Problems with MIDI CC

• I recently started to play around with controlling my Kemper via MIDI using a PC and DAW software (Reaper in this case). The goal is to have a nice MIDI lane in the click track/sample track setup of our band to automatically control changes during gigs (bye bye stomp-dance :) ).

I went with the MIDI documentation and focused on the CC message list at the end of it (not Sysex and whatever the other thing was called; don't know what it is and for now, I assume that don't need it, if you don't tell me differently).

I want to have one or more performances in performance mode with different slots for different purposes (like clean, higain, lead). Switching them using CC messages 50-55 works like a charm. But I also had some problems:

- Tuner on does not work properly for me. Tuner on seems fine as long as Reaper is in "play" mode. As soon as it is stopped (which will happen during a live gig after every song), it will switch back off. Could somebody please explain this to me? I'm really not an expert and I thought those CC messages where kind of one-shot things happening at one distinct point in time? I switched off MIDI reset messages after "stop" in Reaper, but maybe I have to tick something else to make it work? Any ideas?

(Would like to switch to tuner at the end of each song to be able to tune while our singer is announcing the next song etc.)

- Tuner off kicks me out of performance mode. I have to use the chicken head knob to get back into it.

- X on (don't remember CC and value, but I double-checked it in my track): shows an error message suggesting that the X slot is empty and kicks me out of performance mode (the slot was not empty, it contained the Studio EQ).

- For all other (Mod, Delay, Reverb): Same problem as with Tuner on; as soon the track stops, they are reset to off.

- Can I somehow set the tempo for delay in my MIDI lane? That would be awesome.

Kemper OS Version is 2.0.1.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug? Any help is very much appreciated!

I'm really looking forward to using this thing live. But i'd like to have that sorted out first. I really want to get rid of any pedals and switches on stage, if possible.

• Dont know your DAW but it definitely sounds like it is still sending a reset for the CCs when the song stops.
    Instead of calling up the tuner with CC you could use MIDI Volume to control it. Send a value of zero at the end of the song-the tuner will show up. Send a volume of higher than zero at the beginning of the next song and the tuner disappears.
    You need to tell your DAW to send MIDI clock that will transmit the tempo information to the Profiler.

• Thanks, that might help a lot!

Dont know your DAW but it definitely sounds like it is still sending a reset for the CCs when the song stops.

Ok, then I guess it is time to dig deeper regarding Reaper then!

Instead of calling up the tuner with CC you could use MIDI Volume to control it. Send a value of zero at the end of the song-the tuner will show up. Send a volume of higher than zero at the beginning of the next song and the tuner disappears. You need to tell your DAW to send MIDI clock that will transmit the tempo information to the Profiler.

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow. The Kemper will then take the tempo for each time-related effect? Well, I guess I can just try it out :)

• Just in case anybody else has this problem:

Using Volume CC (7) fixed my tuner issue. Setting it to 0 pops up the tuner and setting it back to 127 brings back the performance slot :)

About Reaper and CC reset messages: I found a thread on the Reaper forum talking about it. Seems like looped midi items cause resets, even though it is turned off in the options. Since I was copy/pasting small midi snippets for each command, I had this behaviour regularly. My solution was just to "glue" all snippets to one big midi item and turn off looping (right-click -> item properties).

Thanks again!

(btw.: did not check the last open problem with the X slot on/off yet; but maybe it was also related to me not knowing how to do things properly)

Edited once, last by Patrick ().

• glad you could fix it.
    your xslot prob could be related to the situation you were in when you edited the xslot. If you did that in performance mode you need to save the performance first before selecting slots over MIDI.
    Switching slots in a performance with the rig cursors is ok-changes applied to the rigs in the slots will survive that but if you use MIDI the edits get lost unless you store the performance first.