Potential buyer. Help for setup at home.

• Hi folks,

I am looking to purchase a Kemper for home use. I play lead guitar through mostly tube amps for personal use and an occasional recording. I play high-gain mostly and currently have a Carvin Legacy 3 through a V30 2x12 cab. I also have an Ampeg VH150 solid state which I will never get rid of. In the past, I also enjoyed Marshall JVM channel 2 tones but had to sell the Marshall because I was killing my hearing! The only power amp I have is an Alesis 100 driving a monitor setup that I use for PC use and occasionally for a synth.

Can you please recommend what would be a good option for me for power/speaker combo? Will I be happy just getting the power head Kemper and going into the 2x12 v30 for my type of playing? I also know nothing about FRFR amps and what sort of speakers I would get.

Any advice on hardware configurations would be greatly appreciated. Price is not a huge consideration. I just want to get a good sound. My alternative is to buy another am and I am considering the Bogner Ecstasy, but am worried again about volume and hearing.

I do no playing outside my room and probably never will.

Thank you!

-T

• Oops. I see that what you are recommending is an amp/ speaker. Sorry I don't know anything about this area. Thanks again. -T

• Good set of self powered studio monitors sound great. Only downside is they are typically locked in your studio so not mobile.
    To play out you need either something similar to the atomic, or in ears being fed from a mixing board, etc. or cab and amp.

Any of these options will be a gift to your long term hearing :)

Sean

• I do also use KRK VXT4 at home.. and I am more than happy with the sound :)

ps: if you buy KEMPER you will have no more problems with your hearing and you will be able to play also at the midnight hour or during the whole night having Great sound and not disturbing your neighbours.. :thumbup:

• I'll just echo what the above have said. I use studio monitors (Focal CMS65's), and it sounds fantastic, and more than enough volume for my noodling at home.

Also, the kemper is the first device I've had that has made headphones sound okay (not great, I mean, they are headphones, but I've always thought guitar sounded totally crap through headphones... so "ok" is a vast improvement).

• Tbh, if you're just playing in your room, powered monitors with the Kemper will be far kinder to your hearing and your neighbours. But there will probably be a mindset issue for you at first..... If you're using a Carvin legacy in your room and are considering a Bogner Ecstacy for the same purpose then you obviously like something that removes the plaster from the walls :)

I only have a 1x12 at home and, with children's bedtimes, it's been hard to use even that on a regular basis with a 7w valve amp as it makes the windows shake. Incidentally, I gigged that amp in an 8 piece band! At home, I usually used this amp through a dummy load and then went straight into Redwirez impulses so I'm well used to hearing 'guitar through monitors' vs hearing 'guitar through cabinet'. For this reason, the Kemper was an instant hit with me as I wasn't fighting my own guitarist instinct that 'I must have a cabinet with big speakers in it'.

Being able to have the monitor speakers loud (but not painful or antisocial) and getting sweet spots of any amp you like is wonderful.

• First, thanks to everyone who has responded.

I will have to look at these options but having played through a 2x12 cab for 30 years now, I am having a hard time accepting that I can get similar sound through studio monitors.

I wish there was some store where one could try these options out.

Either way, I better order the Kemper! :)

-T

• I demo my Kemper (through cheap Behringer 'Truth' studio monitors) for many guitarists who have never played at home through studio monitors, they usually play big mighty tube amps at home.

Problem is, once they start playing the Kemper through studio monitors I can't get them to leave my place, they just play and play and play until eventually I have to show them the door...they say playing the Kemper is "addictive". :huh: :)

Having said that, if money wasn't an object I guess I'd have two CLRs and two good studio monitors connected to my Kemper all the time.

• Problem is, once they start playing the Kemper through studio monitors I can't get them to leave my place, they just play and play and play until eventually I have to show them the door...they say playing the Kemper is "addictive".

fantastic!! and absolutely true.. maybe one day some new disease as KEMPERHOLISM will be discovered.. hehe.. :D

• I use the Equator D5s at home... they sound fantastic (with or without the KPA! :D).

I'm also on the 'list' for an Atomic CLR (patience my dear boy).

The D5s are plenty for home use.

Peace...
    bluzkat