Posts by kevinduren

So to cut to the end, the Kemper Remote is not going to be able to be used 1:1 like your previous rig. So if that is a deal breaker, I can save you a lot of time. ;)

If you do want to get as close as possible:

OK, that will active or deactivate a given effect within the existing rig. How can I call up a different FX preset without changing rigs?

You will have to assign each group of effects to a different button on the Remote. Just to be clear, you can assign multiple effects to each Remote button and you can toggle them all on/off or you can toggle some off and some on.

For example,

1) The tuner can be controlled with the tuner button on the remote, you can set it to mute in the menu.

2) Slapback delay w/ a touch of reverb – assign the slapback delay to X and touch of reverb to MOD. Save them to be off initially. Assign them to Remote button I.

3) 3 dB boost – Not sure yet if you want this pre or post, but for a volume boost only, assign the Pure Booster to REV, save it to be off, and assign it to Remote button II. For a gain boost, assign it to ABCorD.

4) Etc. Etc.

And any of these can be controlled by Morph. For instance, you can set the Pure Boost to be on with a volume of 0 and then Morph to your desired volume.

In your above scenario, you would have to have the following effects saved in ABCD and/or X, MOD, DLY, REV:

Slapback Delay

Touch of Reverb

3dB Boost

Mid-boosted EQ

Reverb

Prominent Delay

Reverb

Compressor

Upper Mid Boosted EQ

Compressor

Phaser

Subtle Chorus

Not-so-subtle chorus

Light Delay

Light Reverb

2dB Boost

Heavy Mid Boost

Delay

As you can see, there are 8 places to assign effects in each rig. Assuming you need each of those reverbs, delays, EQs to be different, then you would need 18 places to store them. That would be a minimum of 3 rigs to accommodate your effects. There are 5 rigs per performance.

So again, if that is a deal breaker, we can stop now.

Respectfully, I can tell that you don't want to read the manual and spend time figuring all of this out, and that is perfectly cool: you just want to get to work! It might be much more expedient to let me know very specifically where you want the effects (pre or post stack) and what buttons you want them assigned to on the Remote, and I can set up and send you a Performance that is a close as possible to what you want.

Using the Kemper, the effects and stomps are not independent of the amp/stack. A rig is a combination of the amp/stack and whatever specific effects and settings have been set up in that rig. You can turn the effects on and off in various combinations using the remote. You can Morph parameters with a button or an expression pedal.

And you cannot change the amp/stack in a rig: you have to switch to a different rig or slot. Although you can Morph the amp parameters in a rig.

So, we probably cannot get the Kemper to function exactly like your prior rig. But I am willing to work with you to get as close a possible.

Somebody once said "Life is just a bunch of workarounds.". :)

Let’s see how close we can get to what you want:

Will you be using more than one slot in the performance? If so, we will make use of the different slots in a performance. And that may be the only way this is possible.

Will you need any other effects at the same time as (1-6)? If you only need reverb in 2 and 6, we will work with that.

Which effects do you want pre-stack and which post-stack?

Remember that you will have 4 stomps available pre-stack (A, B, C, D)

And 4 effects available post stack (X, Mod, Dly, Rev)

And any of the effects or stomps can go in any of the slots

Once I know more specifically what you want, I can guide you and maybe even make a performance that you will only have to swap out the stack and effects to get what you want. (I would use a free profile for the stack, of course.) That may be more efficient that trying to type out every minute step.

I am going to assume that you can set the parameters of the chorus, delay, reverb, compressor, phaser, and eq since there will be considerable personal preference regarding those settings.

And also, while I am more than happy to guide you with this, (and actually looking forward to the challenge) don’t forget that you can always refer to the manual and video tutorials. The explanations in the manual may make more sense to you or at least reinforce what I am going to communicate. You can keyword search the manual.

So what I am trying to achieve is what I would call a transparent overdrive: I want the drive to add distortion, but not change the overall tone of the profile. So far, I have only been able to get this with the Pure Booster. But, to get any significant breakup, the volume on the Pure Booster has to be so high that it causes a large jump in volume when engaged.

So I have been trying to get this with the new drives and the best I have come up with are these:

Full OC:

HP/LP: LP

Drive 5

Tone 5.0 - 6.0

Mix 60% and up

Volume +4.0 ( and down as the Mix goes up)

Kemper Drive:

Drive 7.6

Tone 5.4 - 6.0

Definition 0.0

Slim Down 0.0

Mix 78%

Volume -0.6

This is pretty close, but similar to the ODR-1, there is an increase in bottom that I can't get rid of.

Any feed back on those would be welcome as would any settings or tricks you have come up with.

Thanks,

Kevin

Brief answer is yes, you can assign multiple effects/stomps to any one of the controller buttons. You can also assign effects and stomps to the tuner, tap, and looper buttons.

And there is Morphing.

So thats a possible 12 or so different "scenes" per performance slot times 5 slots....

The quick answer is no, you are limited to 4 post stack effects.

You can assign several effects to each button on the remote. You can make one button turn all of the assigned effects on or off. You can also make the button turn some effects off while turning others on.

You can assign other effects to the delay and/or reverb slots. Delay and reverb can be assigned to the Pre-stack slots.

Possible workarounds:

Use the global Space for reverb. This will only yield a short, small reverb, but will free up one effect slot.

Forego the Studio EQ and use some combination of the amp controls such as Definition and Clarity, the Amp EQ, and the Output EQ.

Unless you need all four effects at the same time, duplicate the rig and assign the effects you need to use simultaneously to each of the rigs.

Thought of another real-world use case/need for a second morph. The current volume pedal settings only allow for 0 to halfway up or halfway up to full volume. Currently, to have any more range than that (such as off and then swell to full volume), I have to use the Morph function. And that uses all of the power of the Morph just to do a volume swell and nothing else can be Morphed in that rig.