Posts by aaronbagby

It ended up being that there was an existing morph applied to delay feedback/mix which was overriding the CC.

I’m not sure how the Freeze CC would be better, or applicable, but I have the issue solved, so no worries!

I’m trying to send the KPA two CCs simultaneously to make the DLY module oscilate at the end of a song. I send CC 68/69 at value 127, and neither of them actually affect the respective parameters of the delay module. Not sure why this would be, but any input is appreciated.

while the Effects Section is stereo, if you hear the effect in stereo or mixed mono or just one side of the stereo signal, depends on the output used and its source selection plus what the guy at the mixing desk does..

Of course. I just mean that I don’t see how mono/stereo positioning of the effect could have had an effect on the note value of the effect. Something strange was at work here. Since this performance, we haven’t used MIDI clock, and the problem has not happened again.

Nobody has have reported such an issue: bpm correct, note values correct, Tremolo faster than bpm and note values. Are you using Tremolo in the stereo Effects Section? Perhaps an issue caused by stereo versus mixing to mono.

This guitar is always mono. If memory serves, the tremolo for this Rig is in the “X” block, so it would be a stereo effect. It has never been an issue at all before this.

I think, you make a wrong assumption. The PROFILER doesn't apply 16th notes by itself and while showing 8th notes at Tremolo Rate.

I assume the bpm were wrong. Which Tempo is set in the DAW project? And which bpm were shown in Rig Setting on page Tempo at that time? Were these in line or was bpm in PROFILER much higher?

Was there perhaps a MIDI loop? MIDI clock doesn't transmit a bpm value, but is like a heart beat. If the PROFILER receives MIDI clock twice it might be interpreted as higher bpm.

I understand that MIDI clock doesn’t send tempo information. I am sending clock so that time-based effects are in sync with the grid in ProTools. Like I said, in my post, the session tempo was correct and matched to the Kemper @ 90BPM (confirmed at time of error). The effect was timed perfectly for a full rehearsal session the day prior, and for two “practice” runs at the television studio. For the final run (taped for broadcast), the “tempo” light on the KPA remained in perfect sync with the metronome at 1/4 note, but the tremolo was doing 1/16th notes. After the taping, I confirmed that the Rig settings still showed the correct Tempo, and that the effect was still set to 1/8. I couldn’t be more certain of this. However, I couldn’t say what happened to make it so. At the end of the day, it is one element of a dense mix, and was not a showstopper, but great effort was spent to shape the tone/effects of this track, and something happened to negate it in the moment, so it’s a bit of a bummer.

Yesterday, during a live performance, the tremolo on one of my patches decided to double in speed. It is an 8th note in the patch, but it went to 16ths despite the screen still saying 8th. The kemper was receiving MIDI clock from the DAW, and the session was set to the correct tempo. It was fine for one run-through of the song, then wrong on the next one. Unfortunately, that one was televised. Not a showstopper, but annoying. Any idea what could cause this?

I have a section of a song during which the guitar has a deep 8th note tremolo with a ducking effect so that the busier passages stay unaffected. Just the ringouts get the heavy trem. I’ve got the sound dialed in, and the MIDI changes coming from Pro Tools, but it feels inconsistent for some reason. When it’s right, it sounds awesome. But during some shows, it feels as though the “zero point” of the trem isn’t quite on beat. Other shows, it feels like the trem isn’t quite as deep (or maybe as though the trem isn’t ducking in the same way). As far as the zero crossing, I’ve tried shifting the MIDI event in Pro Tools slightly in either direction, but it just never feels consistent. I’m looking to gain some clarity about how the ducking parameter is “measured”, as well as maybe get tips about how to make sure the tremolo is acting in time with the session in PT consistently. Would this be as simple as maybe adding a CC on two consecutive beats in the session to simulate the tap tempo? Also curious about what exactly the crossover parameter is doing. Is it that the frequencies below the crossover are fully unaffected by the trem? The manual seems to say that, but not as clear as I’d hope. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I imagine the obvious answer to this being to set the KPA to receive MIDI clock from the DAW. However, for reasons related to ProTools issues, the playback sessions are not actually on the grid in PT. There is a single tempo in the session, and all songs are simply “floating”. It does make MIDI more tedious to edit, but I’m told that this eliminated many of the bugs they were experiencing in the days before they switched to this setup.

I just set up a patch to have a morphed parameter (touch wah with 0% mix in base state, 100% morphed). When I go to that patch in performance mode, pressing the switch again does not take the patch to the morphed state. Is there a setting I may be overlooking in the unit? I thought this was a default behavior. Thanks for any insight.

edit: I’ve found the “rig button morph” in the settings, so consider this solved.

Looking to automate a Digitech Whammy type effect (+1 octave) for a player who doesn’t use a remote or expresssion pedals. It’s single notes in a passage that repeats many times in the track. I realized quickly that drawing the curves with the pencil in pro tools (CC #4) is going to be really tedious, especially since the PT session isn’t actually aligned to the DAW’s grid (for reasons I have no say in). So I thought maybe I could just set the “heel down” parameter to be morphed to +12, such that it would ramp up at the morph “rise” time. With “momentary” selected, it was nearly a success. However, the limitation here is that it only moves in semitonal increments, so it doesn’t sound right at all. Hoping someone else might have a tip. If not, I guess I’ll have to go to the session and dial in the CC curve with the pencil. Thanks!

So it's been a few years since I've worked with Kempers as a tech, and I'm running into a couple of questions while trying to clean up some of the tones that this band has made. There are a lot of tones with heavy delay/verb that are getting muddy as the two blocks interface. I can't seem to find the Del/Verb Balance parameter anywhere in the Reverb block. Am I missing something? Has it been phased out of use? Thanks.

It would just make things a lot easier if I could simply see (and write down) the exact MIDI address for each patch that the player is loading in real time during the set at rehearsals. As it is now, I will have to go through it all manually between rehearsal sets with the remote disconnected. Not the end of the world, but it's extra work/translation for no (seemingly) obvious reason.

I'm currently looking after a touring rig that consists of three KPAs for two players. Two of them, in performance mode, display the MIDI mapping of the loaded performance. One does not, and it's making MIDI mapping a little more tedious. They are on the same OS version, so it seems this would be a setting somewhere that I could change? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone. Another niche question here. I recently got a Keith KMI Softstep 2 controller, and wanted to mess around with it to control some Kemper functions. I have gotten somewhere with it in Hosted mode, which means I have to open their Editor software and manually switch the unit's preset banks to access functions. In the Standalone mode (required for sending the device program changes), the unit does not seem to work properly. I can't get it to even load the preset, and "load" is permanently displayed on the unit. I did have presets loading to the unit for a short time, but even then, in the function menus for each footswitch, no MIDI data was being registered as I pressed buttons. I tried a firmware update, and have been chasing their customer service down but it's very slow back and forth. Anyone else been in this boat? Their customer support is all done via email, and it's been very slow communication with them. If I can get it to work, this thing will make a great addition to my setup. Thanks!

This is a continuation of a thread I recently started. I am using a kemper rack for bass guitar, and the DI signal comes off of the rear of the rack. I want this output totally dry, so I want to set it to “Git Analog”. However, this mode give me zero output when selected. I read the manual, and it seemed like that output mode might not be feasible with rear input. However, a couple of other people seemed to have the same problem and created threads of their own. Their replies indicated this behavior isn’t normal, so I need a straight answer. I really would prefer to have no cables running to the front of my racks. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think I’ve figured this out. Looks like “git analog” is physically tied to only the front input of the KPA. So i’ve made a cable to run around the front, which is kind of a bummer because there is otherwise zero cabling on the front side of my racks. If anyone can enlighten me, I’d love to know if it’s at all possible to run the DI out without the “stomps” section from the alternative (rear) input.