My setup & some questions...

• So, I am in the process of selling my original kemper and I purchased the power amp version. Previously, my kemper went straight through the PA system. Now that I have the power amp version, I purchased a Mesa 2x12 cab w/V30's. I know it is recommended to get an FRFR cab, but, I wanted a nice cab in my studio just to have, not specifically for the kemper. Now... I have the following outputs.... I have disabled "Cab sim on monitor" since this disables the cab for both monitor & poweramp. So now I have Poweramp -> Mesa 2x12, SPDIF -> Audio interface, Main out (Left) -> PA System.

This setup lets me hear the sound several different ways... 1. Through the cab (No cab sim), 2. Through software monitoring in my DAW (which also goes to PA), 3. Direct to PA w/cab sim on.

So, using one of the Deizel profiles from amp factory, I compared the cab sound to the direct PA sound. They are much different... the PA sound is much fuller than the 2x12 cab sound and has much more low end. Big fat chunky palm mutes get that great, deep sound through the PA, but, its just not quite there through the cab.

I realize the Diezel cab, is probably modeled after some 4x12 cab, which is not comparible to my 2x12. Do you think it is THIS fact alone that attributes to the extra chunkyness? I am a "bit" skeptical about disabling cab sim. The profiles are taken with the cab in place, I do not see how it could be accurately "removed" from the profile. I think the kemper, with the entire rig enabled accurately reproduces the sound of the recorded amp, but, I do not have much faith in how accurate the sound is with the cab disabled...

Has anyone ever tried an experiment..... create a profile, play that profile back through a PA, then compare, the profile with cab sim off, through the original cab? Does it sound the same?

• I don't understand, you say "in the process"....have you received the poweramp version already, or are you still waiting for it?

I have it, I am in the process of SELLING the old one. The purchasing is done and in my possession. To make the question more simple... Does a profile sound the same with cab sim off, using original cab & all mic'd through the same paths as it does with cab sim on & no cab direct. Has this been tried and experimented with?

• Yes, in the early days, around January 2012, sheguitarplayer did just that test and was very impressed that his 5150 DI Profile (I think that was his amp at the time) sounded spot on with cab sims off using the same 5150 poweramp/cab.

It's been discussed many times, and the answer is no, cabs OFF does not remove the cab 100%...thing is, does it really matter?
    I'm surprised you're not happy with the amount of low end thump you're getting through a 2x12.
    I'm sure the PA has more low end thump on Andy's 4x12 Profile, but how does that sound when the bass player and drummer kick in?
    You could go for a 4x12 if you want more low end, or, have you increased the mids and bass on the Monitor Out global EQ?

• Yea, its not exactly that i'm not "happy" with it, its just that the PA has MORE of it. Also, I am experiencing the "in the room" sound with my cab and the recorded sound with the PA, so, there is some grey area there. Also, there's the fact that the profile uses a 4x12 and I use a 2x12, and also the fact that i'm not even using the same cab brand/speakers as the profile. So, a lot of variables here, but still, the difference in sound is quite remarkable... I only spent an hour messing with stuff, I will continue messing with EQ on kemper & PA to see if I can get them close... Either way, I like playing through my 2x12, this difference wont deter me..