Posts by urbanvictim

Nice work Allen, that's really awesome stuff and very helpful. Is the wireless access point mandatory or could you just hook the switch up to the home network and therefore existing wifi with an ethernet cable?

OK. I don't have a Stage so only have one Loop rather than the two you have. In general terms I don't think it will matter whether use Loop 1 or 2 to connect as you can place either of them anywhere in the signal chain on a rig by rig basis.

Nice one thank you. Would you use the loop mono or loop distortion option in the loop?

I’m not suggesting NOT using your actual amp but rather saying that trying to hook everything up in a single system is more hassle than its worth. When I want to use a real amp I use it. When I want to use a profile I use it. But trying to set everything up as a single permanently wired solution is often more trouble than just unplugging a few cables when require.

this is good advice and probably where I will get to eventually. Doing so earlier would have certainly saved me at least many tens of hours messing around with preserving tone and isolating noise etc over the last few years. However for right now I have everything pretty much installed and just need to connect the amp into signal path so will be simpler to identify where to insert it rather than tearing it all down and starting from scratch. I have a kemper kabinet and signal tapped off to an interface for DI so it’s important I preserve some of the setup. The question also will eventually become how do I integrate my different amps when I want to use them as I will likely at some point want to take a DI and record and even if a temporary setup that question will still come up. This is why I am trying to understand if it’s more appropriate to plumb an amp into send 1 or send 2 and whether to use the distortion or loop option.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense once I have got to the point where I have settled on particular tones and want to perform, but in the meantime why would I not use my actual amp if I have it? Particularly if I can switch it in and out easily by using the loop module button on the Kemper.

Thanks for the comments. I don’t really play live at the moment and it’s more an experimentation and recording rig. The tube amp is because I want that particular sound for the most part but with the ability to bypass it and use one of several other software and hardware preamp and cab combinations that I have including those in the Kemper.

I heard back from Kemper who confirmed the returns are balanced to that answers my FX rack question but still not sure whether external amps would be better inserted into the send 1 or send 2 chain from the Kemper and whether to use the distortion or loop mono setting etc

Hi

I have a Kemper stage and currently designing external equipment signal flow, but not sure which loops to use and in which configuration and hoping someone can help me. Put simply I have a pedal board, a tube amp and a some hardware FX in a rack (EVENTIDE H3000, Lexicon MPX 1)

My thinking is it would be best to take the Kemper send 1 output to the pedal board and then the output of that to my tube amp and then take the tube amp send to return 1 on the kemper in loop mono mode as the first stage. Then for wet FX connecting the Kemper send 2 to the input of the external rack and then taking the balanced output of the FX rack back to the Kemper return 3/4 in stereo loop mode? Not sure if I would need to do some sort of conversion, or amplify the fx output separately or whether the Kemper FX Returns would happily accept the balanced signal etc.

Thanks in advance anyone who can help shine some light on this

Steve

+1 for metronome. A ubiquitous musician tool for hundreds of years and not complicated to implement. Don’t understand a lot of the arguments against it in this thread, most are not even logically consistent.

Thanks for continuing to respond, appreciated. I may not have articulated the issue as well as I could have. Let me simplify:

1. I am using an output set to DLY/REV to get only the FX isolated

2. I used an external FX loop for delay and reverb etc

3. When using internal FX on one of the last 2 modules I can hear them through the DLY/REV out as expected and can switch between then fine

4. However if I set my external FX loop in either of the last 2 modules, it only comes through the DLY/REV output when the other is enabled and has an effect in it

5. The only way I have found to work around this is to turn the routing in rig settings to somewhere around 50%, but this means dry signal bleeding into the DLY/REV output at all times even when the modules are off

Conclusion: Why is it not possible to use an external loop in one of the last 2 modules and also hear it through the DLY/REV out without having the other module also populated with an internal effect?

I would expect that when enabling either or both FX modules that these would come through the DLY/WET output as they do from a Master Stereo output and that the routing set to zero would essentially do nothing (instead of muting both through the DLY/WET output as it does)

Thanks for the reply, but my problem is literally that this does not happen as expected. I upgraded from V7 to V8 software and I can now get something from the DLY/REV outputs, but only if I go into rig routing and turn the dial clockwise, but I get both together or one, but nothing if I turn left. Seems like a bug which has been partially fixed in latest update but not completely.

Yes there are a few things which have worked for me:

1. A good power conditioner, such as one from Furman with proper noise reduction features (IE mid to high end ones)

2. "Plug in mains conditioner" from Tacima (see amazon) They also do a 6 way extension but that didn't have as much effect as the other two items I mentioned but is much cheaper and has multiple uses.

3. You can also try turning off everything in your house and turning them back on one by one to see if you can narrow down the source

Please contact Kemper support with your request re factory reset. They will send you precise procedure how to do it. What is written above in this thread is just cleaning procedure not deep factory reset. I know the correct procedure which is slightly different for Stage and rest of product portfolio but I think support guys want to have control about this so I am not going to disclose it.

Thank you Vjelen for the reply, that is a relief to know. I have already raised that support request along with another question so fingers crossed :)

Hi guys

If anyone can help me with this I would massively appreciate it as driving me absolutely bonkers.

Essentially I have 2 working external FX loops which I can hear fine through any output set to anything other than DEL/REV. However if I set an output to "DEL/REV" to get only the FX output in isolation, I hear nothing. This is when either the DEL or REV modules have an external FX loop assigned (any type, lower or upper) and the routing option in RIG settings doesn't help.

The FX do come through the DEL/REV outputs when the last 2 modules are set to internal FX, just not the external FX loops. The manual suggests this should work but have tried everything I can think of and no joy so far :(

Anyone had experience with this or able to replicate the problem? If nothing else to put me out my misery

Thanks in advance

Steve

I had success on this with the following steps:

1. Test the mains outlet by plugging equipment in elsewhere and make sure no equipment connected together if plugged into seperate outlets or double/triple plugs. Or use a mains noise tester to see if issues in the house (for me my aircon created massive noise on the lines when on)

2. Use only a few very short leads you know work to rule out cabling

3. Try disconnecting all other connections (for me there was a ground loop from the connected SPDIF output)

4. Try the ground lift options in output settings to see if that helps or changes anything

Also worth mentioning that I tried the reset procedure above and it didn't work, all my locked preferences on modules and routing are still there. Hence not being able to restore everything to full factory settings makes troubleshooting issues really difficult. In my case the delay module doesn't route externally and very hard to narrow down where the problem is without being able to reset everything to default. Very odd as the norm on every other bit of digital equipment I have ever owned.

There really should be a shortcut factory reset or option in Rig Manager for this. My Kemper Stage has **** the bed a couple of times and needed to be reset. Might well have been user error both times, but useful option regardless even just for troubleshooting.