Posts by BobWalters

Overall I like the cab, but am not used to having that much bottom end. A low cut adjustment rather than a switch would have been a nice feature, however for the price and response I am happy.

I do finger pick heavy and need to determine the best way to rolloff the bass response a little on all the profiles.

This weekend while at a yard sale, I found a right angle IEC power connector that works great whenever the cab is now tilted back on either the left or right side. No floor interference. :)

MKB, Cool and Thanks. I had seen it before. Yes a simple design but effective. I too had designed circuits and their layouts for switchmode supplies, but haven't used Mentor Graphics in years. I think in their design they split the resistor values into more than one for either wattage dissipation or they may have wanted to keep the design with 1/4W resistors and maybe for using a pick and place machine? Cheers! 8)

I put mine in a 4U SKB short rack and set it on top of a proline foldable amp stand. It keeps the profiler controls at a good height for my old eyes, and the headrush cab fits nicely and tilted back under the rack.

It makes sense that the Kemper DI sounds great, much better than most direct boxes, and not only because it was designed by Kemper for the purpose.
    The simple resistive circuit used by Kemper minimizes any tonal change, it has to attenuate the speaker level signal to a level the Kemper can accept and this can be done passively with resistors.
    From pics of the inside of the box posted on the net, it appears that there are more resistors in it that does other tasks, but I'm not sure what is being done with them.

MKB, There are Zero resistors in the Kemper DI (A single black line on the resistor). Typically used as PC board jumpers, rather than creating a double sided board. I agree, a passive DI box greatly reduces any coloring that transformers or active circuits could add.

The Kemper DI box is a great design and well built specifically for profiling. 8)

Zappledan, dmatthews,

Last night as suggested I removed older versions of Rig Manager and was able to successfully load OS 5.7.8 onto my power rack using the usb stick.

Removing the older versions worked!    Rig Manager 2.1.74 successfully loaded.

Thanks for suggestions and support! 8)

I was previously running rig manager 1.3.5 on a windows Vista 32bit computer with an older OS (1.8.2?) that didn't require windows 7 or higher. I bought a new computer hoping I could stay current with any new updates to Rig manager or the OS, but didn't realize the new computer runs on a 64bit Windows 10. Now rig manager will not load, even after downloading the most current version, and trying to load the new OS onto the profiler using the stick method. This has messed up settings somehow and believe it's a windows incompatability issue. I sent a ticket into support and maybe they can help sort it out. I am a computer noob and it doesn't help the issue.

In addition to the other suggestions on this post, ask your neighbors if they are experiencing similar noise in their devices, if so then the issue is probably not in your house wiring, and may be a faulty power transformer or mains connection. Also moving your guitar to a quieter position has nothing to do with conducted noise, it's a radiated source issue such as fluorescent lights or insufficient shielding in the guitar.

You are missing a very important aspect. In normal operation there is huge amount of interaction between the output transformer of the tube amp... This means that the speaker itself has a big impact on the sound of the amp. This is why companies like Suhr or Two Notes produce rather complicated reactive load boxes... A simple load resistor like in your setup may work but in many cases it will sound totally different to the sound with a real cab attached. This is why profiling with the cab conncted will be the preferred method in most cases...

tylerhb, I understand your concern about the speaker as a reactive load, etc. However as MKB stated a simple resistive voltage divider across the speaker will attenuate the signal from the speaker w/o coloring or changing the tone of the output, IF the resistors are chosen wisely. The larger the value of resistors, then the less interaction the resistors have on the speaker impedance. It's not just about the ratio of the voltage divider resistors used to derive an acceptable DI voltage level but also the total impedance in parallel with the speaker. Imagine 2 10k Ohm resistors wired in series across the speaker. It's still 8 Ohms with a 0.039% variance. Increase the values to 27K and you're close to the Kemper DI box design. It also uses no transformers and is a voltage divider with capacitors.

Please note that I stated that the amp speaker was connected to the amp during profiling. Also the resistor values in the cable are clearly not for a transformer load, but for signal attenuation only. The cable is sampling the signal at the speaker terminals, and attenuating the signal to the proper level for the Kemper.

Since you're ripping the guts out of the Cry Baby anyway, just buy a broken one off ebay. I just bought one for around $20 or so, found a TRS jack, wired it to the stock 100k Dunlop pot that came with the pedal, and it works perfectly. $25 and about 10 minutes work, can't beat that.

And that is exactly what I did. Fixed the wah, tore out and sold the guts for more than the $10 I paid, then installed a spare 100k. Works great. I may have the kemper color matched then airbrush it over the black wrinkle finish.

jemdave 16, Excellent work! I love the tones and the mix of the layers. STAR is the tops. The fusion mixes well, and you are definitely a seasoned player. Hats off to you.