Posts by piotrmaj

I used to have a guitar - Ibanez JS100. Although it was beautiful I never really liked it because it was impossible to set it up the way I wanted. Last year I took it to a luthier workshop in Warsaw and they managed to identify shimming issue and fixed it and now JS100 plays well. This luthier workshop was small (just two dudes sitting in a dungeon) but I noticed 3 unfamiliar guitars hanging on the wall and asked about them. They told me that they make their own guitars in their spare time and let me try them out. One of them just felt amazing - their interpretation of Telecaster - I’m not going to lie - love from first sight&feel :-). So I ordered one last August and it arrived recently. It is called GHOST and looks like this:

swamp ash body, maple neck (satin), I don't know what wood is on top (flame maple maybe?) but I love it!, pickups are their own and have J90's vibe.

They are supposed to be "dynamic IRs" in which response changes according to playing dynamics.

This Amp X seems to be the most interesting product developed recently.

No tak, to przeskoczyłeś kilka generacji, i masz szczęście, bo pierwsze cyfrowe efekty były bardzo cinkie :-) , ale dobra wiadomość jest taka, że Kemper, jeśli Ci podpasuje jego filozofia, może być ostatnim sprzętem, który musisz opanować - ja mam swojego od 2016 roku i nawet nie myślę, o niczym nowszym - brzmi nieziemsko za każdym razem i sprawdza się bardzo dobrze w warunkach koncertowych. Pozdrawiam i miłego grania!

Musisz przejść do Performance Modę używając "Chicken Knob", wybrać performance (używając strzałek góra dół). Każdy performance ma miejsce na 5 presetów. Jak masz nowy sprzęt to jest duża szansa, że zobaczysz slot o nazwie "Crunch". w tym momencie możesz użyć pokrętła "Browse" i wybrać swój ulubiony Rig. Potem strzałka w prawo, co sprawi, że przejdziesz to kolejnego slotu, pokrętło Browse, itp. itd.

Na końcu "Store", nadaj sensowną nazwę, Store jeszcze raz i powinno być git.

Pamiętaj, że Rigi są _kopiowane_ to Performance mode. Oznacza to, że późniejsze zmiany w Browse mode nie mają zastosowania w Performance mode. Możesz swobodnie edytować Rigi w Performance mode (pamiętaj, żeby zapamiętywać zmiany!!!) - nie wpływa to na kopię Rigu znajdująca się w Browse mode.

Kemper ma bardzo specyficzny workflow (nie każdy go lubi) i jeśli chcesz naprawdę wykorzystać go w 100% i nie być sfrustrowanym to będziesz musiał poświecić trochę czasu na przestudiowanie instrukcji obsługi. Ale jak już zatrybisz jak wszystko działa to jest to bardzo przyjemne, niezawodne, fantastycznie brzmiące urządzenie.

The wood of the guitar can make a difference...

Please.... watch Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In An Electric Guitar?. TLDR: wood has infinitesimal influence on tone in electric guitar.

I have similar problem with my active guitar - it requires additional EQ and tweaks to Presence, to "unmud" it and still the dynamics of playing is not comparable with passive pickups. I don't think it is possible to get "passive-like behavior" from an active pickup. Different beast.

Also please check chapter in manual about "Effect Switches", page 340 in 8.5 Manual. For many CCs you have to send not only CC with non-zero value, but also a follow up CC with value 0. This is to simulate physical button press/release, which are required for press-and-hold function to operate properly. It is quite possible that you are not sending "button release" event and KPA is getting stuck in "hold" state.

I use one performance per song approach and I must admit that I love Layout C. Used it on Sunday (yes, I gigged with Beta release) and it definitely did the trick for me. Kemper: shouldn't be too hard to add Layout D for people from this thread - it really makes a big difference to have the most important info in large fonts on stage.

Playing a synth does not require any skill. The synth is doing most of the work. The sampler, wave table, arpeggiator, LFO, VCO, etc are making the sounds, not your fingers

I think your view on synth-heavy music is very narrow. Buying a synth doesn't automatically make you Jordan Rudess, and having nice sounds doesn't automatically translate into great music. I also don't know if you ever tried to make rich, layered, expressive sound on a synth that would not be tiring to ears after 20 seconds? It is hard, but believe me that you can make synth patches as expressive as guitar parts, if not more expressive. Anyway, I don't really see a problem with an instrument being more approachable, so more people can be creative with it, express themselves and have fun.

And if you think people are not willing to come and see a guy pressing button on a keyboard you should check live performances of, for example, Perturbator. :-)

Virus has 3 - 4 times more buttons than KPA, many of them have multiple functions and some menu diving is still necessary. In order for synth to be fun and easy to program KPA UI would have to become a monster. Synths are complex and programming synth patches using 4 soft buttons... no, thank you. I'd rather prefer KPA to remain simple and maybe just emit expressive MIDI via MIDI OUT / USB. This way everyone could connnect their own favorite synth.

Virus2 synth 24 years ago and it still is awesome (although some people moan due to lack of updates)

People are moaning not because there are no updates but because they lost advertised functionality on macOS. It used to be possible to use Virus like VST in your DAW (I think it is called total integration) - this is no longer the case since 2 years (we're left with... non-total integration). You have to route audio via audio interfaces instead of just USB. Virus' UI is non-resizable and is absolutely unusable on modern, high resolution displays (fonts are just too small). Probably very few people are buying new Viruses anymore, despite it being a great synth (I have one and it is really a beast)... There are other companies which make modern versions of virtual analog synths, like Modal Electronics, with way better computer integration and features. This is for me an example that if a product is not evolving it becomes obsolete - yes, you'll still find it in studios for many years to come but the user base will not grow because competition offers much better solutions, more aligned with modern times.

But this is different story, for another forum... :-)

Kemper brought to the market innovative product that lasts. If anybody wants the new shiny stuff, there is always ver. 3 of main competitor, which is the best of the best. Just look all these reviews on YouTube, these guys telling that it is so mych better than ver. 2 XL MKII (which was best of the best back then). It has big screen LCD screen and powerful processors. It is shiny, colorful and people want it. Until version 4. Then they will find ver. 3 legacy and will be selling it to get ver. 4 - I always wondered if not better to wait for ver. 5 though.

I think, Skoczy, you're still missing the point of the discussion. We don't want KPA2 because we are bored with KPA1, or because we don't like the tone, but many of us would welcome some improvements because they would improve our workflow. I assure you that I'm using KPA in 100% different way than you (and you're not even using it anymore - you admit it quite often). If KPA2 had features requested in this thread many of us could either get rid of some additional equipment or could achieve things which aren't possible with current hardware because of DSP/CPU/memory constraints. Whether you use any of advanced features or not - the fact is many features present in competition's products are darn useful, maybe not for you - and you don't have to use them. This doesn't immediately mean that everyone who would like to have them in KPA2 has uncontrolled GAS or should switch to different product. I explained it a few posts earlier - what we are doing here is we are participating in product evolution process and even Kemper as a company still wants to improve this product - that's why this section of forum exists in the first place. I suggest we stay on topic and refrain from judging one another how we should use KPA or any other gear.

This way everything can be tweaked after and individually

Isn't it what modelers do already? In AXE FX III or Helix you can tweak everything to death, at every stage. They even created models which don't exist in real life (FAS models) - you can call them virtual designs, and you can tweak them as well.

What would be benefit of very clunky (switching cables) and time consuming process over just grabbing AXE or Helix for such surgical operations? The whole beauty of Kemper and Quad is that they offer end to end solution with minimal user involvement. I'm not trying to turn this idea down - just want to understand what would be the benefit? Would the idea be to create "virtual" amps, which don't exist in real life by picking and choosing individual gain stages from different profiling sessions? Or would the idea be to increase amount of knobs in AMP/CAB section?