Posts by piotrmaj

MIDI and audio via USB would be great addition as well in 2022. I managed to convert my studio to just USB (including Access Virus) and KPA is the only unit I have which still uses DIN-5 and forces me to have additional interface. I wish it was possible to reamp via usb. I guess it would be possible to add this to KPA1 (midi part should be trivial).

I don't think you can enter sysex directly in Logic. You'd have to "record" it first on a midi track and then copy and paste. But I personally would stick to regular CC, something you can edit in Logic.

Pro tip: you can copy and paste all four Midi CC events in Events table and while new events are still selected you can edit position of all four messages at once. This makes entering NRPNs less annoying.

Pro tip #2: if you want to do a ramp (gradually change value of given parameter) it should be enought to just repeat CC#38 with new value. You can record such events as automation in Logic.

NRPN is just 4 CC send in quick succession. They have to have specific numbers:

1. First is CC#99 - aka NRPN-MSB
      Value corresponds to address page from KPA's MIDI manual
    2. Second is CC#98 - aka NRPN-LSB
      Value corresponds to parameter number from KPA's MIDI manual
    3. Third is CC#6 - aka Data MSB
    4. Forth is CC#38 aka Data LSB

Data MSB and LSB together form a value for parameter addressed by page and parameter number.

For On/Off parameters CC#6 should be 0 and CC#38 should be respectively 0 and 1.

For parameters which have continuous values (like volume, morph) you can specify any value for CC#6 and CC#38.

You can think of value provided with CC#38 as ones place of a two digit number and value provided with CC#6 as tens place of two digit number.

For example in Logic this should turn amp on:

Remember to space out MIDI messages by more than one tick - don't sent them all at once (look at position in the screenshot) - too many MIDI messages sent too fast == KPA crash.

I have older version of Babyface Pro and was using it via XLRs - RME's preamps are crystal clear - you won't notice _any_ meaningful difference between XLRs and SPDIF. I don't recommend using coax to optical converters. Those are powered devices - you'll end up with 4 cables for data in total, two converters and two additional wall warts. Analog connection is simpler and your desk will be free of clutter - just two cables and that's it.

Don't force it. Try something else - maybe a real amp you always wanted to have. Spending months on tweaking the tone seems like waste of time, especially when it is source of frustration and kills your creativity. Don't know how old you are but our perception of things and hearing sensitivity changes over time as well and it is quite normal. Hope you'll find your tone eventually.

Code
    1. MIDI.sendControlChange(99, 125, 1); 
    2. MIDI.sendControlChange(98, 89, 1);
    3. MIDI.sendControlChange(6, 0, 1);
    4. MIDI.sendControlChange(38, 1, 1);

Last parameter is channel - it doesn't change.

I'm not really good at debugging via forum, but at first glance you're using INPUT_PULLUP, which I think makes your button normally HIGH and LOW when pressed. Your code appears to assume your button is normally LOW. Check your output using serial monitor or oscilloscope to make sure that correct values are sent.

I was out of town for a few days - checked today and this sequence of CC works for me (I'm sending them from Logic to KPA). You might have a bug somewhere else in your code.

If you replace line 13 with something like:

MIDI.sendControlChange(99, X, 1); // this will set MBS of parameter (on Kemper it is address page)

MIDI.sendControlChange(98, Y, 1); // this will set LBS of parameter (on Kemper it is address number)

MIDI.sendControlChange(6, V1, 1); // this will set MBS of parameter value (first 7 bits of 14-bit value)

MIDI.sendControlChange(32, V2, 1); // this will set LBS of parameter value (last 7 bits of 14-bit value)

This will effectively be an NRPN message.

You have to look up X and Z in Kemper's MIDI manual (look at Downloads section) and also read in manual how V1 and V2 values are interpreted by KPA.

Instead of sending one MIDI.sendControlChange you'll have to send 4 CC messages, one after another. Each of those 4 messages will contain a quarter of information needed to form NRPN message. Paste some code - will be easier to help.

NRPN is nothing else but 4 MIDI CC messages in a row. Two first CC choose parameter, two latter value. Two messages are used to jump from 7-bit values to 14-bit values. In both cases first message sends most significant bits, second message sends least significant bits. When you already built your own MIDI controller which can send MIDI CC all you need to do now is to send 4 MIDI CC messages on a single key-press with correct values. Values for CC and parameters are described in document: "PROFILER MIDI Parameter Documentation", which can be fetched from Downloads page, User Manual section. Good luck!

Nice, congrats! Reminds me of me buying KPA 5 years ago. :-) Also couldn't stop playing for hours! The good thing is that even after 5 years I still enjoy it like on the first day. Gear for life! Have fun, WillemNL!

Tutaj to juz raczej niczyja opinia Ci nie pomoze. Musisz sprawdzic samemu - mi nie podpasował - chyba za dużo lat gralem na minitorach studyjnych i Kabinet brzmi mi obco - fajnie na czystych, ale na przesterowanych brzmieniach do absolutnej d.... Uzywam go teraz jako wzmak do klawiszy i jestem zadowolony.

Stage boots 3x faster than Toaster / Rack. Would be great to have instantaneous boot, but KPA is pretty stable - it just doesn't reboot itself. The only situation when that happened to me is when too much MIDI information is sent to it (for example: when you scrub a project in DAW and have MIDI Chase enabled). Otherwise solid as a rock - you have much bigger chances to experience full stage power loss than KPA going bad in its own. Power glitch which affects just one devices on stage is very unlikely (typically on stage there is a metric ton of gear connected to the same circuit), unless you kick the plug or KPA unit itself - don't do that :-)

Latest RM (I'm on beta channel, don't know if it is released as stable already) solved issue with performance management being unrelible - it now works as advertised. I'm always switching to perf mode when managing performances because I typically want to try them out immediately, switch between slots to level volume, etc. Don't know of it is necessary to be in Perf mode to avoid issues but sure it is more practical.