Posts by TeleMan

Hey, TeleMan.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I haven't seen or heard the Quad Cortex, so no comments from me about it, but I sure appreciate your observations, insights, and perspective.

Cheers!

No problem! I hope this helps anyone who has the “grass is greener” thoughts, and i will try to update the thread as i learn more about the unit and how i feel it compares to the Kemper

I have been a Kemper owner since August 2017, primarily playing live as I work as a professional musician in Canada. The Kemper has not once let me down in terms of reliability, and with the exception of one sound guy who didn't know how to EQ his FOH (he left me a note saying "change tone on Kemper...sounds thin" which I thought was hilarious) I have always gotten compliments on the sound of the unit no matter where/who I play with.

To preface this discussion, I play primarily country music, and my scope of use is limited to this genre for the most part, with a little rock sprinkled in for good measure. I've been fortunate enough to play a ton of different capacity events ranging from 100-6,000+

I started hearing rumblings about the Quad Cortex (QC) when a friend of mine who is also a professional musician picked one up and began raving about it. Availability was an issue, and when I finally decided to order one, it took well over a month for me to get it.

Initial impressions after using Kemper for so long was the QC was super easy to pick up and use, the out of box presets sounded pretty darn good, and within about 8 hours of tweaking on the QC, I was able to set the Kemper aside and gig with the QC full-time. It goes without saying that the UI of the QC is really what draws people to this unit. I suppose it is comparable to a Helix in some respects, but being able to physically manipulate the chain with your finger is really an underrated aspect of the unit. Coming from the small little monochrome display on the Kemper, the QC makes a guy feel like he set foot into the 21st century.

For what it's worth, I have done almost all my tweaking on Kemper by using the in-unit display and knobs on the profiler. I know I could have a better UI by going into Rig Manager on my computer, but I wanted to learn how to manipulate stuff on the Kemper really, really well so that if I needed to make changes at a show, I could do so between songs if necessary. I even went so far as to rename all my patches and such using the control knobs instead of attaching a keyboard to the unit (I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment). I originally set foot into the modeller world with a Digitech GNX4 back in the day, and I owned a Helix for about a month before going the Kemper route as the Helix was extremely unreliable (footswitch issues).

The QC is built like a tank, something to be expected from a supposed "tour ready" piece of gear that cost me over $2,500CDN, the footswitches are responsive and having rotary control knobs built into them is another aspect that takes the UI to a level above Kemper. In fairness, the hardware Kemper is using is well over a decade old now, and by comparison it STILL doesn't lag that far behind newer units, a testament to the R&D the team at Kemper put into this unit!

The QC is a bit more compact than my unpowered profiler + remote that I lug around in a Gator Kemper Transit bag (coming from a pelican 1610 wheeled case), and the portability aspect is something that is definitely helping me see past a few of the gripes I have with the QC.

The QC is still very much in its infancy, and I don't have a similar comparison with the Kemper as I came into the Kemper world much later, but some of the grievances I have with the QC are stuff that - because modelers are so common now - you think they would have ironed out before rollout of the product.

Here's what I've noted as my main grievances so far with the QC:

1. The Kemper allows me to switch patches during a live show by initially showing me the options to select from BEFORE it switches away from the current sound I'm using...The QC immediately selects the next bank and if I have it in scene mode and I want a solo patch, I now have to do a foot dance in order to select my solo preset and hope that I don't select the wrong one while I'm also trying to solo at the same time. Extremely frustrating

2. The Tap Tempo button on the QC doubles as the tuner button, but you have to hold down the tap tempo button to access the tuner, taking about 3s of time for it to activate. The Kemper remote has an instantly-available tuner button that immediately mutes my guitar, giving me quicker guitar changes between songs.

3. I CANNOT bypass the cab block on a certain output (like you can with the Kemper), meaning if I want to run stereo FOH into a guitar amp for stage volume, I would have to re-do all my patches on the QC to have another row that bypasses the cab block for my given "monitor" output. Again, something that can be fixed but is a bewildering issue because the routing options on the QC are otherwise superior to the Kemper IMO.

3. Last night when using the QC at a gig, I had the tuner/tap tempo footswitch become completely non-responsive and I had to reboot the unit to get it working again. FWIW, I had just updated the unit so it may be a bug in the code that needs to get sorted out... I have two more shows in the next two days so I will see if that issue arises again with the QC.

4. The QC features a "gig view" which is sort of similar to the "perform" mode on the Kemper and alters the display and behaviour characteristics of the switches and such, but the QC doesn't let you default to gig view as of yet, meaning if I have a throw-and-go festival gig and I forget to "swipe up" on the display to access gig mode, I will have to do it mid-song. This is something that can easily be fixed and has been brought to the attention of NDSP.

5. The Kemper Remote's ability to have a stomp section as well as a preset section is GREAT for live use, and the QC has not implemented this feature yet. It is something I used every time I played live with the Kemper

Sound-wise, I think both units sound great, with the edge going to the QC as it feels just a bit more realistic to me. This combined with the portability of the unit has kept me from just returning the QC altogether, and I can see myself continuing to experiment with the QC as my only modeler for the foreseeable future. I still have the Kemper and I'm on the fence about keeping the QC, but again the product is super new, and I knew there would be growing pains.

In the electronics world, there is a saying that you should "buy something for what it can do now, not for the promise of what it may be able to do in the future", and if you're of that mind, I think the QC is not there yet for situations such as mine. However, I find it kind of fun experimenting with a new piece of gear (however frustrating) and noting bugs and other issues to hopefully help improve the product as time goes on.

I hope my long rant helps clarify some of the usability issues with the QC, but also highlights the fact that the Kemper is still totally fantastic and a good buy despite newer modelling technology on the market. I didn't mean for the post to come across as a s*!t talking of the QC, but I wanted to be as objective as I could be after having such a high standard set by the Kemper for my use case.

The higher-end systems all use XLR setups, with my Sennheiser G3 system having both XLR and 1/4" capabilities. I would recommend something like that for your next setup. As for batteries, yup I have had that happen (only once to my knowledge). If you're going the rechargeable route (like I do), spend the extra few dollars and get the Panasonic eneloop pro series batteries/charger. Worth the money for the reliability, plus they actually retain charge if left sitting, unlike most cheap duracell variety rechargeables.

I second letting FOH run 1 line into your IEM receiver and mixing EVERYTHING from aa monitor mix (i.e. not going L-kemper R-mix on your unit), but just my $0.02

x2 for use of a G7th capo. I have a couple of them and use them both live and at home. As the OP noted, where the capo is positioned on the fret, as well as how much tension the capo is putting on the strings, all play a huge part as to whether the tuning will go sharp or not.

I did the same with mine but I've ordered a custom foam insert for the Pelican 1610. The pick n pluck foam is already started to fall apart a bit on me with constant removal from the case. I ordered some custom foam from https://www.mycasebuilder.com/ and should be here in a few days! Their online designer is very easy to use and you get to be very exact with your measurements and placement, allowing you really get the foam fitted for your needs. I'll post pics once it's arrived!

Hey Chris! I'm curious how your custom foam insert turned out and if you would be able to post some photos and maybe a link to the final design specs so we can order one ourselves. Thanks

Thought I'd share a little video from a show i played a little while back.

Both guitarists are using KPAs. I have an MBritt Little Walter profile loaded and i believe the other guy was using a dumble profile?

FWIW I am playing the tele.

https://www.facebook.com/proje…/videos/2061686047393298/

Sorry the video is through facebook, they did not upload through YouTube.

The artist I played with went on to win 1st place, to the tune of $100,953. It is a country artist development program that is 8 months of intense workshops and other career development tasks.

Thanks for watching!

Hey all,

I recently picked up a used Mission Engineering expression pedal (the kemper-specific one) and am having an issue with the pedal not registering the "toe-down" position properly. The bar graph on the kemper shows around 90% at toe down and if i press very hard on the pedal, i can get it to creep up another percent or two. If i take my foot off the pedal after pushing it toe-down, the graph backs off a degree or two, and conversely goes up a degree or two if i put my foot back on the pedal and press down again.
    I have calibrated it numerous times and am now thinking it's a problem with the pedal.

Any help is appreciated

I started with the Helix, having purchased one over a year ago on whim, and found the exact same gripes as you @Grooguit
    Since I purchased a Kemper, I FINALLY have faith in digital modeling again (and trust me, while I'm not an expert in the field, I certainly spent a LOT of time with the Helix). I could never get the "wow" factor that everyone seemed to be able to achieve so easily. The Kemper on the other hand, was UNREAL right out of the box.

Thanks for your review.

I got the 1610 for my Kemper and used the pick N' pluck foam inserts to get a good fit, but I'm curious if having the Kemper "knob-side" down is going to possibly put too much pressure on the knobs? i used some of the leftover foam to line the bottom of the case as the very bottom layer is harder than the pick N' pluck stuff. Having the Kemper face-down makes it much easier to put it in the case.

Alternatives to make it easier to grab when face-up are removing one side of the carrying strap and moving the strap in front of the unit, or using shoelaces or some other method. I'm thinking the carrying strap will wear out if I'm removing and re-installing it a ton over time

I am elated to hear about your fresh-out-of-the-box experience with the Kemper, @Audiopilot

As a former Helix owner, I can attest to the buyer's remorse you were describing with certain pieces of gear...I for one had that BIG TIME after about 2 months with the Helix and getting nowhere. I am definitely not an intense tweaker, but will put in the time if it yields a good result; something which never happened with the Helix.

I am going to have to look into uploading IRs as I did purchase a bunch when I had the Helix. Glad (I now know) they can be used in the Kemper