Posts by bluzgtr68

Even though the Kemper nails the feel and tone of amplifiers I find the drives to lack something in their feel and responsiveness. I use the soft shaper for adding small amounts of dirt to a rig. Sometimes when I wish to add more gain I use the green screamer. It certainly tightens up the tone, but it just doesn't feel like a tube screamer of any sort to my fingers.

It very well could be just me. Does anyone else notice this sort of thing in the Kemper ODs? What about the helix drives that people always seem to enjoy? Do they actually feel like analog drives?

Have Kemper mentioned anything about improvement of the ODs when they add new choices?

Wish I could help you, but I gave up on using the FX Loop in my Kemper because of this issue. I don't know how others have been successful in placing drive pedals in the loop for use. I've heard its possible, but not with my Kemper. I never sent the unit in for service as I figured its "just the way it is" and I would be out the shipping costs for nothing. Sorry :(

Hello. Wanted to let you guys know how great the Top Jimi Marshall JTM45 profiles are. The offset JTM45 profiles are a little warmer and vintage sounding and the non-offset has a relatively modern edge and bite to the tones. When I purchased the non-offset profiles I was a little disappointed because the tones were a little more aggressive sounding than I wanted. Top Jimi’s customer service was outstanding and he helped tremendously without me evening asking.

Can’t recommend his profiles enough.

Thanks,

Jamie

Hello. Shouldn't it be possible for the Kemper to compare the spectra of the Amp/mic/preamp chain to the initial created profile and give statistical data about how they match?

In my simplistic idea of how the Kemper works I think that the Kemper simply tries to match the frequency spectrum of the signal it sees to that of a standard in its memory. Isn't that why you have to give a gain or distortion range for your profile when you create one? In that way, the Kemper chooses a standard spectrum closest to the amp and settings you are trying to profile? Maybe I'm thinking about this in wrong way, but its the only way I can make sense of how great the Kemper sounds.

Maybe the Kemper could give statistical data about matching between the amp and the profile for various frequency bands. That could guide how you proceed in further refinement.

Thanks for bringing that comment to my attention, Monkey_Man. My whole question or comment stemmed from the little bit of knowledge I have about early parallel computing when the real concerns were indeed communication and storage. I know things have come a long way since then.

It is indeed a moot point. Perhaps modern computational technology has me spoiled. If they are still using the same DSP chips they installed in the first KPAs off the assembly line then that certainly offends my sensibilities with regard to hardware technology.

However, the value of the KPA isn't found solely (or actually mostly) in its hardware, but within the software. When purchasing a KPA you are subscribing to the Kemper software service. They seem to have made great progress in squeezing all they can from their algorithms.

I was mainly wondering if the KPA 1.0 was develop with an eye on modular upgrades. It would be rather odd to me if the KPA I purchased a few months ago (and was built approximately a year or so ago) would have the exact same DSP chips that they installed in the 2012-13 model. If this is indeed the case, then that makes my musings a moot point.

You are indeed correct that software efficiency buys you much more than computing horsepower, but 6 years in computational technology is a very long time in regard to hardware.

You will note that I mentioned that the KPA 1.0 would be relevant for a long time to come. That's because of Kemper's commitment to continuous improvement of their software. I was wondering if perhaps they had designed the Kemper hardware with thoughtfulness for hardware upgrades.