don't clip your EQs

• clips and rigs are up.

zip
    folder

the mp3 file is obviously the clip. I play the following rigs in order:

• a - how I have it now and like it. Tone is great - nice and smooth and squishy when I want it, but also a searing distortion. Exactly what I expect of this amp's tone.
    • g - this was an XTREME! test - I took my tone above and put 4 pre-EQ's - all with volume +5 db, along with setting the two post at +5 db, and cabinet at + 10.4 db. Then I rock back the volume knob almost all the way to nothing in order to get my output not clipping, and I use literally the lowest possible gain setting, which is still pretty hot, as you can hear. But on top of the tone, there keeps popping up a nasty sputtering type tone.
    • h - so I reduced the rig above to just one pre-eq with +5 db volume, and I added some gain to compensate. surprisingly, the sputtering from above is now MORE rampant here... hmm
    • i - I disable the post eqs, and compensate volume - signal is perfectly clean again.
    • j - I replace the two post eqs I was using with default, neutral Studio EQ's, and again jack up their volume parameters to max. NO SPUTTERING.

Granted, all of these examples are ridiculously extreme, and I don't think was really my problem before. i think i was just running a tad too hot on output, but it looked safer than what was actually safe - i now treat orange more like red, and things are fine.

Edit: broken links fixed