Posts by ElDoca

Confused? If the Kemper Kone is meant to impart imprints of real speaker types, which then go into an FRFR cab, or more specifically this new Kemper 1x12 FRFR, doesn't the old fashioned method of picking a different cab sim within the profile already accomplish this? Will be cool to hear the run down of what Kemper Kone actually is. Now, perhaps it accomplishes some sort of amp in the room thing?

Celestion has a new 12" flat response speaker, perhaps that is what's inside the new Kemper cab. As someone that can't give up my real cabs, I'm intrigued.

Make a studio profile, turn off cab, test. Adjust, reprofile, test. Adjust, reprofile test.

Even better, mic and record your amp to your liking and use that as your control. Don't touch the mic, profile, record second track through speaker and mic and compare. Adjust, reprofile and test until you get it identical. Tedious, but worth the effort

I realize, in your mind it may not seem as "pure" as getting a direct profile, but it doesn't matter how you get there...as long as you get there

=O Holy crap! Does that speaker come stock in any cab or do you have to install it yourself?

The EVM12L is one of my favorite speakers, can't think of any company that is using them currently. I had them in my M/B 4x12 halfback and currently have one in my Dumble clone. They're basically PA speakers, very flat compared to most guitar speakers. They're best suited with high-end amps that get most of their tone within the amp itself and not relying on a speaker to further color it. They're also really good in ported speaker cabinets ito better accentuate the low end. Some Kemper profiles would be great through them, others not so much...probably not one I would recommend for the Kemper.

A little out of your price range brand new, but you can look for a used Port City OS 1x12. They sound a lot bigger than their footprint and I would say a G12-65 would work well for your needs. I scoffed at them until I actually tried one, ran right out and got a 2x12 and sold my 4x12 soon after. If you're worried about the Kemper's power output, get a 16ohm.

There needs to be different terminology for those products that are trying to get that amp in the room sound. Because, if your speaker enclosure is coloring the sound to mimic the feel of a real cab, it's not FRFR

How does it sound when you make a studio profile and turn off the cab section or run monitor cab off? It won't be exact but you can adjust, reprofile and test until you hit the sound you're looking for.

There's really nothing you can do with a SM that you can't do with an EQ. If you like those scooped tones, it just can make it easier to find that tone you're looking for. Some guitarists are EQ phobic so it's better if you want to keep things simple. Some will say your guitar will get lost in the mix, but that's just when they are used them to the extreme, tons of albums were recording with maximizers and exciters with no issues. I still have a rack unit somewhere around here for when my ADA was my main amp, it was a lot easier to fine tune with the SM than fiddling with the buttons on the MP-1. If someone comes by with a mediocre amp with limited functionality, the SM takes it up a level. But, for high dollar amps, I just don't think it's really needed.

Post an example. Perhaps use a stock profile and include the DI track and we can compare to see if there is a problem with your unit. But, to be honest, if you've been having these issues for 10 years, there's probably something wrong with your technique, ears or expectations.

If you are a life-long guitarist, chances are you're trying to capture that impossible "cranked amp the the room" tone that players spend hours trying to get and driving studio engineers crazy. We all can fall into that trap, my perfect guitar tone is tons of distortion, scooped EQ, and lots of delay and reverb to hide my crappy playing. But, when you mix that ideal guitar tone that into a song, it sounds like garbage.

Try this, don't mess with the profiles you've purchased. Use them exactly as you bought them and reamp them one by one and see what you get. When you find the profile that comes closest to want you want, THEN start shaping it to your liking

Profilers will sometimes offer a DI pack of every amp they have for a good price. Try out their free packs then go with the profiler you like best. For cab IRs, my favorite pack is OwnHammer's 212-GTR MAR-66 Multi-Speaker collection. This will give you a taste of almost every speaker available. Before you buy, there are many free IR packs available online. Just search "free cab ir" and you'll find a bunch, you may find something you like

Commercial DI profiles + commercial IRs are pretty much all I ever use now. Studio profiles provide the best representation of a real amp. But, I have to disagree that merged profiles are better than DI+IR. Merged profiles still rely on the KPA to accurately distinguish the amp from the cab when being created. They are able to do this remarkably well, however, it's not 100% accurate. I like the flexibility that commercial IRs have with mic and placement combinations that KPA commercial profilers don't provide. And, let's face it, commercial KPA profilers tend to use the same mic and cab over and over with every amp they offer which tends to make them all sound similar. Mic placement is an artform in of itself and a few profilers have that magic touch but many many IR providers do. My only issue with commercial IRs is that some of them are pretty hot. I usually run it through a DAW and bring down the levels to something that works best with the KPA. You can also be overwhelmed by the number of IR options and need to be willing to spend a lot of time with it. But, in the end, go with your ears...if it sounds good, it doesn't matter how you got there

Awesome!! thanks for that info! where did you find that info?

It's not a secret, I found it on the forums here. I actually ended up going with the cheaper and less powerful 125asx2 version. I mostly play through a 2x12 so I didn't need much more than the 250w @ 8ohms mine produces. Another good thing about the 125asx2, I can safely go to 450w @ 4ohms without any fans or active cooling. Stereo is also an option with any of the ICEpower modules

The powered KPA uses the ICEpower 250asx2 amp module. This amp is readily available in many consumer guitar and bass amps. You simply run your Kemper output into the effects return to bypass the preamp for a clean, unaltered signal. You can also build your own like I did. Plenty of info on how to do it on the web.

If you're on a budget, DXR10. If not, Atomic CLR. If you want that real "amp in the room" sound, just use a real guitar cabinet. I go back and forth between a CLR and a standard 2x12 depending on my mood. I found the cab-like FRFRs were just a compromise that neither sounded like a real cabinet, nor did it sound like what I got when I dialed in my profiles through my studio monitors. With the CLR, I don't have to touch a single knob when going from studio monitors to CLR. When I want that thump in the chest feeling, I use a real cab...no compromises