Help - How do I retrieve profiles I created?

• Hello fellow KPA-ers,

I am glad to be back here in the Kemper community. I was an early user of the KPA, and I profiled a number of my boutique amps (PWE Event Horizon, Friedman modified Marshalls, Bogners, Mike Fortin modified Marshalls, etc), which I intended on uploading to the rig exchange. However, 18 months ago I had a bit of a crisis, and I had to sell almost all of my gear, including my KPA. I did a backup of all files on my KPA at the time, and I have that stored safely in several different locations (2 computers and 2 flash drives). Fast forward to today - I have a new KPA, but I'm trying to figure out how I can get my profiles out. I just looked at the backup file, and the profiles are not listed individually. Instead, there is just a 1.6 MB file with a .kpabackup extension (and the kaos.bin file in the OS Update folder). It was done early last year, so it's on OS 1.0.4.

I never got the chance to upload them anywhere before I had to sell my KPA. ;( How can I get them now? Thanks for your help. I promise to actually upload them, if I can get them out. :thumbup:

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• First you have to rename the suffix .kpabackup to .tar. Now decompress the backup file. You'll see a folder with your profiles. Put the profiles your want to use in the 'share' folder of an USB stick that has been formatted in the KPA.
    Now you can Import them.
    You could also restore your previous KPA status by restoring the whole backup file. In this case there is no renaming and decompressing necessary.

• Alternatively, you can use 7zip to open the back up file and extract individual rigs then put them on a usb stick for transfer to the kpa as per the previous post.

• ;) Actually that's what I suggested in the first half of my post... ;)

Success!!!! 96 profiles recovered.

Thanks guys :thumbup:

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Ahem.... So about those profiles being uploaded.....:D

Yes indeed! I'm off to rehearsal now, but I'll have them up tonight.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

• Awesome! Looking forward to the Friedman and definitely the Fortin stuff, not enough of those going around AT ALL! what did you use for these as far as mics, cabs, interface etc if you don't mind me asking?

• Also, if you plan to share all 96, or a large number, maybe consider just posting them here in a winzip file :)

Thanks, and that's a good idea. However, many of these 96 are different mic positions or amp settings of the same amp. The number I end up posting will be much smaller.

I'm going through the profiles right now and putting together a list of the best stuff (IMHO, of course!). I'll post a thread with a link once they are up.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

• Awesome! Looking forward to the Friedman and definitely the Fortin stuff, not enough of those going around AT ALL! what did you use for these as far as mics, cabs, interface etc if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, I missed this question yesterday.

I mic-ed all profiles with a Sennheiser 421 with the bass selector set to 3 (middle setting, 3 of 5). The cab was a Dimebag 4x12 loaded with well broken-in Marshall labeled Vintage 30s. This cab is highly underrated, as it really has great low end that pairs up well with the V30s mid bump. The mic went through my Mackie board, and I used 3 different mic positions, angled on center, midway between center and edge, and edge of cone. Usually, it was the middle of those 3 that sounded the best. The exception was the Friedman JMP. His amps tend to be dark, so on a few of his (but not all), I used the center of the speaker mic profile.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

Edited 2 times, last by Desiato ().