Posts by Southdakota

Before using the Kemper I played a Mesa Roadster for about 3 years in my cover band. Last night while going through my library of profiles it hit me just how much I dislike the tone of Mesa...pretty much all of them. Over the 3 years I had the amp I was subconsciously trying to turn it into a British sound via EQ, how I set mode switches and tubes. Even then it still retained most of the inherent Mesa tone. Going through Kemper profiles, comparing, bouncing back and forth, all of the inherent characteristics of our favorite amps that we've heard or read descriptions of come through in a very bold and unmistakable way. What I'm getting at is this. Unless you are fortunate enough to have 50 amps in a room to A/B, it is very difficult to really know what you like or how to get that sound you heard on a particular song and can't get it out of your head . Kemper cures this problem. Now I know exactly what I like...Fender type cleans and EL34 monsters (especially Friedmans). And there isn't a Friedman within 500 miles of where I live. I would have never known nor would I have paid that much for one. Kemper has opened up a whole new world to me!!!

As a side note...I see that in most tutorial videos, they are setting up a single "performance" to do one song. So that button 1 might be a sound for the intro. 2 might be the main verse. 3 chorus. 4 lead....etc. I suppose that would work for some applications but for me, in a live setting, I dont want to be scrolling up and down to find the "performance" for each song. I really only need 5 great profiles. And I do have a few special tones, for example a great Brown Sound from Top Jimi and my MBritt SRV tone that I keep in a different "performance" titled "Signature tones". Aside from that, it makes more sense for me to just have easy access to my 5 basic tones. To each his own!

Ive only played two gigs so far and have only owned my Kemper for a little over a month but I just have to say that from an old pedal stomping guy, this remote is incredible. Specifically for lead tones. On each of my 5 profiles (clean through brutally heavy) on my main "performance" page, I have used the morph function to set up lead tones. Before Kemper, I had to hit a boost pedal and delay or similar pedal basically simultaneously during leads. With the Kemper, I can simply hit the same button I'm already on (morph) and I'm on my lead tone with boost, maybe more gain, delay, usually reverb taken completely out....all with the push of one button. It has completely changed my live gigs. It is so much easier. And with 5 different profiles, and I use them all in my cover band, I can set each boosted lead tone differently. Some I want more delay or a different type of delay. Some maybe a touch of chorus. Some more gain, others just more volume. Before, my pedals were all set the same regardless of which channel I happened to be using on my amp. And so the only real stomping I do is the few flavors I have loaded into the stomp section. Tremolo for some CCR, harmony effect for the solo in Were Not Gonna Take It.....it's very minimal. If you have not used the morph function in this way, I highly recommend it. Anyway, thank you Kemper for making my live experience even more enjoyable!!

I assigned a few effects from the "effects" bank to the profiler effect buttons and was unable to shut them off. They became part of the profile. It was only when I programmed effects using the stomps A-D that I could turn the effect off and on via the remote. So if effects can be assigned to the controller from the "effects" section in a way that they can be switched off and on like a stomp, I was obviously doing it wrong.

My guess is he did the exact same thing I did when I first set mine up a few weeks ago. Programmed a few "effects" in the remote and couldn't turn them off. Then realized I had to use "stomps" in order to be able to switch them off and on on the remote.

You are correct about the freezing Lakota...Lol. Very nice in the summer though. So yeah, I think I'm better off not leaving the Kemper in the trailer. We do get into the -10 to -20 range. And it is not enjoyable in the least.

Thank you gentlemen. I am truly loving this thing. Tweakers delight!! One question for you all. Reliability? Haven't read much about that which I take as a good thing. The one thing I did was buy a spare cable to my Kemper controller in case of a bad connection on a gig. It's going to spend some very cold nights in a trailer over the winter....cold, condensation when it thaws out....any experience with that?

Its the loaded pick guard set. I know there is a 58 in there as well as a different one. I should probably know that....Lol. All I know is I like them. Still has the Strat sound with no noise. And now that I'm running through the Kemper it is dead silent!

Same old story....tube amp and pedal guy....tired of lugging it all to gigs...tired of noise and bad connections. Looking for a cleaner, lighter, more efficient and more versatile unit. I've known about Kemper for years but didn't even consider it.....until a month ago. I had surgery for a torn Achilles tendon and was off work for a few weeks. Maybe the hydrocodone had something to do with it.....I don't know but I basically jumped in headfirst. Put my Mesa Roadster and all of my pedals (except wah) up for sale. I've had my Kemper for 3 weeks now. Used it last weekend for the first time on a gig. Ran direct to FOH, monitor out to my Carvin Belaire for some stage volume. Simply put, I love it. I will never go back!

Great to hear that you liked it. I played my first show with mine last weekend after being a Tube amp and pedal snob for years.... (Mesa Boogie Roadster). I loved it as well and so did our sound man simply for the consistency and zero noise. I did make a few minor tweaks to some of my sounds this week so looking forward to next weekends gig. I am playing mine direct to FOH but also using the monitor out to my Carvin Belair 2x12 which is very clean and transparent. I still like that little bit of stage volume even though we use in ears. What is your live rig setup?

Hey all, I'm new to Kemper but not new enough that I havent spent hours over the last 3 weeks trying to find a good SRV Tone...primarily Pride and Joy type sound. I don't yet have a profile to attatch here (I will learn how upon request) but let me just tell you my settings as it is quite easy. First of all, I am using an American Strat with Dimarzio Area pups which are close in sound to the stock pups but without the hum. Best sounding on neck pup. I started with the Michael Britt C Ton SRV 5 S which is part of his free pack which I downloaded from the Kemper support>Rig packs. I pushed gain to 4.3. I pushed Bass to +.8, treble to + .5, presence to +.4. Under Amplifier settings I bumped Definition to 7.0 and left everything else the same. I have had no luck using the Green Scream so for my lead tone (using the morph function) I simply raised gain and volume. Let me know what you think and also let me know of other SRV tones to try out. Thank you!