Posts by MikeKatanaFX7

Hello KPA Experts,

I recently received my PowerRack, a second-hand purchase, with the intention of using it to drive and play through my Orange 2x12, and am really struggling to find a nice clear, aggressive tone and I’m 100% sure I’m doing something wrong - I first found this with the factory profiles included, so since, I’ve bought an STL Jon Deily packer which includes direct profiles but still seem to give a fuzzy/synthetic lacklustre tone. My setup is

KPA PowerRack

Speaker cable from dedicated speaker output on KPA to one of the inputs on the back of the Orange 2x12

Instrument cable into my 7 string

I have Monitor Cab checked and the direct profiles do not have a cab simulation option, any other profiles I usually disable cab sim.

In order to get a better tone, and assuming there’s nothing else I’m doing wrong, is it just a matter of using the EQ to get what I need?

I know this thing is extremely powerful and maybe I’m struggling to comprehend it but it is awfully underwhelming when the tone I had on a cheap Line 6 combo sounds better than what I have coming out of my KPA through a Orange 2x12.

Hi Kemper Experts,

I’m very close to making my purchase on a KPA after hours of research and advice/opinions, some of which have been a little conflicting, so here’s a little insight into the end goal.

Use 1: I want to use this for home/writing and band practice and play through an Orange 2x12 (120w @ 16ohms)

Use 2: I want to gig/tour with it and either go direct to the desk/FOH or play through my 2x12 for venues or areas who may not offer monitors/PA etc

NOW

Given my intention to both tour/get around a bit with gear and play through an Orange 2x12 (of which I’ve been heard both good and bad feedback), I’ve been recommended the powerhead rack version. Correct?

From here, I’m wondering:

1. Will there be any issues with the KPA driving my cab of choice? I get lost at watts and ohms and have heard feedback such as not being loud enough at a practice or risk blowing the cab. I know monitors are the way to go but I’m yet to open my mind and am stuck in my ways with a cab after purchasing my 2x12.

2. The powered rack comes in the mail, yay, is there anything else required other than speaker cables to be able to just whip her out of the box and start playing through the cab straight away?

3. This is a more gear/new user type question, but will the powered unit power anything else in my end rig/rack (KPA Powerhead, wireless unit, rack tuner, Orange 2x12) goal or will I need additional bits and bobs with anything outside of the KPA - I was recommended a power conditioner (Furman) to power/regulate power to the other components of the rack. Would I need something else to power the Wireless/Tuner etc?

Just to reiterate, I’m wanting to run a rack setup for home and touring use consisting of a KPA powerhead, wireless unit, rack tuner driving though a Orange 2x12.

Cheers and thank you for your patience!

When you say to power the lot, the Matrix just powers your speakers (Orange 2x12), not the rest of of your gear. Normally in the rack situation that you listed above, someone would also purchase a 1u rack power conditioner, like a Furman for example. You could then plug your Kemper, wireless, Matrix and rack tuner into the back of it inside the rack case, to save having to utilize a power strip.

Hope this helps and I'm not adding any confusion.

.... so the Matrix doesn’t power the unpowered Kemper? Huh.

I’m in Australia, happy to pay shipping - preferably UK models, unsure about how a step-down converter would go with US models (if you know something about this, please elaborate!)

Hey again experts,

I’m not too far away from purchasing a KPA Unpowered rack and I’m relatively new to gear outside of a combo amp, so I was just wondering if the power amp I’m eyeing off will be enough for my end-goal rig?

The power amp I’ve been recommended is the Matrix GT800FX which I’ll need shipped from the US given I’m based in AUS. The 1000FX is only a few hundred extra too.

Is this enough to power:

Unpowered KPA Rack Unit

Wireless Rack Unit

Orange 2x12

Potential rack tuner

I’m just a bit lost if there’s something else I need or this power amp is able to power the lot I’ve listed above.

Cheers!

Mike

Just looking at power amps now guys, the MatrixGT800FX looks like a good choice but will this power both the unpowered rack and an Orange 2x12?

The 2x12 will be mostly for home use, but will be taken to venues that don’t have decent FOH monitors etc

I get a bit lost at the whole power amp side of things, but my end goal rig will be the unpowered rack Kemper, wireless rack unit, maybe another rack tuner and the Orange 2x12.

One power amp enough?

Thats nuts!

Can this thing like auto-enable effects on and off during parts of a song if I’m playing to a click?

Thanks guys, I think I’ll just go the unpowered rack version and just settle for a rack-rig, just needed a few opinions to help me settle my mind!

Looking forward to seeing what this thing can do.

Hi experts,

I’ve been eyeing off a Kemper for quite some time now after all the amazing things I’ve heard, and am upgrading from my beginner gear when I first started out playing guitar/shows.

Firstly, I’m eyeing off the unpowered unit, the powered unit is just out of my reach.

With that being said, I really like the look of the toaster version, but having to buy a separate power amp, does this mean I’m better off going for a rack version?

In the long run, my rig will include a unpowered Kemper, power amp and wireless unit along with an Orange 2x12 for home use (or venues/sites who don’t have FOH/PA)

Am I better off just going for a rack set up? I imagine having a separate wireless, power amp and Kemper all sitting on top of a cab would look somewhat silly, but I really like that toaster version.

Any advice would be great :)

Mike :)