Posts by FarleyUK

OK, here's a brief vid from the gig last night. Using a TopJimi Caswell AFD profile (think this was a greenback one), Kemper stereo out at -20 going into 2 RedSound cabs set to 8 out of 10 on volume. The camera is set BEHIND the cabs as well...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd heard a lot of good stuff about these cabs from many people on here and other forums, so took the plunge and ordered two of them for stereo use in the band. I went for the 'rack' versions, which just means they are slightly slanted version (my thinking being better sound dispersion).

They arrived today - Firstly, BIG shout-out and thanks to Peter at ClearSoundMusic in the UK (the UK distributor of these) - he drove round the M25 to personally deliver them to me. Top, top bloke and a pleasure to deal with!

They look great, and are very well constructed; the sound itself is much thicker and 'fatter' than the Headrush FrFr speakers I've been using. It does seem to sound more like a cab as well, including all the issues that brings; for example, I've had to reduce my EQ cut to 6kHz now instead of 7,000. Also a lot boomier, so have increased the low cut to 120Hz.

But yes, they do sound very nice indeed - will be using them at the gig tonight so will upload some vids tomorrow of how they sound in the mix.

One thing I'm unsure about now if the PureCab setting on these.... think it sounds slightly less shrill with it on, so have it around 5 at the minute.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Depends on what you're looking for. I just got the Headrush FR112 and really happy with it. There are a ton of FRFR shootout videos and the Headrush was a little more brittle than most, especially the Friedman, but it's also almost one third the cost. This was my first stepping into the FRFR world, so I thought it would be best to dip the toe rather than go full bore. Since this was more for band practice and stage volume I need it to sound good, but also be loud enough for rock and metal. It was a lot louder than I even thought. Also, it sounded a lot better in person than it did on video, so I was actually happier than expected. Overall, if money was no object, I would probably go with the Mission, but that is only because of the reviews I got from other Kemper users being the only other FRFR that I heard with it. Also, Kemper is releasing active and passive cabs, so things may change soon.

Plus, the Headrush speakers go to 11 on the volume dials. They're one louder.

I've got this effect - I use it when we play it live. Can't remember the settings exactly, but I'm happy to post the details once I get home on Friday.

This is an old patch I made on the AX8 - I think the Kemper one is better:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm afraid I can't solve this :/

- Does the eq in x slot get applied if you turn off fx loop in mod slot?

- Does your output menu look like this? (direct output greyed out and set to off saying 'used for effect loop')

I've figured it out...!

After messing around with using the direct out and monitor out together, I'd accidentally left it so that the monitor out was going to the Mimiq, instead of the Direct Out.

When I changed it to Direct Out instead of Monitor Out, it's back to normal (on both the EQ issue and the volume issue).

Is it better to have the EQ before or after the stereo loop.

That doesn't happen on my Kemper. Try verifying it with some radical eq settings (i.e. the eq telephone preset). Have you set the output that you listen to (main or monitor or headphone out) to master stereo/mono?

Yep, listening via headphones, set to Master Stereo. Still getting the same effect even with radical EQ settings.

You can't use 'monitor stereo', if you want to use a fx loop as both use the direct out (send) of the Kemper.

The stereo fx loop is a mono send, stereo return loop. Use a stereo loop in x slot, connect the direct out (send) of the Kemper to the input of the Mimiq and the two outputs of the Mimiq to return and alternative input of the Kemper.

Got it, cheers - so I've set it up correctly :)

Next issue I have is that if my EQ block is before the FX loop (i.e. in the X slot) and the Stereo FX loop is in the MOD slot, the EQ doesn't get applied. If I put the EQ block AFTER the Stereo Loop (i.e. Stereo Loop in X slot, EQ in MOD slot) it DOES get applied.

Getting a huge volume drop as well, but I can probably sort that with the FX Loop Volume parameter.

Hmmm... when I enable 'Monitor Stereo' and use the Direct Out and Monitor Out into the Mimiq, I get an error in the FX Loop black - states Effect Loop not possible! Monitor Stereo is active.

If I disable Monitor STereo and have the DIrect Out connected to the Mono Input on the Mimiq, it works.

What am I doing wrong here?

Loop Stereo block in the MOD slot, set to 100% mix.

Thanks! Just so I'm clear - it's the Direct Output (set to 'Master Stereo') via a TRS jack to the STEREO input of the Mimiq...?

And then stereo outs into the Alternative Input and Return Input?

I've taken the plunge and have a TC Electronic Mimiq doubler arriving today...!

I'm hoping it'll help thicken up and expand the sound when I'm playing gigs, as I run stereo to 2 x Headrush 112 FrFr speakers either side of the drummer as backline; plus, I'm the only guitarist....

Anyone else got one with the Kemper? Any particular settings I should be aware of?

I've actually been using the greenback version a bit more as well now; I have the tube shape up around 4.8, Tube Bias around 2, Clarity around 2, Compressor around 0.5 and Power Sagging at 1.2.

Sounded great at rehearsal!

Gutted!

I’m on holiday and can’ Try it for nearly 2 weeks :(

I note that Burkhard mentioned the deveolpment and testing of OS7 remains on target and that the interim release won’t hold things up any. So what is the target guys ;) i know you won’t commit to a date but are we talking days, weeks, months or years? Possibly the evening before Summer NAMM?

Doubt it'll be that close to NAMM - I'd like to think they'd have people around to help fix any bugs that crop up after release, as opposed to waiting for a few days due to them being at a trade show.

The 'sound' of the Fractal stuff is one thing, but the 'feel' and responsiveness of them is quite another.... hence why I've gone to Kemper after using Fractal equipment for several years (and Line 6).

I've always taken the approach of using the volume on the Kemper as the 'main' volume before using the FrFr volume; this way, you get a better signal to noise ratio (i.e. ideally you would have the Kemper dimed and control the volume via the FrFr speaker). Personally - as my FrFr speakers are the backline and not easy to reach - I set them at 50% volume and have the Kemper around -10dB as the master output, so I have some extra headroom.