RE AMPING with the best sound quality

• I read a few posts on RE AMPING. I think I have it down. Although I mentioned one thing to a Kemper support guy and he agreed.

The post I read said when you are reamping set your SPIDIF output to "stack, so you don't get the clean channel"

I asked the Kemper support person "wouldn't it be better to output "Main Outs" on the spidif so you can record a true stereo channel coming back out of the Kemper (I know you are feeding only the clean channel in) that way you can record stereo effects. If you are not using stereo effects I guess it wouldn't matter.....but!

Is one better than the other. Does setting the SPIDIF on stack output a single mono track or a stereo track bounced into mono,
    or is the "Stack" out a stereo channel.

Which SPIDIFoutput setting do you use for re-amping and why?

Thanks for your input. I'll just take the clean channel (joke)

• what would be the point of recording a stereo signal for reamping when the input of the Profiler is mono?
    The classic mode for reamping is GIT/STACK-that mode will give you a clean signal on one channel and the Stacksound on the other channel.
    The STacksignal is mono anyway-the signal gets stereo after the Stack in the effects section.

You can keep the stack channel for reference and the clean channel for reamping.
    At least thats the way i do it.

• hi folks, i had a lot of trouble with reamping. ingolf gave me a couple of tipps here .
    with his help i wrote this little tutorial here .
    i have to add though that now - that i have understood reamping finally - i use "master stereo" as the SPDIF output.
    i create a new stereo track in my DAW (cubase with roland quad) and do have the best sound of my live. KPA is amazing! :thumbup:

cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• "what would be the point of recording a stereo signal for reamping when the input of the Profiler is mono?
    The classic mode for reamping is GIT/STACK-that mode will give you a clean signal on one channel and the Stacksound on the other channel.
    The STacksignal is mono anyway-the signal gets stereo after the Stack in the effects section".

I'm not talking about recording the take that you are going to use for re amping.!!!

I'm talking about the recording you are making WHILE you are in the process of re-amping the clean (gut) channel you are sending into the KPA. I'm talking about the final recording after you have selected the amp you want use for the final recording...and then say use delay......wouldn't you want to record a stereo track into your DAW? ,,,,a stereo track that comes out of the Kemper in stereo through the Spidif to record your final take.....after you have made your tweaks.

• I'm using Git/Stack when re-amping.
    I am no friend of recording stereo and, if you have a closer look, even the guys that are known for their heavy use of FX like The Edge, Andy Summers or Jonny Buckland of Coldplay, mostly record in mono.
    Mono all the way. Like in a cooking book, add a bit of a stereo effect later here and there from your DAW, but the true beauty of a stereo image is made up from several instruments panned intelligently over the whole spectrum.

Also, but this is more of a philosophical point of view, I strongly believe you should commit to a recording as early in the process as possible. You will create better performances if you know what sound you want before recording.
    I totally see the benefits that you can have from reamping and I always record a clean track as well.
    But I rarely ever use it because I try to educate myself to know what sound I want before hitting the record button.

• "what would be the point of recording a stereo signal for reamping when the input of the Profiler is mono?
    The STacksignal is mono anyway-the signal gets stereo after the Stack in the effects section".

I'm not talking about recording the take that you are going to use for re amping.!!!

I'm talking about the recording you are making WHILE you are in the process of re-amping the clean (gut) channel you are sending into the KPA. I'm talking about the final recording after you have selected the amp you want use for the final recording...and then say use delay......wouldn't you want to record a stereo track into your DAW? ,,,,a stereo track that comes out of the Kemper in stereo through the Spidif to record your final take.....after you have made your tweaks.

Now i understand-as Ingolf said-i prefer recording my guitar mono and dry and add stereo effects later on in the mix from my DAW.
    Using the same reverb on most instruments and vocals seems to glue the mix better.
    The only time i might record a stereosignal from the Profiler is when using the delay or any of the mod effects in the X or MOD position.

• That sounds logical. Only there is this...

I have read that in the final stage of re-amping.... why not set the output SPIDIF to "Stack" only. You don't need the dry signal again if you already have it. That is one suggestion of KPA support.

Also the effects...especially delay really effect how you play...so you will be playing the track without the feel of delay....even reverb effects how you play.

But I do see your point. Some of the reverbs and delays in the DAW ARE probably better than the KPA.

I also agree with your point about the need to RE AMP. I will record a dry track, but it is much more efficient to select your final amp sound before even recording the track. Why add the extra layer of work which can be quite time consuming?

So if you are doing the original take with SPDIF set to GUT/Stack....you can use the Stack track as your final take if you like it...provided you are not using stereo effects IN the KPA.

The Spidif STACK outputs the best and fullest sound out of the Kemper.....is this correct?

Obviously is you were doing a final track WITH stereo effects in the KPA you would THEN set the SPIDIF to "Main Stereo Out"
    of course you would have no clean track....but this would be the final track anyway.

My LP collector friends always wore buttons that said "BACK TO MONO"

I have lots of Beatles and Stones records that were released in mono.

• That sounds logical. Only there is this...
    I have read that in the final stage of re-amping.... why not set the output SPIDIF to "Stack" only. You don't need the dry signal again if you already have it. That is one suggestion of KPA support.

That's correct and the recommended way to do it.

Also the effects...especially delay really effect how you play...so you will be playing the track without the feel of delay....even reverb effects how you play.

No, when you set SPDIF to GIT/STACK you record a dry signal and a stack signal. You can switch delays on, you will hear them (I always monitor the profiler directly) and play accordingly but they won't be recorded.

So if you are doing the original take with SPDIF set to GUT/Stack....you can use the Stack track as your final take if you like it...provided you are not using stereo effects IN the KPA.

Correct.

The Spidif STACK outputs the best and fullest sound out of the Kemper.....is this correct?

That's also correct.

My LP collector friends always wore buttons that said "BACK TO MONO"
    I have lots of Beatles and Stones records that were released in mono.

Yes, I do EQing and compressing first while switching my mix to mono. Only after EQ and compressing is right I start to do the panning.
    It's soi mportant to have a strong mono mix. Doing further separation by panning later on is the icing on the cake.

• Thanks lngolf

I think that about covers everything....

I'll have to try adding some MONO production to the process.