with the/a Remote, if you have one. For ease of use, inline in the input.

To use the KPA effects loop, choose a stomp slot A-D, select LOOP mono or stereo, clean or distorted, then use the effects i/o in the back of the KPA.

I use Beyerdynamics DT 770 80 ohms. The lower ohm rating is to match my interface. If you already have an Audio Interface, check to see what the ohm rating is on the headphone output. If you are buying headphones just for the KPA, the higher ohm rated ones should sound better.

I hadn't tried the built-in strobe tuner in the KPA in a long time, it used to seem to never come to a rest, so I've been using the bubble tuner these last few years.

I decided to test the KPA strobe against the most well known name in strobe tuning, Peterson (StroboPlusHD).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you can't watch the video for some reason, the KPA strobe is every bit as accurate as the Peterson. Well done Team Kemper!

I'm running Win 7 x64, with all of the current updates, running the most current RM and the Spring Reverb beta FW - turning the KPA on or off, with RM connected, has never caused me an issue.

If you're running the latest RM, beta or not, you shouldn't be having a driver/memory issue (unhandled exception).

Try uninstalling RM, then go into Device Manager and uninstall the KPA driver. Then reinstall the latest RM, it comes with an updated Windows driver.

I'm still waiting on my 5F1 kit, nearly a month and a half later. I ordered the optional lacquered cabinet, exactly like the original Tweed Champ, and it's taking forever for this reason.

I don't think anyone here was losing any sleep over this, but I thought I'd remind those that might want a 5F1 profile, it's definitely going to happen, but it may be the middle of December now ;(.

I have a sm57 and a e906, ready and waiting.

EDIT: Just got a call from Mojotone, my 5F1 kit will be shipped tomorrow, or Monday! The profiles I'll make will be free, so I won't post in Ibot39's excellent thread, I'll make a new one in free rigs, soon.