Tip: Great monitors - great profiles

• The used monitor system (speaker, placement, room) is also important to create great sounding profiles.

Why?
    It's the same as with pictures - if you use a bad (calibrated) monitor - and use e.g. Photoshop to adjust the colors, brightness, contrast ... to get a nice looking picture ...
    Then this picture may look nice on THIS ONE monitor - but very bad on all others - maybe even worse then the unchanged picture.

Why?
    In case your monitor shows the picture with to much 'red' - and you "optimize" the picture by reducing 'red' then the picture may look 'green' on a well calibrated monitor.

The same is true for sound.
    If you use a very bright monitor with a little bass - then you may tend to reduce treble and increase bass - or use microphones / a mic placement to get a profile with reduced treble and increased bass in the first place.

Unfortunately will this profile sound very dull and boomy on most other monitors.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• It would be interesting to do some kind of poll of user monitoring systems here. I expect the vast majority to be using relatively low end systems. Most likely £250 monitors with a £1200 kemper or similar. I'm not knocking it, budgets are budgets but in my experience most amp users pair a good head with a matching high quality cab but here alot of people seem to be satisfied with pretty low end monitors with their high end profiler

• hem ..In Medio stat Virtus..they say (not the middel finger I suppose:-)
    I had a strange setup, or not so common i suppose,
    using in my Studio a Powerd old Yamaha EMX 640 and 4 SR tecnology Club 150 I
    payed as the KPA)
    Quite Never crancked up of course, only when Trying Stage Volumes W/different Marshall cabs frm KPA monitor
    (CAB portion OFF) on AFD100 as Power amp (payed as the KPA)
    It's like LIVE in my Studio / Rehers room.

I agree that Monitors..cheap or Not are a very Important,
    I remember mixing the 1st official demo of my last band..it thakes HugeTime.
    Us continuing going in and out form our Rhers room to he cars, Listening what just mastered on CD, and taking notes for the next #n° Mixdown..
    We thougnh that Whoever Would have listen to oud CD Demo. it will be in his car...
    So unless tring to do a general Good Mix, and Master that Sound Good to any Device from cheap headphoens/mp3 to Hi-Fi Studio.
    more or less its the same here/now.. ^^^^

• Of course some decent studio monitors are not cheap. On the other hand you don´t have to spend 1000s of bucks since you´re probably not going to open up a mastering studio anyway. While you need a system that transports all frequency ranges nicely, i think that the most important aspect is to really know the sound of your speakers. It´s always a great idea to "calibrate" your ears before tweaking your rigs. Take a quality reference recording that you know in and out and play it though your monitors. Then lower the volume of the KPA until you can´t hear your self anymore against the recording. Then slowly increase the volume again until you nearly get the same level as the guitars in your reference recording. This helps judging your tone really a lot. It even works better when you are using a reamped guitar track so you don´t have to play yourself.

• Take a quality reference recording that you know in and out and play it though your monitors. Then lower the volume of the KPA until you can´t hear your self anymore against the recording. Then slowly increase the volume again until you nearly get the same level as the guitars in your reference recording. This helps judging your tone really a lot. It even works better when you are using a reamped guitar track so you don´t have to play yourself.

Yes this hepl
    do you mean with Master KPA, or rig Volume or ..???

• yes I agree, Mostly Rigs are at the same level (at least its upposed they Are, if not, Tweak them a bit With Rig or CAB Volume)
    but I wonder how many difference there may be if comparing
    (KPA main to FHO..KPA monitors for my stage adjustment ad Libitum)

-balance KPA from KPA's Master (leaving the Mixer input channels for KPA Both at 0db)
    -balance KPA from mixer's channels Input Levels (leaving KPA Master at 8 or 10)

I guess the 1st is more friendly for Mixerist.. the guy at Service...how do they name? FOH sound engeneers?
    let's say, I've Done my Sound in my studio FOH at 0 db (if any need to adjust is related to Room Reflections or Monitors Characteristics)
    theese are two channel, just Adjust them to This Room/FHO characteristic (that You're Always Working in and You know How it sound better that me of course)
    just leave the input Level fo this two channel at 0Db
    also if I have some Tracks from my KPA Aux in.. it's supposed it's already at the Right Volume..
    but maybe I'm wrong, cause they'd prefer to have a Hot signal to just level it out.
    Never asked this to anyone Honestly

• Most FOH engineers or Soundmen are usually happy with a normal healthy signal hovering around 0Vu (+4dBu) with an analogue desk. Digital feed with S/Pdif is asking for troubles across long distances unless they have a digital breakout box on stage. In this case anything around -18dBfs peaking at -6 would be ok.

Regarding monitors thankfully there are quite a few good choices in the budget range nowadays if you know where to look (or rather hear...) for a few hundred euros or look into the second hand market.

• Does anyone know if there is two profiles done by the same person with this process.

Profile1: profile the cab with the sound you like coming out of the cab.

Profile2: send the profile mic to a mixer and run a monitor off the mixer to another area. Then profile the amp when you get the sound you like out of the monitor and not the cab.

I just want to see the difference in the profiles that are made that way.

• Not sure I understand what you mean. A profile is a "fingerprint" of a whole chain, in its simplest form amp, cab, microphone, KPA therefore what you are profiling is the "recorded sound" if you wish. Getting a good profile needs some skills in choosing a good amp/cab pairing and then knowing where to place the microphone (or microphones) to achieve either the sound you are hearing or the one you have in your mind (i.e. being a bit creative if needed). Speaker to room interaction is also of fundamental importance (i.e. acoustics).

• I get most of that. Basically want to see two profiles with the only thing being changed are amp settings. Where 1 is profiled with the sound you like coming from the cab and 2 is profiled based on the sound you like coming from an external studio monitor that has the mic'd amp as the source.

It is not really supposed to prove anything, just something to try and see if and how the profiles differ.

Kind of a random test like the other one that refined using different guitars.

• I don't think I got the sense of this comparative test.
    one is profiled As I like..in studio or Live Just in front of my Cab
    the other one is profiled AS I like ON slage, Live, with FHO and stage Monitors?...les's say After the Sound Check?

• Did not mean to threadjack this topic, I just was wondering if anyone else had tried it out when profiling. Its not a big deal I will try it out myself whenever I feel like hauling the heavy combo in the house sometime.

• niether I,
    just to close the OT)
    I remeber I did a couple of profiles in front of 1x12 open isobox vs 4 x12 1960A used as monitor
    and the resutlts were that, as I made the sound In front of them tring taking a good balance with 'my' FOH
    and so more or less the same Kind of response from my cab (as Monitor)
    well
    when I play the proflies later I found them ''tweaked..on the contrary''.
    looking If they still are on RigExchange
    no.. I have to search them.