Posts by Indianageo

It's fair to say that lots of people , even guitar players have not seen or heard a Kemper, and when they come to my studio and see my White toaster they invariably say WTF is that !....it's so cool !

Ha! Yes, that's kind of what I'm hoping for! I do think the toaster looks so incredibly cool...like it comes from from some alien civilization or something. Interesting how the engineers decided on that design. Or maybe the design evolved that way out of some functional/ergonomic necessity. In any case, I think it's super cool. Thanks for your comment.

IG

V8,
    Thanks for your thorough replied on each of my questions! Funny for me, there's something about the white that I like (?).. it looks a bit "retro futuristic" as I've heard it termed by someone else. When I first saw it in white, I thought, "Hmm, that looks interesting..Like something from a Flash Gordon movie from the 30's maybe." Anyway, I agree the black looks more "rock and roll". Giving this some thought. Again, thanks for your response. Very helpful. I'm glad to hear the unit is quite tweak-able.

Cheers,
    IG

Hi Everyone,
    A recent joiner here looking to get a few questions answered before making the leap into this wonderful profiler. Please understand I'm a newb to most equipment so forgive me if these questions or my comments sound fundamental to the more experienced folk here.

My understanding of the Kemper is that the unit effectively "diagnoses" (for lack of a better term) real amps throughout history and around the world, mic'd up in a particular way, and takes a digital snapshot based off that process such that the unit can reproduce the given sound for the user. I also understand that Kemper's approach is quite different than the approach used by the Fractal, Line 6, and other firms in the space where the latter try to create digital amps from scratch, effectively.

From virtually every source I've researched (and one from an in-person conversation I had recently with a rather well-known Youtube reviewer), the tone produced by Kemper is recommended as the most "organic", "authentic", "like the real thing", etc. This also seems to be confirmed to my ears through the many YouTube videos I've seen comparing the various products. I like this aspect as I don't prefer a very processed sound.

Now, I've got a few questions in terms of which unit to purchase and some of my thinking around it.

1) First, I live in a flat and thus space is somewhat limited. Is there any advantage to the rack mounted version over the toaster version? Seems to me that perhaps the toaster version would be more suitable due to a smaller footprint? Is this the choice of most apartment dwellers?

2) As to colour, do most prefer the black version to the white? Is one easier to read in low light relative to the other?

3) As to the powered vs unpowered version, is it true that there are good solutions (like, for example, the Camplifier amp module) that can be added on later if necessary? I watched a video on the Camplifier site and they say 600W is a bit overkill and money can be saved with a third party option along with other benefits.

4) What "tweaking" can be done with the profiles? Is there sufficient flexibility to go a bit outside the given profiles (whether stock in the unit or purchased 3rd party) to get solid unique tones? For example, I might like The Edge's sound on a particular song, but I don't necessarily want to BE The Edge on one of my own songs if you know what I mean.

5) How many guitars can be run through the unit at a given time? One? any more than one? If so, how?

6) For studio work, how is the unit configured to work with MacBook Pro and DAW? What do some of you use to record? and for live work, what type of setup is needed...Just a mixer and an FRFR? Again, I have no experience performing live but want to perform in the near future.

Again, apologies for these newb questions. I don't know anyone personally that has this unit so I can't really experience it first hand. I have been in a couple of stores that sell the unit, but I don't like the pressured environment of a store to consider all the possibilities and the purchase. I'm pretty set on Kemper, but I just need to understand a bit more about it. Thank you all.

IG

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for having me. I'm a Chicago transplant living in the UK (London for 10 years now). I'm nearly there on purchasing a Kemper unit after doing oodles of research. But, I still have some questions which I hope to have answered in the forum. Although I've been playing guitar for decades, I've not invested much in amps and equipment over the years except for some home studio stuff (MacBook, a Neumann mic, and a Focusrite interface) . I do have a Fender amp back in the States, but due to space and other limitations I can't have it with me where I am at present. I have hopes of playing out in the near future as well as doing better quality studio work. This leads me to trying to create some kind of relatively portable set up and that's where the Kemper comes into the equation.

If at some point, I meet and develop a rapport with some members who live in the SW London area, I'd be delighted to meet up for a pint to discuss the Kemper and music/guitar generally, make new friends and that sort of thing.

Cheers everyone,
    IG