Posts by ElDoca

My first Kemper sounded similar, turned out to be a bad DSP board. My volume would drop out though, wasn't consistent like your sample. As with all digital gear, double check your inputs and outputs...backup - restore factory defaults...still sounds bad, time to contact the manufacturer

I was the last person I knew to still lug around a 4x12. I recently sold my beloved Mesa Boogie Halfback that I used for almost 30 years and bought a Port City 2x12. Doesn't have nearly the same power handling capability, but it sounds bigger than it is and I'm very happy. I go back and forth between that and my Atomic CLR depending on my mood or venue. If you can afford it, buy both. The speaker (cab, frfr, headphones or pa) is the most important part of the signal chain...why limit yourself? You've got more than one guitar, right?

I wonder if it's a passive eq, or does it actually listen to the input and change the tone accordingly?

Edit, the latter apparently.

Would be very easy to tell, just change guitars and see if the tone changes or if it's always the same no matter what you play through it. I had no problem selling my amps when I bought my Kemper, not sure if I could sell all my guitars that easily!

Is this going to be another one of those threads where the OP says the Kemper sounds terrible but refuses to upload any video or sound samples? Quite possibly you have a hardware issue or maybe it had been previously returned and has been messed with. Restore to factory settings then upload a video. If there is an issue, I'm willing to bet the good people here will know exactly what's wrong within 10 seconds of hearing it.

There's a surf guitar profile in one of the legacy packs. It has a reverb/delay combo that can get you close to that spring reverb sound. Use the profile as is or copy and paste the two effects into another amp profile.

Ohm's law doesn't discriminate-watts are watts are watts. For a truly honest and objective comparison, you would need to measure the input voltage driving the various amplifiers as well as the output voltage and current when driven with the same input signal. You would also need to measure the harmonic distortion of each device.
    The results would surprise most people, especially those who endorse the "tube watts are louder than SS watts" thing.

Most of us don't have the opportunity to go around with measuring tools to test out every amp in the world so we have to rely on advertised specs. A tube amp advertised as 100w is going to be louder than a SS amp advertised as 100w. You can argue "watts is watts" all you want, but all that matters is what's going to blow up my speakers and what is safe? Even cabinet manufacturers specify a difference between tube watts and SS wats when rating their cabinets.

For the same price as the top of the line Camplifier, you can probably find a used GK MB800 which has the exact same amp inside as the Kemper Powerhead/rack. But, it has an internal fan which allows it to run safely to 4ohms @ 800w. Plug into the effects return to bypass the preamp.

My brother wrote, recorded and toured with Carlos (flagrant name drop), but I think he was using a Two Rock during the Supernatural era. I always prefered his mid-late 70s sound though. Anyways, he's one of those guys that can nail his signature tone using any guitar/amp combo.

Whenever I read these "not loud enough" posts, I gotta think that there is either a hardware problem or the profiles that are being used are very very scooped in the mids and just aren't cutting through.

You could always get 4 EVM12Ls or the Eminence equivalent, they're not going to add any vintage grit but it'll take way more than a Kemper to blow them

British Black would me like a Marshall, Black Matrix more like a Mesa/Boogie. Go over the the mojotone site and they have a basic cab configuration tool where you can select various tolex, piping and cloth combos to get a feel for what it can look like.

I bought the Mission Gemini and had a couple issues. #1 input didn't work and I got a super loud pop when turning on/off. Mission never responded to my requests so I returned it to the store and they confirmed my problems. Honestly, when it was working, the Gemini sounded anemic at lower volumes but really good as the volume went up. The Atomic sounds exactly the same from whisper quiet to all out. I don't know why these companies have such a problem with customer support though.

As far as I understand the thread, it's about a poweramp that is in the empty space at the back of the Kemper, like the camplifier.There is a large amount of amplifiers for rack mounting.

That's not what the title of the thread is nor is the original post. If we want to be strict about forum etiquette, I suggest making a new post regarding adding an amp INSIDE because the original poster wanted an amp they could use with the Kemper, Fractal or Helix

There are many Class D bass amps that use the same amp module as the powered Kemper. All you need to do is bypass the pre-amp stage by running your Kemper output through the amp's effects return and you have the same as a Powerhead. Just search "Icepower 250ASX2 bass guitar amp". It's actually 500w @ 8 ohms, not sure if Kemper does something to add an extra 100w or if they are just advertising peak power. You will also get the benefit at running 800w @ 4ohms which the Kemper can't do with absolute safety because it doesn't have active cooling. The GK MB800 might work, I think it has a rack mount option

You can also save big bucks by making your own if you have wiring skills. I just made one with a less powerful version of the same amp (Icepower 125ASX2) for $120. I found a good deal on eBay and disassembled a home theater amp to do it. I'm getting 250w @ 8ohms and 450w @ 4ohms, it's perfect for my 2x12 Rectifier cab. Having the powered version of the Kemper is certainly a simpler and more convenient setup, but I have other gear I like to power so having it separate is a must.

For those of you changing cabs, how do you deal with the fact that the Kemper doesn't know where to delineate the amp from the cab in a studio profile?

You're right, there's no way the Kemper can distinguish the two perfectly, but it does do a surprisingly good job of it. But, I only buy direct profiles when I can, then add IRs. My problem with most commercial sellers is while they offer a vast array of different amps, they tend to use the same cabs over and over. For example, I paid good money for a set of authentic Dumble profiles from a well-respected seller. Problem is, every cab used was the same M/B, Marshall and other V30 variation cabs. Don't get me wrong, the tones were great and very usable, but they weren't authentic. A traditional, open back with an EVM12L would have been preferable. Matching the manufacturer's amp and cab is a lot more interesting to me.

Everyone is screaming for an editor, all I want is a cab control within Rig Manager