Different poweramp options?

• Hi all!

I see lots of people recomending the RV 300 or a matrix poweramp to go with the unpowered KPA's. I wondered what advantage they have over other PA poweramps? I have a really old peavey CS400 i've tried running my KPA through that and a cab with V30's in and it sounds AWESOME. Its way too heavy though so i'm looking at replacing it, i was looking at something cheap like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e400.htm

• It's hard to make out the differences of different power amps.
    In theory there should be none providing you're using a non- colouring poweramp with enough headroom.
    But in reality some poweramps feel better than others.
    This seems to be a given fact according to the findlings of lots of users.
    In the end it comes down to if a given signal chain sounds and feels great to YOU.

• The Camplifier is a great option for the head format. I recently got one (mono, 180W) and it sure delivers! Great solution. :thumbup:

• True, amps can sound very differently from each other. Not sure 200 bucks are worth the experience, but a Matrix GT 1000 (as others) can change your POW on amplification if the cab sounds good.
    Flatness of the response is just one of the elements which make a difference. Transient velocity, maximum impulsive power, average maximum power, phase rotations function of output impedance are all factors that change the feeling of your playing.

Apart from the weight issue, I'd probably not going to change a sound I love for a 200 $ amp tho.

:)

• True, amps can sound very differently from each other. Not sure 200 bucks are worth the experience, but a Matrix GT 1000 (as others) can change your POW on amplification if the cab sounds good.
    Flatness of the response is just one of the elements which make a difference. Transient velocity, maximum impulsive power, average maximum power, phase rotations function of output impedance are all factors that change the feeling of your playing.

Apart from the weight issue, I'd probably not going to change a sound I love for a 200 $ amp tho.

:)

POW??

Its worth baring in mind, that i intend to use the direct out for FOH. The amp+cab is for monitoring only, and in the shittest of venues where they don't mic stuff up. :)

• Point Of View :)

Well, if everything you are after is just a way to hear yourself on stage w/o the need of carrying a heavy amp with you, then probably any amp will do the tricks, provided there's enough power to drive your cab at enough volume!

I was responding to your question: "what advantage they have over other PA poweramps?", and the answer is "quality of sound" :)

• I see :)

Well, it's a bit different I guess.

From one hand, you're using a guitar cab. This kind of excludes amp linearity and fidelity as a needed quality. OTOH, since the overall amplitude response comes from the sum of amp's+cab's, you might actually find that a certain combination produces a sound you happen to love.

OTOH, this way you'll have no idea about how your sound translates to FOH, since the Main Out will most likely sound completely different. IOW, if you try your untouched patches through a more linear system (PA cabs for example) they will sound very differently. Basically, you don't have control about the sound you offer the mix desk. This may be a concern for you, or not.

Using a very good and linear power amp with your cab would give you a different sound for sure which you might find more pleasant or not, but would not solve the translate-to-FOH issue anyway.

• Translation to FOH isn't a concern, at home i monitor the signal that'll be getting sent to FOH through flat studio monitors :)