Question about FOH feed and FRFR

• Recent discussions have me wondering whether there is any difference/advantage to using the Monitor Out with my power amp and FRFR speaker live, when I send another XLR to the board direct. I'm using cab sims on my FRFR stage speaker too, so I have the same sounding signal going to FOH and my stage rig.

So, is there any difference? Should I continue to just use the Main Out XLRs, one to FOH and one to stage power amp/FRFR? Or is there a reason I should use Monitor Out for my stage rig, and only use the Main Out for FOH? Thanks.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Easy one: separing monitoring from mains allows you to use different eq's and therefore optimize both sounds

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Running through the monitor out for stage also allows you to control your stage volume.

I'm not sure I follow - my power amp settings control my stage volume.

Other than the option to run a separate EQ, is there any reason to use the monitor out for my stage rig?

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• If you run one main to FOH and and one to stage you'll have problems using any stereo fx (missing delay repetions, phasing issues, no panning with pitch fx...) and you also loose the chance of using a real cab on stage. There are a lot of good reasons to separate mains and stage monitoring, that's why the Monitor Out is there.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Depending on your setup you may choose to have your power amp at a certain level and adjust your monitor out via the top master volume knob on the Kemper separate from the XLR main (controlled by the Rig volume). If you do not operate that way then that would not be a benefit for you. If the other factors mentioned in the posts do not benefit you then there is nothing that would drive you to do one versus the other. You can run the main out to be summed mono as well so it all depends on what you would like to accomplish.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Recent discussions have me wondering whether there is any difference/advantage to using the Monitor Out with my power amp and FRFR speaker live, when I send another XLR to the board direct. I'm using cab sims on my FRFR stage speaker too, so I have the same sounding signal going to FOH and my stage rig.

So, is there any difference? Should I continue to just use the Main Out XLRs, one to FOH and one to stage power amp/FRFR? Or is there a reason I should use Monitor Out for my stage rig, and only use the Main Out for FOH? Thanks.

So you're running the Kemper poweramp into a passive "FRFR" on stage, with Cab Sims...not a guitar Cab with Cab OFF?

• So you're running the Kemper poweramp into a passive "FRFR" on stage, with Cab Sims...not a guitar Cab with Cab OFF?

Almost. I run a toaster with cab sims into a Crown XTi 4000 power amp into a passive FRFR speaker.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I don't run stereo effects or a separate EQ for stage and FOH, so it looks like there is no difference for me to run my stage rig via a main out. That is what I suspected, but I'm glad to have it confirmed.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

Edited once, last by Desiato ().