Posts by Southdakota

Hate to bring it up but I bought one a week ago and used it for my first gig this past saturday. Sounded great. Unfortunately it only lasted two sets then died. Not a fuse issue. I sent it back today and bought a different brand. Hope it was just a fluke and that yours works well! Like I said, it did sound good while it worked and it definitely has good bottom end.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some of us golf. Some play softball with the guys. I get to do this on the weekends and at 46 years old, it makes me feel like a kid again! Now that I'm using Kemper, it's even better!!

The one part I did not get is why take two toasters with that huge amount of foam instead of 2 rack mount ones.

Right?!....Could have had half the size of a rack. Looks cooler this way I guess. Lol

My favorite piece of advice is to not eq your profile much at all. I totally agree with him in that the more you tweek, the more artificial it starts to sound. Thats why I love buying a profile pack with 80 profiles of the same amp. If you cant find at least a few that you like, then that pack is not for you.

Kemper discussion starts at about 4:40. The best advice he gives is to do the minimal amount of eq on your profiles. Also good info on pitch transpose. Cool guy with good practical info!

Awesome set up! I just ordered one for $371 on Musicians Friend. Saw some good reviews using with Kemper and as a floor wedge. Several people saying they are a bit bass heavy but I'm not worried about that. Can always eq that. So, no bed for me. Maybe a pillow...

@MuddySludge I just looked your EV up. Looks very promising and only $100 more than the Headrush. Even though not advertised as "frfr" I'm sure it would give a transparent representation? Can you lie it down as a wedge monitor?

It is not a blown fuse and still dead. Packed and ready for return. It really sucks because I was loving it. YES, it would be plenty loud to cut through in your band situation@'jak888'. But, I'm not giving it a second chance. It's going back and I'm looking for something else.

Riding home from my gig now. The Headrush sounded awesome for 2 sets and then the sonofabitch died. I'm guessing fuse. Will update tomorrow. Ran it at about half volume on a good clean circuit so very strange.

Lmao.....YES! I shall begin the build tomorrow!

To elaborate on my comments about stage volume...my moment of clarity came at a Skid Row concert about 6 years ago. I was front row stage left right in front of Dave Sabos full stack JCM 900. It was miserably loud. Could not hear vocals. Moved about 5 rows back and same thing. And this is a relatively big 5000 seat hall. I realized then that it is ridiculously bad practice to ruin the experience of everyone in the front. YES it's cool to feel the air on your ass but at what cost?!

I will try that. This recording I posted (That Town) I did the opposite. I panned two drum tracks hard right and left and ran the bass down the center.

Panning is definitely something I am still experimenting with. And that is the biggest challenge with my recording gear....getting good separation.

@MuddySludge, like the other tune I heard. This is some great stuff man! All the instruments sound great. The live drums make all the difference in the world. You are also great at restraint. The few guitar licks that are there are tasty as hell. Jungle recording my ass...sounds like Brendan Obrien produced it compared to my trash! Lol

@ToneDeaf, I hear you man! I wish I could tell you that the reason I chose to record in the primitive way I do is because of artistic preservation of my music in it's most true and natural state......but I can't because I'd be lying! But, you do bring up a great point and I am also personally disgusted with most of what I hear on country and pop radio. And subconsciously that is probably why I still listen to so much "old school " metal and rock. And why I think Led Zeppelin 1 is their best work.....because of the rawness of it. And thank you for giving my song a listen!

Depends. Before Kemper I had a 2x12 for my Mesa Roadster, a wedge with a little guitar and in ears with a little guitar. If your only onstage volume will be from this speaker, I'm not really sure. I have a light hitting drummer in my band so it would be fine for me. For the price you could always get two. I will know more after tomorrow's gig and will let you know.
    I have an amazing sound man. It's taken 5 years of working together and me giving up essentially control....meaning, reducing stage volume so that he can give the best FOH sound possible. I've been using plexiglass in front of my amp for years. This is just taking it one step further. My sound guy always says, why do you need that cab behind you when your ears face forward?! Well, I'm going to find out tomorrow.

So jak888, I may not be the best resource if you are in a band with unlimited stage volume! Lol.....will let you know though.

Just fired this up last night. Been running the Kemper through a Carvin Belair 2x12 tube amp and a solid state 50 W Peavey through a home built 2x12. That and good headphones have been my primary means of hearing the Kemper in action. So, compared to that, how does the Headrush sound? Well, once I remembered to turn my Cab Sim on through the monitor output, it sounds great. Folks....when running FRFR, make sure to check the Cab Sim is on because it really sounded like crap with this turned off! Anyway, this thing sounds great. Big, full sound. Maybe a bit thick on the bass end but not in a flubby way. Plenty loud even at half volume. Compared to running through my tube combo and the solid state combo.....I would describe it as what I expected it to be....more full. Less mid focused. I have wireless guitar live so I'm used to walking out front and hearing my rig through the PA. That's what this reminds me of. And it should after all....its FRFR, like the PA. I will be using it for my first live gig tomorrow..... in fact, first gig ever without having a cab behind me. I'm going to set it in front right next to my monitor. My sound man will be extremely happy! For the price ($299) I am very pleased with it so far. Will let you know how it performs in a live band setting.

Might be making a cardboard Marshall full stack to put behind me....just because... ;)