PSA: Turn Your Clean Sense DOWN If Using KPA To Track DIs.

• I am recording an album and using the DI output of the Kemper to capture my DIs for re-amping later. My friend Keith Merrow alerted me to the fact that the KPA will compress the crap out of your DIs. Upon further investigation, I do not have this problem, and am fairly certian its because I always have my Clean Sense all the way down (-12dB). Here is a comparison shot Keith did of a DI using a Countryman DI box (bottom) and the KPA DI (top).

[Blocked Image: https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1454919_708660622495973_624039551_n.jpg]

I am sure this has probably been discussed somewhere before, but I had no idea. I always assumed the DI of the KPA was a legit DI.

• While discussing about the new threshold on the input led, lighting red at -12dB with hot pickups, it has been told it's actually hard to clip the input for real, even when input lighting red, because of the headroom of the input AND an internal SOFT LIMITER...

A soft limiter being basically a compressor, it may explain this, no ?

• While discussing about the new threshold on the input led, lighting red at -12dB with hot pickups, it has been told it's actually hard to clip the input for real, even when input lighting red, because of the headroom of the input AND an internal SOFT LIMITER...

A soft limiter being basically a compressor, it may explain this, no ?

Ah, I didn't remember that. But that would explain the compression. A limiter is basically a really high ratio compressor, it won't let any peaks through past a certain threshold.

Any way to bypass the limiter for recording di's, anyone?

• OK my bad, I think i've been fooled by the terms 'hard limits' and 'soft clipping' (vs 'soft knee' and that kind of things)...

CK:

The Profiler is not designed like a classic digital device with hard limits. It is soft. The soft clipping is actually much softer clipping than a tube has ever clipped! (Yes, that is possible.) It is hard to make a bad sound by applying too much level.