Posts by Bryan Daste

Remember that impulse responses can be converted to "cabs" and used in the KPA - there are some good acoustic IRs out there! A Google search away...

Verb is the word!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I was about to post something similar and found this one. I would love to see this feature - the ability to control any parameter on the Kemper with either the volume envelope or a programmable LFO. It would be much like the Morph feature, just with a different input signal. Years ago I had a Johnson Millennium (early modeling amp from Digitech) that had this ability, and I loved it!

I'm a pedal steel player, and both hands and feet (and knees) are in use while I play. That made the Remote or foot-based expression pedals fairly useless for my needs. But, I thought, it would be nice to have control over a few things right from the steel, without constantly turning to the unit and messing with menus...so I spent the afternoon building this little guy. I realized the Kemper can handle an expression pedal in one Exp input and a dual switch in the other, and this is what I came up with:

[Blocked Image: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1712/5061_Homeade_EXP_box_1.jpg]

I used an old pot that I retired from a volume pedal after it started getting scratchy (not a problem here, since we're not hearing it - if the response seems spotty, I'll switch it out, but it works for now), and I pirated some cabling and TRS plugs from other defunct gear. Spent about $10 at the electronics store for the project box, two momentary switches, and a knob. Voila!

On the Kemper I've set the knob to morph. Right now I have one switch assigned to tap tempo and the other set to toggle on/off the Stomps. Works great so far! Has anyone else made their own Exp controller?

OK, just uploaded a batch of profiles I made that are geared for pedal steel. This is my first time uploading to the Rig Exchange, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right (don't see them yet in the Rig Exchange window of Rig Manager...is there a delay before they appear?). Search for the string "BD-PSG" or "Pedal Steel Guitar" to find them!

There's a Peavey Nashville 400 (both straight into the power amp and with EQ/preamp engaged), a Fender Bronco (Vibro Champ), and an Epiphone Galaxie 25. I also did profiles with a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic in front of the Bronco and the Galaxie.

The Galaxie also has merged "DI" profiles which sound almost identical to the studio versions of the same setup. But for some reason when I try to switch out cabs on the KPA (which is the whole point of DI profiles, right?), the results sound weird and nasally. Not sure why. I used a Behringer Ultra DI to create those. The DI profiles do work well when sending out a signal to an actual amp (my Peavey Nashville 400, which is solid state) from the monitor output with cab bypassed.

jbraun002, wanna try these with your steel and let me know what you think? I imagine they'd be pretty dark for electric guitar, but I like that deep tone on steel.

Yeah, I'm just thinking once the titles are saved in the KPA and I'm away from the computer (at a gig for instance), the truncated titles could be a problem. Smaller font maybe??

Sound engineer at my gig on Thursday said she "loved me" because it was so easy to work with my Kemper signal - no problems with excessive stage volume, etc., but that it just sounds great right out of the box. I've carefully tweaked my Performances so there are no huge volume or tone jumps - I think that helps a lot too!

Welcome here , if you ever get some dobro IR let us know. I know muddy sludge has some great dobro & slide skills, he might help you in your quest.

That would also be cool to share your profiles on rig exchange

I found these IRs made from pie tins for a dobro sim, which is a cool idea, but doesn't sound totally authentic to me:
    https://www.instructables.com/…ar-Into-a-Dobro-Using-Al/

Haven't turned up much else with a Google search. MuddySludge, if you've got any leads, I'm all ears!

I intend to share my profiles on the Rig Exchange, but first I wanted to ask if there's an etiquette guide for naming/tagging. I noticed that most of the commercial profiles are named with "fake" names (similar, but not identical, to the actual company name, ex: Fried Man or Bend Sun). I assume this is to avoid any legal issues with using the actual name. Do non-commercial, freely exchanged profiles need to follow the same conventions? Or does no one really care? I named all my stuff with the real names; just wondering if I need to change that!

Also wondering if there is a way to add an instrument tag that is not Guitar, Bass, or Acoustic. For instance: Pedal Steel Guitar :)

Hello,

I'm a pedal steel guitarist in Portland, Oregon. I found the Kemper by listening to the Jim Lill Podcast (formerly "Back from the Gig"), which I discovered by stumbling upon one of Jim's YouTube videos where he talks about pedal steel. I know the Kemper is aimed at guitarists, but of course, it works well with pedal steel too! It also solves several problems for me, both live and in the studio. One device that:

• Is infinitely expandable. I've already profiled my own amps with/without my favorite distortion pedals in front. At a rehearsal the other day I was playing through a friend's Twin - after practice, stuck a mic on it, profiled, and used it on a recording the next day!
    • Can handle any instrument with a pickup - I also play electric bass, which works wonderfully, as well as banjo, acoustic guitar, and upright bass - more on that in a sec
    • Can function as an impulse response player! Using IRs I created elsewhere (ToneDexter), I can process my banjo, acoustic guitar, and upright bass. Now they sound amazing instead of like a cartoonish approximation of a real instrument. Can you tell I hate acoustic pickups? There are also great IRs available on the web. I need a good dobro IR, if anyone has one!
    • Can fit in an overhead bin. As a touring musician, this is important. I went with the head version over the rack for this reason - the dimensions work better for a carry on.
    • Is constantly updated. I'd had it only a week or two when the spring reverb update came out. Now I use the spring on everything! Can't wait for the new ambient verbs.
    • Has a helpful and supportive community. Coming from steel guitar, I'm spoiled by the tight knit community we have at the Steel Guitar Forum and IRL. It's nice to see that Kemper users have the same spirit and willingness to help each other out. Thanks!

Bryan Daste
    https://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com/

I've noticed that for longer Rig titles, the end of the title gets cut off on the Kemper display. So if I make a few Rigs with longer titles and name them "Long Long Long Rig Title 1," "Long Long Long Rig Title 2," "Long Long Long Rig Title 3," and so on, I will never actually see the 1, 2 and 3 numerals. This can cause confusion. Is there a way to enable scrolling for longer titles? Or some sort of automatic text shortener - auto-removing spaces, maybe vowels, etc. when switching between Rigs?

Thanks!