Posts by hartgtrz

As I am getting to know my KPA UNPWR rack, I have a question about the pure cab and space features.

Since the pure cab is global, at what value are you using for your sound?

Space feature... I am running IEM during my shows. I have chosen to run the KPA via the main outs into a Behringer Eurorack to be able to IEM in stereo. I plan on using the direct out set to master mono to run the the FOH as I only have room for 1 gtr input on the board in most situations (9pc band). There will be some larger shows where I can run stereo to FOH, but that is a limited amount of gigs.

question...

will the space effect only be present on signal from the main outs only?

if I run the monitor and direct outs as a stereo pair to the FOH, will space affect be present on those sends?

Lastly, should I use the DIRECT OUT or the MONITOR OUT for my mono FOH feed?

Having 1 cord to power the remote is great as others have mentioned. The ability to have 4 separate controllers (I only use 2) is nice (if you have room on your board :)). It works flawlessly (for me), just disable the looper for live use, or assign the looper button to control another parameter (i have it set up for delay hold). I don't think it is over sized for what it does, as some midi or analog boards can be huge enough that you almost need to step sideways to get to all the buttons or "tippy-toe" to upper levels hoping not to activate the wrong switch(s). You can set up morphing (sans exp pedals) using the 5 lower switches if you don't have room for additional exp pedals.

Cons...I think the design was well thought out, however I do agree that lighted numbers on the unit would have been an improvement. The LED screen is smaller than some of the competition out there.

IMHO, it is a must have if using the KPA live. After using very large pedal boards for years, less is more for me (size/footprint vs functionality). This thing just gets it done without having to run 3 or 4 cables from an analog floor board to amp/ EFX loop which makes it fast, easy and efficient and decreases the possibility of a bad cable between pedals or out to the amp issues or loss of signal with large boards loaded with multiple pedals.

My best advice would be to look at this in a "back to basics" approach. For your situation, the signal chain to consider is:

hands-guitar-rig

it could be technique (hands)

it could be the guitar (neck/string setup, string gauge/ pickups, etc.)

or the rig (gain stage/ amp selection, compression settings, efx chain)

If it is your hands, practice is the solution

if its the guitar, try a different setup, string gauge, etc

if its the rig, try to solve with compression or gain stage

quite often its a combination of all three IMHO.

I've found that a modulation setting (chorus/flange) that is too intense can be a problem also. If you have the ability to post a video of what you are having problems with, I am sure there are many experienced players here that would offer advice on how to solve your problem. happy shredding.

Welcome. Having owned about every product from L6 over the years and being a Roland V-guitar player, I can relate to the pain of endless tweeking. Crafting patches is a lot of work, but can be rewarding if you have the time to invest. The main reason I love the KPA is the simplicity of getting really great sounds quickly and almost effortlessly. For me, the KPA is like working with a real amp/cab/pedal board setup. I already know what type of delays and reverbs my ears like hearing. With the lock function, I have the ability to have my "pedal board" and instantly run that thru a myriad of amps via rig exchange or saved/ purchased profiles in my unit. It makes for a super simple and fast auditioning process across a broad range of amp profiles. I am also using Rig exchange to see how others setup tones/ cabs/EFX. Couple all these benefits with warm sounding, dynamic responding amp tones...winning!:P

When setting up performances, I run the main out signal to cubase and level all patches to about -3dB using a dB meter. solo patches (morphing or exclusive) are set for a 0dB out to avoid clipping sent the the board. Once that is complete, I usually go back and make slight adjustments by ear as some profiles cut thru more than others. if you don't have a daw, you can do this with outboard equipment. your sound man will appreciate getting consistent signal over a variety of patches/performances. post eq can be used to "fine tune" the levels to insure all your performances sit evenly in the mix. Depending on how many different profiles you plan to use, this may take some time but will be well worth it in the end.

Wheresthedug... good points. I play in a 9 piece band with a horn line. Stereo main mix doesn't make much sense for this project. My projects normally rely on hired sound. I have been in groups that did the stereo main mix. It was great- in some rooms. A hard panned main mix can only satisfy so many ears in the audience. Phase cancellation is another hurdle to deal with. That said, I love playing/ montoring in stereo. I use a rack mount mixer that I send my guitar and vocal to in stereo. The band aux/ monitor mix usually comes back to me in balanced mono. Since I am using IEM 100% of the time, I get a stereo mix from my gtr and vox, while the rest of the band is in mono in my IEM mix. I have found it is a good way to have control over what you hear on stage, no matter who is running sound. This system eliminates 2 major problems for me: being told to turn down and always hoping the monitor tech can get you what you need. As long as the band aux mix is balanced, you can add your gtr and vox and achieve a good stereo-esk monitor mix independently.

We are on the same page. I don't use much chorus or modulation in any of my guitar patches. The only song I currently use chorus on is Lets stay together cover we do. Not because the original recording has chorus on the guitar, but it just sounds nice to my ears in that particular song. When I use it, it is always very subtle. IMO, too much chorus ruins a good guitar sound, but that's just me. I tend to use modulated delays as they sound more "airy" and do not affect the touch sensitivity of my performance. To my ears, a chorus pedal (or block) before or after the amp kills the original tone of the guitar/amp voicing .

I made the jump to Kemper about 2 weeks ago and am very happy so far. I have been a performing guitarist for nearly 40 years. My first road experience came in the early 80's; grew my hair out, donned some leather and eye liner (oh God!) and hit the road with 2 JCM 800's, A Jackson RR1 custom shop and a charvel strat, a TS808, a chorus and delay pedal. What a glorious time that was. When L6 hit the market, I went with it and have owned just about every piece of gear they put out there, (bean, flextone, Vetta, HD500x, etc.). a year ago I picked up a Helix. I didn't keep it very long. I was really disappointed with it. For me , it was not a big jump from the tones I was getting from my HD500x. I also have done the guitar synth thing for a long time. I have a Roland ready strat and a Godin xtsa. Both trigger Roland V synth gear very well. At one point (for a gig I did for 2 years), I used the GR55 to FOH, monitored via in-ear for all my guitar tones and synth, strings pads, keyboard sounds. Actually, if I really thought about it, I could write another paragraph or 2 on all the gear I've owned over my tenure as a guitarist- I am sure many of you could say the same.

For the last 3 years I have primarily been performing with my Mesa Mark 5/35 (a great amp). I also have a 64 deluxe reverb that rarely leaves the studio and also a Bugera V22 (a surprisingly good little amp- probably the best spent $400 on an amp I have ever made). The Bugera has found a home at my church so I don't have to lug it back and forth, the 5/35 goes out with me for $ gigs.

So, all this brings me to the Kemper. I am beginning to understand why many are calling this unit a game changer. I really respect and appreciate the thought that went into engineering this unit. Many of my desires and disappointments with a "rig" seem to be answered- so far. For my use, the morphing feature alone is worth the cost of the unit. The tones I can get are simply astounding to my ears. I bought some MB and Top Jimi profile packs and am very impressed with the recreation/ capturing of the amps. The remote is excellent as well. Bottom line, there is not much I would change (at this point) that could make the unit more valuable to me. Of course that may change lol, we'll see.

I would like to see a dedicated editor that can be run via USB instead of midi. FWIW, Roland did not make an editor for the GR55 either, but I used a 3rd party editor that made crafting rigs/patches less cumbersome. Some have said that the efx need upgrading (reverbs), but what the Kemper currently offers does the job for me.

I plan on working with the unit for another month or so before I take it out to gigs. I plan on in-ear monitoring only and go direct to the FOH after I get comfortable with it. I will post a pic of how I am using it in my rack once I get everything put together. I would welcome any feedback.

I have been lurking around these forums for a while gathering info and convincing myself to pull the trigger on this unit. I am glad I did. There is a lot of experienced people on these boards with mostly good (and respectable) info that is valuable. It has been a good place to start for me and want to thank you for helping me take the leap (oh, my poor mesa, will it ever leave the house again?). Cheers!