Posts by ToneDeaf

Pretty sure you can do it. Just need a cable from the phone to two 1/4 jacks.

Check this tutorial:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

... and me 8)

And me. Coming from a piano, it looked to me that fretting is more of a dexterity thing than picking. So I never even tried playing lefty.

Not sure if I was right with my initial assertion however it actually feels pretty ok to hold the bass "backwards".

The only solution would be of course to profile the Archon and use the Kemper instead of the amp. So I'd use the cab on stage and then send the same sound but with a cab sim to the FOH.

Yes and yes.

My only word of advice would be to not discredit this setup. The thing is, that cab simulation is actually your cab profiled and I am willing to bet that at high volume, live situation there is no way people would hear the difference.

Also, if you want to move air, use your cab, if you just want to hear yourself, you can just hook up to a powered monitor or in-ear.

Oh, I meant to say that she released her first album on her 16th birthday. Don't you hate that?

She is really good!

I have to say though that I have seen this wonderkid situation a few times in my life and maybe it is just that they burn faster and lots of time they also burn out sooner. I would like to present Mozart as exhibit A.

As a counter example, see for example me - approaching half a century - I am still waiting to peak on playing bass. :D

Another great thread!

Right now it is the Monk:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: color me old-fashioned but if I was not sitting next to this keyboard, it would be the same just on vinyl.

Musical family history here too. Grandmother was a piano teacher.

I am a classically trained piano player myself. All 3 of my kids play the piano. Once we ran out of pianos / synthesizers in the house, I had to find something else. Always loved instruments in the lower range so I picked up the bass. I love it. Son now plays the guitar and all the kids luckily outpaced their old man in learning new instruments.

I have to say, playing together with the kids is something very special. If you have kids I am sure you agree. Seeing (and hearing) my kids jam together on the piano, ukulele and saxophone after only declaring a key signature is an experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. (Also in that list is hearing my son play Megadeth on the ukulele :D )

There are tons of output options, you may want to go through the manual once when bored.

For the most part as long as you don't push the monitors into clipping, all will be fine. (It will be fine even when they start clipping, just not sound as good.) I don't know if your monitors have an LED to show when they clip but even if they don't, just set their volume half way and control the actual volume from the Kemper master volume knob.

For unplugging the Kemper, I never do it.

And most of all - enjoy the sound!

Andy, I understand what you are trying to do.

However please take it from the ultimate analog-loving guy, until you actually hear the Kemper you cannot quite understand how game-changing it is.

If you profile you amp / cab with the settings you like, it is extremely unlikely that you would want to haul around the actual amp / cab for a gig. The Kemper is really that good. We could argue if it is 100% or 98% but none of this is relevant. I have lifted tube amps and guitar cabs and the weight difference will decide the live setup in favor of the Kemper.

So forget about the effects loop, if you have a friend who has a Kemper, just try it.

Also, @Wheresthedug is correct, all of the heavy lifting (literally in this case) would be only for you, unless you are mic-ing the cab. Otherwise the Kemper "pre-amp + effect" signal is going to the FOH and only you are listening to the magnificent Archon power amp distortion and the cab.

If you only want effects, like others have said, there are way cheaper options.

Side-note : I do have an Archon profile on our Kemper and it is one of our favorites. I love PRS guitars as well (my son plays a semi-hollow custom 22) so I know where you are coming from in terms of that tone!

Unless the OP inserts a mixer between the interface's main outputs and his monitors, this won't work 'cause I assume he'd want to hear the computer / DAW output in his monitors too.

Duh, I just realized that those Yamahas were the DAW speakers.

So yes, Monkey_Man is right, the more you spend, the better the sounds will compare. You could get a mixer, a new interface or maybe even one extra Yamaha monitor speaker connected to the Kemper directly.

Just before we got ours, I did a search on this and the majority of the people recommended the powered one.

I could not justify the price difference so got the unpowered toaster (in pristine white I might add ;) )

Works perfectly for us with powered monitors / powered PA speakers.

I think a lot depends on your use case. Unless you want to use real guitar cabs you will be fine with the unpowered units. (For cabs, having to haul an extra power amp is probably too much of a hassle.)

Sorry for stating the obvious but you may want to consider just profiling the Archon with the cab and not carrying those anywhere.

I think a Kemper going straight to the FOH plus a powered monitor speaker on stage would be a significantly simpler setup.

For your 2nd use case, I had to check the manual and for the "monitor" output you can disable the cab simulation so you are good to go. Check page 34 in the manual.

I also have am older Focusrite (2i4). Does yours have the little 'mic / line' switches? I think the new ones may not have those and they auto-detect it based on the connector used. If you use XLR, it will default to mic level and use its preamps. If using 1/4", it is line.

I think you could get both speakers + 2i2 running simultaneously, main out to speakers and monitor out to the 2i2.

I have it basically backwards - I have the main out going to a mixer at constant -18 db volume and the monitor going to powered monitor speakers (just in case I don't feel like powering everything on). I have the output volume knob unlinked from the main outs - I bet you could do it backwards and unlink it from the monitor. That way your monitors would always get -18db on that guitar cable and you would only have to set up the gain on the Focusrite once. The volume knob would still control your speaker volume though.

Edit: just checked, page 2 of the output config, you can unlink the monitor level and set it to whatever constant you'd like.

If you have a laptop close to the Kemper so you can USB connect them, then the easiest is to just let the Rig Manager update it.

Here's a video that shows how that works.

Unfortunately I don't know the Apollo interface.

However when I was debugging my setup it was helpful to just solo playback the recorded DI signal. (I assume the DI signal sounds fine when played back in the DAW.) With headphones in the Kemper one can then make sure that the re-amped signal sounds good "leaving" the Kemper. If that all works and sounds good, you can add the extra complications of sending the re-amped signal to the Apollo input and then recording it.

Amon, I created a write up of how our Kemper is hooked up, including for reamping. It is with an XR-18 but you may find it useful to see the pictures or see how I have to mute things to not get feedback. Here is the original thread:

Kemper + Behringer XR18