Stomp / effect DI profiles

• I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I would really like a way to profile my stomp box collection, rather than making a profile with that stomp box already in line. I would imagine that a different type of algorithm would be needed, but it seems that it would be possible to simple take the direct out from the Kemper, into the pedal, then back into the Kemper. Then throughout the profiling process, the Kemper could maybe prompt the user to sweep parameter "A" from it's lowest to highest value, then Parameter "B" and so on. This way, the Kemper could memorize the full range of adjustability for each pedal / processor / effect. It seems like this should be possible & add a lot of flexibility to people's rigs! Thoughts?

• +1, I'm newish but I haven't found any instruction on this so I assume it's not possible yet. I have a nice collection of fuzz pedals I'd love to profile and upload. Even if it's a static profile of 1 great setting, that would be enough for me. :)

• True that, unless Kemper could condense it to an fx slot snapshot that required less cpu.

Even so, you could run 2 Kempers in series if it had a 'stomp mode', it would certainly be handy for recording.

• Unless you're talking about distortion pedals (and in general anything exclusively related to EQ, gain, distortion), the Profiler is just not designed for this kind of operation, what it does is comparing the profiled device's tone/gain/dynamic response structure to its internal models, and "desume differences". Adding what you ask for would make a completely different product out of it, which has nothing to do with Kemper's patent. The two things are not even in the same ballpark, it would be like asking Ferrari to add 4-wheels traction and locking differential to have more fun off-road!

Furthermore, the FX slots are meant for modelled "devices"... you'd redesign the unit from scratch.

:)

• Well if the cab can be separated from the amp by comparing to internal models, it sounds feasible you could have an internal fuzz or distortion model to separate an inline gain-related pedal's profile...

Plus if you could run 2 Kempers in series with the first being the stomp box, you'd just need the 1st Kemper's output impedance converted to interace with the 2nd one's input correctly.

• if the cab can be separated from the amp by comparing to internal models, it sounds feasible you could have an internal fuzz or distortion model to separate an inline gain-related pedal's profile...

Gain-related devices can indeed be profiled by the KPA, but not the others.
    My point is: what would you do with this detection? You can't run two profiles together, and should run the profiled/detected distortion pedal alone, with no amp. Unless you use two units, as you correctly hinted.

:)

• Gain-related devices can indeed be profiled by the KPA, but not the others.

I personally was only talking about fuzz and distortion pedals, I don't think the OP mentioned otherwise either.

So, you are saying we can profile them standalone now? Can you point me to any info on that, ie what profile to start with (a preamp perhaps?) and settings like the cab etc?

what would you do with this detection? You can't run two profiles together, and should run the profiled/detected distortion pedal alone, with no amp. Unless you use two units, as you correctly hinted.

Recording, once I get my 2nd Kemper for my bass player. So yes, stomps in one feeding amps in another. They would be set up for tracking or reamping 2 different profiles at once L and R, quite a quick way to check different blends, so from there it's just a quick patch to run stomps into amps.

That's of course, assuming it does a decent profile of a fuzz/distortion pedal, I haven't seen any yet. :)

• It might be that the OP was referring to distortion fx only, but he talked of "parameter A, Parameter B, and "pedal / processor / effect", which had me thinking of fx in general.

You don't see many around because you can't use any (virtual) amp with them (if you own only one Profiler); and, since you get the "Cab" part profiled along, switching cabs would sound weirdly I guess. But I bet there're some on the RE...

For reference about profiling, feel free to d/l the pdf from my sig :) See the "Profiling stomps/FX" chapter.

• For reference about profiling, feel free to d/l the pdf from my sig :) See the "Profiling stomps/FX" chapter.

Thanks for the tip, nice work on that wiki btw! :)

I may try profiling one and then test it into the front of an amp for now, cheers.